Ever been embarrassed by publishers marketing departments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I thought I was thick skinned, but the amount of gushing in this "puff" piece about my story was over the top, even for me :)

"Willie Meikle’s signature tempo has kept chins glued and shivering on the horror derby rail for more than a decade, with even his grittiest readers always longing for the safety of the finish line, fans that are guaranteed left feeling the welts of Willie’s literary whip for days thereafter."

Now, I understand it's a horse racing analogy... but trust me, there are no horses anywhere in the story.... :)

It goes on...

"When I finished reading “From Between,” I sensed beside me sitting in the shadows Edgar Allan Poe—not as a writer but as a fan"

Please ... no! Too much already!

There's more, but I won't inflict it on you :)

http://shortscarystories.blogspot.com/2008/03/just-purchased-willie-meikles-short.html

Anybody else been embarrassed by an over zealous marketing dept?

CasualObserver

Registered
Reaction score
I'd suspect the writer of that last piece of having designs on your body.

ReneC

Relapsed insomniac :(
Registered
Reaction score
That must have cost you a bundle. ;)

I've been embarrassed like that before, but not for my writing. Not yet, anyhow. Feels good, even though you know they really shouldn't have. Adore me...no, it's too much, I can't stand it...okay, just a little more.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:whip: Oh my. Someone was in the sauce that day. Not that I don't think you're wonderful, but you gotta love the hyperbole. You naughty whip you.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to have a marketing department embarrass me (because I've never published anything), but if I ever do, I'll preempt with, "no whips please."

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Willie, I've read your work since Kimota and you're good ....but that is over the top

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Ahh... Kimota. That was a great little zine.

God, I miss the old days.... huge quantities of brown envelopes, daisy-wheel printers that lost the "t" every 12 pages, and a small fortune in postage every year in submissions

There used to be hundreds of UK small press zines... most sadly gone by the wayside since the dawn of the internet. But at least Murky Depths and Ballista are carrying on the tradition... :)

Willie

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
And Midnight Street - run by a mate of mine

Status
Not open for further replies.