How Do you Quit? (Teal Deer Coming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
How do you quit writing? Completely?

As in, 'been there, done that, moving on with my life now'?

I've been writing a new novel and I can tell the work is utterly dismal. Fourteen years and I still write crap? I tell myself this and it only makes me more determined to keep on going. It's as if a part of me still entertains delusions that I am a good writer.

Granted, I'm not a bad writer. I can string together a coherent sentence and can almost make up convincing characters, settings, and plots. But I know my work lacks that special quality that makes it readable, publishable, even memorable. I can tell when I'm reading bad or good writing, which says something, but. . .

I came here to see if I had the stuff to be a real writer. Once, I thought I did. Now, I know I don't. Every time I try to quit, however, I find myself inexorably drawn back to the page. It's a habit, you see, one that I can't seem to break.

Advice, tips, general punches to the face--all of it would be appreciated. Thanks.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I don't know how to stop writing. I've been writing my whole life and after 35 years I finally finished a novel. It's in my blood and I can't seem to stop writing. This past year was the first year I took my writing serious and tried to get published. I'm still on that journey, but am satisfied that at last I've completed two novels. It only took me those 35 years to do it though. I still have moments I wonder who do I think I am in trying to get published, but I'm addicted. If published credits are never achieved, I'll still be writing. I know this didn't help, but good luck.:)

Riley

Registered
Reaction score
I've found quitting writing -- well depending on what you call writing -- to be easier than quitting absolute write.

All too true, Pink.

Look at this gem I dug up from one of my compy files from when I was thirteen or fourteen years old: "I'm gonna be a great authoress. I know I can write. I'm gonna win prizes!" Ugh, reading that makes me feel so old.

:cry:AW, I haven't been completely honest. Most of the things I've been putting up for critique were written nearly a year ago. My recent writing is worse, much worse. I wish I knew what happened to me.

I hate writing and I'm tired of pretending I don't. I wish I could just up and quit. It's almost like recovering from bulimia--a terrible, lonely, agonizing process.

Okay, enough emo. Maybe I'll go haunt the critique section. Reading and critiquing always makes me feel better.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
How do you quit breathing?

Seriously though, why do you need to quit? I find that writing is a great emotional outlet for me. So I honestly think that, even if I conclude that all I write is crap and I will never be published, I'll still be writing. (and believe me, some days I'm pretty certain that I'm a crap writer who will never be published)

And maybe it's not your writing talent that's dismal-maybe this new story idea just hasn't excited you the way it should. Or maybe you've just got the first draft blues and you just need to push through it.

Though if you really feel like you hate writing and all you're getting out of it is feeling bad about yourself, then maybe you could find another creative outlet. There's more than one way to tell a story, after all.

Anyways, yeah. The best way to quit one habit is to find something else to fill the void. (Did I say 'habit'? Sorry, I meant interest... yeah. *shifty look*)

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Don't quit.

If you're a writer, you can't quit. It's not just something you do, it's something you are.

You can get better with practice, and writers are rarely as bad as they think.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
It seems to me that you're talking about two different things:
  1. writing
  2. being a writer (that matches some fixed standard of what it means to "be a writer")

You could continue writing and at the same time let go of your standard of "being a writer", or at least stop holding yourself to that standard.

Dale

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Riley, big hugs.

You really hate writing? Try giving it up for one month. Mark it off on the calendar. Don't write anything. See how you feel at the end of that month. It may tell you something.

Then again, it might not. :) Either way, you're still super wonderful!

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you're writing the wrong kind of stuff, maybe novels aren't your thing, try children's, try a different genre, try short stories, try non-fiction.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If most of the things you post here are from a year ago and your writing, as you claim, is worse than that now, what you should really do is suck it up and put the new writing up. Get some critiques, get some answers to the question, "What am I doing wrong?" It could be something very simple. It could be . . . wait for it . . . nothing. You might be so paranoid now, having read more stuff, having read the stuff here, that you THINK your writing is awful. Authors are often the worst judges of their own work.

I don't think you want to quit really. I think you want your writing to improve. If your writing was up to your standard would you quit? No. So don't take the easy route. Fix the problem, don't run away from it. I wouldn't say this to just anyone, but it is so obvious you have a passion for writing, and it would be sad if you just gave up.

Suck it up and solve the problem man! You're strong enough! You can do it!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate writing and I'm tired of pretending I don't. I wish I could just up and quit. It's almost like recovering from bulimia--a terrible, lonely, agonizing process.

Okay, enough emo. Maybe I'll go haunt the critique section. Reading and critiquing always makes me feel better.

If you have a love affair with the written word, but find that you enjoy critiquing and reading, perhaps you're an editor. Maybe writing is something you do on the side as fun (with no pressure on yourself) and editing is your passion.

Riley

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of good replies. I'm sorry that I can't reply to all the details of them:

Seriously though, why do you need to quit? I find that writing is a great emotional outlet for me. So I honestly think that, even if I conclude that all I write is crap and I will never be published, I'll still be writing. (and believe me, some days I'm pretty certain that I'm a crap writer who will never be published)

I don't know, writing was never an "outlet" for me, except when I was much younger. Heck, I don't even know why I write these days. I don't really care about publishing, getting exposure, making money, getting ideas on paper, exploring new worlds, etc. It's just. . . something I've always done.

You could continue writing and at the same time let go of your standard of "being a writer", or at least stop holding yourself to that standard.

I think it's the lack of standard that's killing me here.

I don't think you want to quit really. I think you want your writing to improve. If your writing was up to your standard would you quit? No. So don't take the easy route. Fix the problem, don't run away from it. I wouldn't say this to just anyone, but it is so obvious you have a passion for writing, and it would be sad if you just gave up.

If my writing was up-to-standard I'm not sure I'd even be making this post =\.

If you have a love affair with the written word, but find that you enjoy critiquing and reading, perhaps you're an editor. Maybe writing is something you do on the side as fun (with no pressure on yourself) and editing is your passion.

Actually, that sounds a lot like me. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I guess I have some thinking to do.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If my writing was up-to-standard I'm not sure I'd even be making this post =\.

You misunderstood me. You claim your writing is not up to standard and that's why you are quitting. And I was pointing out that that alone, to me, wasn't a good enough reason. You are quitting not because you lack passion, not because you can't write a coherent sentence (as evidence here in this thread, you are a fine writer). But simply because right now you aren't up to a standard you think you ought to be at.

I thought running away was not necessarily the right answer therefore. If you didn't want to write because you didn't enjoy it, or found it boring, then I would say "go ahead, quit". But since you do have the passion, instead of running away, I suggested posting your latest work here, getting some honest feedback, and working on improving.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar insecurity when it comes to writing. I have quit numerous times these past few years I began writing. I would get an inspiration and try it for a few weeks, maybe a month. Then quit. I would quit not because I didn't like the story, characters or anything related to the creative moments in the process. I quit because of my insecurity with the technical aspect of writing. I mean, what is the point of investing so much time and your life into 80,000 to 100,000 words when you might have to start all over and rewrite it? C'mon! I consider that a fools game.

So what I have been doing is writing in 1,000-3,000 word spurts of beginnings of novels, constantly upgrading and trying to make it "readable"-"passable." That's the point right? As soon as I get it right, then wouldn't it seem reasonable to continue and finish the story, then submit it to agents? That to me was the most reasonable answer. I hate the idea of wasting good story ideas and having to trunk them and mutilate them later because of a new writing style I have to try hoping it will make me "readable"-"passable."

I'm still on that road, and not quite sure yet on "how to write." This seems to be the key through the first door in the Entertainment Industry. Once that is accomplished the next step would be to write something worth reading. Whatever that may be.

I found critiques very valuable in showing faults in the writing. I'm still on the hunt for more, but I think I've currently reached the peak on my current writing venture. I may have to go into hibernation again. Oh well.

I hope this gave an easier idea on approaching the writing process without having to invest so much time and effort. Which, in my opinion, could destroy someone's ambition when they fail. But with less investment, their could be a little hope left. I don't know which way would ultimately be smarter/wiser, but I'm taking the less approach now. This could still mean I'm on the long slow road to failure instead of a big bang by going forward with anything and everything I am capable of at the moment.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
Do you actually enjoy writing? If so I'm not sure why you would want to quit.

Riley

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about what you guys said before making another reply.

You misunderstood me. You claim your writing is not up to standard and that's why you are quitting. And I was pointing out that that alone, to me, wasn't a good enough reason. You are quitting not because you lack passion, not because you can't write a coherent sentence (as evidence here in this thread, you are a fine writer). But simply because right now you aren't up to a standard you think you ought to be at.

I feel it's the passion that's missing from the work. Before, when I was determined to be the best thing since Ray Bradbury, JRR Tolkein, and Brian Jacques (I kid you not), I wrote because I loved making up stories and I saw myself as following the footsteps of those I admired. Now, I've grown up a lot and I find that I don't admire in the way I used to.

The passion always comes back when I read books, poetry, heck--even newspaper articles. But it quickly dies away. Everything I write feels forced, like, 'what's the point?' Now that I'm here considering it, it feels so strange to me. It hurts, too, if that makes any sense at all.

I thought running away was not necessarily the right answer therefore. If you didn't want to write because you didn't enjoy it, or found it boring, then I would say "go ahead, quit". But since you do have the passion, instead of running away, I suggested posting your latest work here, getting some honest feedback, and working on improving.

I did post my latest work here, like you suggested, called "Shellfish Shrimp". I'm surprised it got the responses it did.

I hope this gave an easier idea on approaching the writing process without having to invest so much time and effort. Which, in my opinion, could destroy someone's ambition when they fail. But with less investment, their could be a little hope left. I don't know which way would ultimately be smarter/wiser, but I'm taking the less approach now. This could still mean I'm on the long slow road to failure instead of a big bang by going forward with anything and everything I am capable of at the moment.

Interesting ideas. I'm amazed that you could maintain interest for so long. I applaud you for it. You have the stomach to be a writer, I think.

Do you actually enjoy writing? If so I'm not sure why you would want to quit.

I have no idea, at all. Maybe I hate writing, maybe I'm indifferent to it. It's funny how I keep writing drabbles here, a short there, a piece of a novel somewhere else. I started writing so young I don't remember the reason why I started at all.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I started writing so young I don't remember the reason why I started at all.
Might it be because you found a way to escape into a world of your own device? I used to pretend a lot as a kid growing up in the poor side of America. We had to make believe that there was more to life than scraping by on government subsidies. So we had to make believe and I always used my imagination to forget the life of poverty as a kid.

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
How do you quit writing? Completely?

As in, 'been there, done that, moving on with my life now'?

I've been writing a new novel and I can tell the work is utterly dismal. Fourteen years and I still write crap? I tell myself this and it only makes me more determined to keep on going. It's as if a part of me still entertains delusions that I am a good writer.

Granted, I'm not a bad writer. I can string together a coherent sentence and can almost make up convincing characters, settings, and plots. But I know my work lacks that special quality that makes it readable, publishable, even memorable. I can tell when I'm reading bad or good writing, which says something, but. . .

I came here to see if I had the stuff to be a real writer. Once, I thought I did. Now, I know I don't. Every time I try to quit, however, I find myself inexorably drawn back to the page. It's a habit, you see, one that I can't seem to break.

Advice, tips, general punches to the face--all of it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you ever actually submitted your work? If I were you, I would try that before dumping my writing entirely.

Seriously, you will always be your own worst critic. Give yourself a break, and let some qualified agents/editors/whatever else there might be that look at manuscripts, have a go at it.

I hope this encourages you somewhat. I wouldn't give up if I were you, until I had heard some professional opinions about my work.

:)

Riley

Registered
Reaction score
Might it be because you found a way to escape into a world of your own device? I used to pretend a lot as a kid growing up in the poor side of America. We had to make believe that there was more to life than scraping by on government subsidies. So we had to make believe and I always used my imagination to forget the life of poverty as a kid.

When I was about five years older, yes. But before? No way. I had a great life. It's good that you found a way to enjoy yourself when you were younger, though.

Have you ever actually submitted your work? If I were you, I would try that before dumping my writing entirely.

Yes, I have. I submitted about ten different pieces. The two that stand out most are the ones I sent to Ideomancer. The magazine was so small I was fortunate enough to get actual small critiques on my work. For one, the plot was overdone. The second, what I wrote about was a conceit, not a real story.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was another, slightly larger, online 'zine I submitted to that I got a small comment on. I had written a story where the protagonist died. The 'zine rejected it because they felt the ending to the story wouldn't satisfy the readers. I agreed. I didn't like the story at all, however, so I just put it away. I remember what it was called, too: "Lady-in-Waiting".

Seriously, you will always be your own worst critic. Give yourself a break, and let some qualified agents/editors/whatever else there might be that look at manuscripts, have a go at it.

Isn't it funny how, when we start writing, we're convinced that we're pretty good? Then, when we get older and more experienced, we think we're awful? Or maybe that's just me?

I submitted another story about three days ago to a 'zine. For the sake of my sanity, I don't want to talk about where I subbed.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
It would be the rare individual indeed who could dedicate themselves to a task for so long and not improve in some way. More than likely, it's not that your writing is worse now than it was, but that you are able to recognize some of the flaws and shortcomings that you were previously unaware of. In other words, you've grown as a writer.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Do you enjoy the process of writing?

No? Then quit and do something you enjoy.

Yes?
Then don't quit. Why do writer's assume they have to be published for it be worth writing?

I mean I like gardening but I'm rubbish at it ( dog ate my lawn). Doesn't stop me doing it, cos I enjoy it.

I write because I enjoy it, not because I have a burning desire to be better than Hemmingway. If I get published, that will be the icing on the cake ( cue nervous breakdown and vats of beer:))

Just write because that is what you like to do. What's wrong with that?

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
Do you enjoy the process of writing?

No? Then quit and do something you enjoy.

Yes?
Then don't quit. Why do writer's assume they have to be published for it be worth writing?

I mean I like gardening but I'm rubbish at it ( dog ate my lawn). Doesn't stop me doing it, cos I enjoy it.

I write because I enjoy it, not because I have a burning desire to be better than Hemmingway. If I get published, that will be the icing on the cake ( cue nervous breakdown and vats of beer:))

Just write because that is what you like to do. What's wrong with that?

I could not agree more. Writing without the enjoyment, just to get published, would be the hardest thing in the world and would most likely produce some pretty horrible work. If you enjoy it then carry on, there are rewards other than being published to be found.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
I've known a lot of people who couldn't play the guitar worth a damn, but they enjoy it so much, they continue to mess around on it whenever they get the chance. You're letting yourself become bogged down in the idea that in order for your hobby to be valid, it has to produce something of value to others, when that isn't necessarily true - if it makes you happy and doesn't detract from your work or your relationships, you don't ever have to be good for it to be worthwhile.

If it is detracting from your work and your relationships, you may want to scale it back a bit, but dissatisfaction with your performance is no reason to quit, especially if you love it as much as you seem to. My nephew may never, ever play in a band or master the guitar, but when he jumps around his room in his boxer shorts and pretends he's playing to crowds of screaming girls, it really doesn't matter, does it?

CasualObserver

Registered
Reaction score
Why would you want to?

Writers aren't made, they're born. Authors are another thing entirely. I suspect you're confusing the two and allowing it to suck all the fun out of your work. I've written some plotless dreck simply because it amused me, and then KEPT that plotless dreck around because it still amuses me years later.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Why would you want to?

Writers aren't made, they're born.

:gone:

I'm not going to work myself up over a personal opinion. I'm not going to work myself up over a personal opinion. I'm not...

*Takes deep breath, moves on to another thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.