Should I buy this book for research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used any books by Osprey Publishing? They're a military history publisher and their books seem to be exactly what I need but I noticed a HUGE typo in one of their preview pages! I want to order a couple of their books on Mycenae but this typo issue is making me wonder about the quality of their books and editing. I don't want to order and pay for a book that's a sham.

Here is their site:
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/index.php

Here is the typo: (on the contents page)
http://books.google.com/books?id=r-...y&lr=&sig=N4_iz9rUIpyzd3tC_ZaNTEC73D8#PPP2,M1

Any feedback and thoughts appreciated. The particular book I want isn't available anywhere in libraries or bookstores, I have to special order it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
They allow you to preview quite a few pages, which should give you a sense of whether it will be useful to you. You can also go to Amazon and check out reader reviews for this book and other Osprey titles (note: it also seems to be cheaper on Amazon, so there's less of an investment).

Unless their company history is a complete fabrication, they've been publishing for 40 years, so I doubt they're a sham. Also, my public library carries a number of books from this publisher, so are you sure your library can't get hold of them? Even if they aren't part of the collection, they might be available from interlibrary loan.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
It's alright, you can trust Osprey.

They are based in Oxford (England) and are a well known and trusted name over here.

Osprey publish very good operational accounts of battles and campaigns. Their maps are also very helpful. There will also be some details of weapons and commanders but very little social history.

Osprey do not analyze or provide much background history but they are good for their purpose. I once used one on the Battle of 1st Bull Run - told me what happened and where.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
You can go ahead. I've been using them for years. Osprey is a valuable source of information.

I'm missing this HUGE typo. What is it exactly?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto.

Osprey are good and really helpful for uniform details and solid basics.

Did you let them know about the error? They would be mortified and want to correct it.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
This by any chance wouldn't be the fact that the Brits spell Armor as Armour? Would it?

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
On the Contents page, it says "evoution" instead of "evolution."

I already bought the book anyway, and I'm pretty happy with it. I guess these things happen. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.