PDA

View Full Version : Open, or Closed Door policy at your house?

DWSTXS
03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Open, or Closed Door policy at your house?

I just was wondering.

At my house, there is a strict Closed Door policy

If you're going to be in the bathroom, taking care of your business, I want, no, I demand that that door remain closed. Especially if you are in there doing the 'dirtiest of all deeds.'

I know some of you out there are 'free thinkers' and all, and allow, even encourage, an Open Door policy.
Not me. Not at the mothership.

Plus, I want you to be civilized, and flush. I don't wanna have to go in there and see, or smell, your own personal hell that you left behind.
No souvenirs.

Just wondering.

CasualObserver
03-07-2008, 10:55 PM
What I'm wondering is, is this apropros of nothing or what did someone say (or do! *squick*) to you to kick off this line of thought?

escritora
03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Open, or Closed Door policy at your house?

I live alone so...open.

TrainofThought
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I live alone so...open.Ditto! No problems.

DWSTXS
03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
What I'm wondering is, is this apropros of nothing or what did someone say (or do! *squick*) to you to kick off this line of thought?

Well, I was just wondering. I'm newly single, and this could be a deal-breaker when casting about for soul-mates and the like.

Siddow
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I thought this would be about the FRONT door.

Closed. I have two rules: call before you come over, and call before you come over. :D

For the other, if you want an audience, rent an auditorium.

caromora
03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Hehe. Closed if other people are around. I don't want anybody watching me!

DWSTXS
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I thought this would be about the FRONT door.

Closed. I have two rules: call before you come over, and call before you come over. :D

For the other, if you want an audience, rent an auditorium.

If you leave your front door open all the time, then I'd bet that you have bigger problems than whether or not someone left some floaters

Inky
03-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Not only closed, but in 20 years of marriage, my husband has NEVAH heard ANYTHING...and if it's REALLY bad...I make him go for a drive...or blast the music...CLOSED DOOOR!!!!

When I was a kid, I had a neighbor I babysat for & they didn't have any doors on their masterbath. Ick, uber ick...ick..icky icky...blech...disgustimungo!!! They would just go...right there...in front of one another...absolutely beyond foul!

DWSTXS
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Not only closed, but in 20 years of marriage, my husband has NEVAH heard ANYTHING...and if it's REALLY bad...I make him go for a drive...or blast the music...CLOSED DOOOR!!!!

When I was a kid, I had a neighbor I babysat for & they didn't have any doors on their masterbath. Ick, uber ick...ick..icky icky...blech...disgustimungo!!!

You are perfect. I wish you could have had a sit-down with my ex-wife and explained some things...

Unique
03-07-2008, 11:28 PM
huh.

thankx for making me feel like a weirdo, you guys.

maybe the open doors go with my open mind. yeah, i'll bet that's it. :tongue

III
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
We're civilized at our house, thank you. We found an abandoned Port-A-John and put it in our front yard and we always close the door when using it since the police made us.

Inky
03-07-2008, 11:33 PM
No, some of us are just anal--no pun. When I was in labor, and hooked up to more tubes than I had veins to support, I...er...had to...um..tinkle...(gads, I'm dyin' here)...and my husband had to walk me to the bathroom in the room...and roll along the bags and tubes so I wouldn't stumble over all of it...and he swore it was okay to have the door open...I began to cry...I was going to hold tinkle, baby, and all until that damned door was as shut as possible...bless his heart...his arm was nearly cut off, closing the door as hard against it as he could...and he began singing this awful rap song, spitting and all, so he wouldn't hear tinkle hitting the water--another of my absolute horrors to be heard--and no, he doesn't tease me about it...some things a man knows...he just KNOWS he will die in his sleep if he EVAH mentions that most horrific moment!!!!!

Inky
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
We're civilized at our house, thank you. We found an abandoned Port-A-John and put it in our front yard and we always close the door when using it since the police made us.

Thanx.
Just choked on tea....kids pounding my back....I'll....be....back...can't breathe...

Unique
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
thanks, inky. i feel better. it's a little clearer which one of us needs therapy....

tip toes away quietly....then RUNS

JoNightshade
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Open if it's number 1, closed if number 2. No idea why, but this is how it turned out.

Of course, once we have kids we'll be switching to a strict closed door policy. :)

kristie911
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
When I'm home alone, door open, sometimes. If someone (including my 3 year old son) is in the house with me...door closed. And if it's someone besides my son, I close my bedroom door and then the bathroom door (I have a bathroom off the bedroom in addition to the main bathroom).

When I was married? Door closed...always. I don't care how much I like someone, I don't want to know what you're doing in there...nor do you need to know what I'm doing. They put doors on the bathroom for a reason!

Mel
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
My husband and I have been together for too many years for there to be any secrets between us. He rarely closes the door, unless someone else is here. Sometimes I close it, sometimes not, but yes for me also if someone else is in the house.

Inky
03-07-2008, 11:50 PM
thanks, inky. i feel better. it's a little clearer which one of us needs therapy....

tip toes away quietly....then RUNS
:e2tongue:
:e2tongue:

You know...everytime I see this tongue thingy...it makes me...er...um...is this the erotica thread? No? Oh. Yeah...uh....nevah mind!

Inky
03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
It suddenly dawned on me that we're having an educated poll discussion regarding shit.

Either I'm being punked, or this is slowly turning into South Park.

sunna
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Closed: definitely, all the time, closed. Bathroom time is alone time in my house - which policy may stem from growing up with 3 younger siblings and a horde of younger cousins, I dunno.

Jaycinth
03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
CLOSED!!!!
Even when I was married. CLOSED!!!!

Even when the kids are not home...

CLOSED!!! (the cats will 'regard' you if the door is open. It is bad enough that a trip to the bathroom always ends with at least one cat sitting outside the door when you are ready to leave)

And at work I've been known to travel to other floors if the restroom is occupied....Yes there are doors to the stalls.

AND III....we put our porta potty in the BACK YARD behind the shed.

Front Yard Indeed!

Dare I call III a hick?

Hick.

Unique
03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
They put doors on the bathroom for a reason!

What's going on in my closet then, missy! My closet has a door as well.

Inky
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
OH, Gawd..the cats...how could I have forgotten 'bout the cats. I have one, my old man--I've had him for 16 years--that has bathroom radar. If I get up to get water, he remains comatose. Somehow, he knows if it's a bathroom run. He jumps down from heating pad--don't ask--and makes a beeline for the bathroom...his belly swaying side to side, sometimes even skids 'round the corner on his side...then cuddles against my foot, lies down, and waits out the...um..well...you know.

And, if I make the mistake of getting to the bathroom and shooing him out? OMG...he scratches at the door, howls like a bitch in heat...it's horrific...his howling sounds like a child screaming...I'm surrounded by neighbors that are cops...I just KNOW one of them wonders what we're doing over here....

And don't get me started on the perv cat when I take a bath...the only time fat ass jumps anywhere without assistance is to sit on the ledge of the tub, and watch, and occassionally bat at tits...bastard!

What?
WHAT?
Y'all don't have these issues?
Um....I guess it's safe to say I just lost cool points, eh?

Personally, I think this cat was my husband in a past life.

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 12:28 AM
well, there is a guy here in Dallas, who will NOT do a no. 2 unless he is at home. Or completely alone. He spent a weekend with a new girlfriend, and actually rented a hotel room near her place, so he could go there when he needed to do that. On top of THAT, he claims that he NEVER does no 2 unless he is completely nude. So, when he goes to do that, he will take off ALL his clothes, even socks, and hang them on the door hook in the stall.

now, that is psychiatry material

Inky
03-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Huh...I had a friend who's kid was like that...wonder...he'd be all grown up now...I knew he was gonna grow up to have powerful issues...course, ye' nevah can say that to the momma...but the quirky things that kid would do...like cut out the toes of his socks because he didn't like his toes sticking together...and his shoes having to be a size too big because he didn't like anything touching his toes...his underwear had to be 2 sizes bigger because he didn't like anything touching his....

I knew a guy once that felt the need to strip down just to eat dinner. It proved to be a short relationship. Some things I just don't wanna see while dipping mi' shrimp into cocktail sauce...

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Huh...I had a friend who's kid was like that...wonder...he'd be all grown up now...I knew he was gonna grow up to have powerful issues...course, ye' nevah can say that to the momma...but the quirky things that kid would do...like cut out the toes of his socks because he didn't like his toes sticking together...and his shoes having to be a size too big because he didn't like anything touching his toes...his underwear had to be 2 sizes bigger because he didn't like anything touching his....

I knew a guy once that felt the need to strip down just to eat dinner. It proved to be a short relationship. Some things I just don't wanna see while dipping mi' shrimp into cocktail sauce...

gives new meaning to the words Jumbo Shrimp

Devil Ledbetter
03-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why every time I shut the bathroom door, every single member of my household decides they "need" me and starts calling my name, or coming a knockin', and answer my annoyed "Whaaaat? Can't it wait?" with "I love you, Mom!"

I've answered with comments about privacy so often that when my youngest was learning to talk, she thought the toilet was literally called "the private seat."

The short version is, I'm a closed door person in a household of open-door people.

Stew21
03-08-2008, 01:56 AM
The short version is, I'm a closed door person in a household of open-door people.

ditto.

Shadow_Ferret
03-08-2008, 02:12 AM
I close the door and lock it. There's been too many times where I've been interrupted with, *click, open* "Dad? What are you doing?"

But even when I've lived alone, I've closed the door. I can't imagine doing it with the door open. That just seems so strange to me.

JLCwrites
03-08-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why every time I shut the bathroom door, every single member of my household decides they "need" me and starts calling my name, or coming a knockin', and answer my annoyed "Whaaaat? Can't it wait?" with "I love you, Mom!"

I've answered with comments about privacy so often that when my youngest was learning to talk, she thought the toilet was literally called "the private seat."

I love it in the summer when the windows are open, and the neighbors can hear my kids shouting... "Mom! Are you going potty?" Of course my answer is .. "No! I am putting on make-up! Now... GO AWAY!"

davids
03-08-2008, 02:32 AM
huh.

thankx for making me feel like a weirdo, you guys.

maybe the open doors go with my open mind. yeah, i'll bet that's it. :tongue

probably as simple as there are some people-namely ones such as yourself who do not need to shut the door because even if there are viable alternatives-re odor and red facedness-there are others such as moi who should not be viewed in that situation because it might be enough charge me with man or woman slaughter-what a silly topic-MMMM-wonder what day it is today????:D

escritora
03-08-2008, 02:32 AM
well, there is a guy here in Dallas, who will NOT do a no. 2 unless he is at home. Or completely alone. He spent a weekend with a new girlfriend, and actually rented a hotel room near her place, so he could go there when he needed to do that.

This is the kind of guy I'd date. Seriously. I know it sounds like I'm teasing. But I'm not. I want me one of him.

Devil Ledbetter
03-08-2008, 02:48 AM
This is the kind of guy I'd date. Seriously. I know it sounds like I'm teasing. But I'm not. I want me one of him.Avoid constipated people at all costs! They are the most aggravating.

MMWyrm
03-08-2008, 03:00 AM
well, there is a guy here in Dallas, who will NOT do a no. 2 unless he is at home. Or completely alone. He spent a weekend with a new girlfriend, and actually rented a hotel room near her place, so he could go there when he needed to do that.

Oh my gosh. I think I dated him too! We once had to drive 2 hours home from a state park because he was suddenly taken with the urge.

I'm a closed door girl, but my boys are fine with open door. I have to fix this before they get much older.

Sonneillon
03-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Open door, I'm afraid. I've been married a year and a half, about, but for some reason we just got into the habit of not closing the door. It's not like either of us hovers outside the bathroom, and we always close the door if the business is serious, but otherwise, nah.

I think it's because of my cat. If you shut her out of the bathroom, she throws a very loud fit.

Sonneillon
03-08-2008, 03:35 AM
OH, Gawd..the cats...how could I have forgotten 'bout the cats. I have one, my old man--I've had him for 16 years--that has bathroom radar. If I get up to get water, he remains comatose. Somehow, he knows if it's a bathroom run. He jumps down from heating pad--don't ask--and makes a beeline for the bathroom...his belly swaying side to side, sometimes even skids 'round the corner on his side...then cuddles against my foot, lies down, and waits out the...um..well...you know.

And, if I make the mistake of getting to the bathroom and shooing him out? OMG...he scratches at the door, howls like a bitch in heat...it's horrific...his howling sounds like a child screaming...I'm surrounded by neighbors that are cops...I just KNOW one of them wonders what we're doing over here....

And don't get me started on the perv cat when I take a bath...the only time fat ass jumps anywhere without assistance is to sit on the ledge of the tub, and watch, and occassionally bat at tits...bastard!

What?
WHAT?
Y'all don't have these issues?
Um....I guess it's safe to say I just lost cool points, eh?

Personally, I think this cat was my husband in a past life.

No, I have this problem. I commiserate entirely.

I think I know why so many of these boys are closed-door advocates, though... as Carlos Mencia said, "I EAT at that restaurant!"

CABNU-DSN14180226562
03-08-2008, 03:42 AM
I close the door but I leave the cameras on. (cause the peep holes use to let in too much cold air!)
:D

MonaLeigh
03-08-2008, 03:46 AM
I leave the door open (and if I didn't my 2 year old would open it anyway or throw a crying fit b/c, God forbid, mommy left his side for a second). My husband closes it to dicourage said 2 year old from coming in.

lute
03-08-2008, 04:59 AM
If family is around, closed. If I'm home alone... also closed, because my cat will rush in and jump on my lap. It's... awkward to say the least. When I close it I can see his paws clawing beneath the door. He loves watching the toilet flush, the moron.

My mom has an open door policy for everything. It's damaging.

otterman
03-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Inky, you've got to get your own sitcom. You've got some great material and your delivery is impeccable. Very humorous.

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Inky, you've got to get your own sitcom. You've got some great material and your delivery is impeccable. Very humorous.

Sitcoms? Come on, people, we're being serious here. I won't truck with silliness.

The daily vagaries of being a human bean on this here planet is nothing to laugh about. I'm serious.

Unique
03-08-2008, 05:27 AM
...if we couldn't laugh we would all go insane...

some famous guy said that. i have to sneak into the bathroom if i want to be alone. i.e. close the door. the cats rush the door and beat me in there.

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 05:32 AM
what's really weird about the cat thing (and I have 2 - Munchie and Millie), is that their sense of smell is 10 times better than ours. That alone would make me want to avoid that room. Yet they still insist upon being hall monitors and checking us in and out of the bathroom.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-08-2008, 06:07 AM
30 years of marriage and a year of living together - there is nothing Ol' Boy and I have not seen, smelled, or heard. Since we have no kids, open doors all around.

Bless his heart, he's a long-suffering man married to a woman whose sense of humor regarding bodily function was passed to her from her warped father: farts are to be graded for decibel level, stench, and length; bodily emissions are fodder for hilarity; and 'silent but deadly' is my nickname... and he's quite proud himself of having taken the title in all three within the first five years of marriage from yours truly.

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 06:12 AM
30 years of marriage and a year of living together - there is nothing Ol' Boy and I have not seen, smelled, or heard. Since we have no kids, open doors all around.

Bless his heart, he's a long-suffering man married to a woman whose sense of humor regarding bodily function was passed to her from her warped father: farts are to be graded for decibel level, stench, and length; bodily emissions are fodder for hilarity; and 'silent but deadly' is my nickname... and he's quite proud himself of having taken the title in all three within the first five years of marriage from yours truly.

I can't even comprehend this. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the barking spiders.

astonwest
03-08-2008, 06:20 AM
We have no children, so we generally leave the door to our master bathroom open unless the other person is sleeping in the attached bedroom.

When there are no guests around, the hall bathroom door stays open.

When there are guests around, our master bathroom door still remains open, because no one should be walking back into our bedroom.

If there's a rank stench inside, the doors generally get closed out of common decency.

Soccer Mom
03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
I have to close and lock doors if I wish for privacy (which I most assuredly do.)

As for the boys? Shoot, I'm just happy when I can get them to stop peeing in the yard. I wish I was kidding.

The other they do inside. I insist on the door being closed. My eldest considers this his quality time with his PSP or a good book. He's a little clone of his father.

I'm such a lucky girl.

Inky
03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I love it in the summer when the windows are open, and the neighbors can hear my kids shouting... "Mom! Are you going potty?" Of course my answer is .. "No! I am putting on make-up! Now... GO AWAY!"
I'd faint dead away...

D? Barking spiders? Gads, I'm learning much today--from your other thread, I'll now NEVAH eat peanut butter, nor look upon an onion without squinching, and gasping a girly: eeeewwwwww!

Voyager
03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
There's a door on the bathroom????

Inky
03-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I hate hearing women say: I gotta go pee--or 'pee' in any context of revelations.

Sorry, but why do I need to know this? Why can't you be a lady about it? Uber ick. Can't you say: I'll be back in a minute--if you really must make an exit announcement?
Ugh. It never failed, whatever career I'd lost my mind to, there was some buttercream barbie who would blow the whole image with a huff, push of her chair, stand up & stretch, and then: I gotta go pee...

Oooooh, thank you for the visual of how you'll be dripping for a few minutes. Cookie? Or would you prefer a STICKER?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I can't even comprehend this. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the barking spiders.

Oh, my... barking spiders, loose floor joists, sub-sonic booms, cutting some cheese...

I hate hearing women say: I gotta go pee--or 'pee' in any context of revelations.

Sorry, but why do I need to know this? Why can't you be a lady about it? Uber ick. Can't you say: I'll be back in a minute--if you really must make an exit announcement?
Ugh. It never failed, whatever career I'd lost my mind to, there was some buttercream barbie who would blow the whole image with a huff, push of her chair, stand up & stretch, and then: I gotta go pee...

Oooooh, thank you for the visual of how you'll be dripping for a few minutes. Cookie? Or would you prefer a STICKER?

Oh, dear, Ink! You wouldn't be able to stand it around here!

Now, if y'all will excuse me... it's time to go pee. :D

Unique
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I hate hearing women say: I gotta go pee--or 'pee' in any context of revelations

"I gotta go see a man about a dog." :tongue

I hung out with guys a lot growing up ... can you tell? ;)

Inky
03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I was a major tomboy, and STILL couldn't/can't say that word. AND I expect a man to be a gentleman, not make some horrific announcement about his bathroom errand, the smell, texture, size, color....er...well...I ESPECIALLY wouldn't want to know HOW he came to KNOW the TEXTURE...heehehheehe...my bad!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-08-2008, 11:05 PM
"Good gods! Just gave birth to a nation!"

bluntforcetrauma
03-08-2008, 11:11 PM
A very taboo, embarrassing and disgusting subject.

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
also: There goes a mouse on a motorcycle!

Can someone please explain the phrase "I gotta go see a man about a dog."

I've never gotten this one.

Inky
03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
"Good gods! Just gave birth to a nation!"
:eek::Jaw:

:ROFL:

Inky
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
'sounds like a cow hitting a piss-rock'

:e2shrug:

It's my one and only that I've heard...in a movie...oh, and 'I just pushed a bowling ball from my ass...STRIKE!'

*shudder*

I can't believe you sucked me into this thread, D! I was quite pure until you came around.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
There goes a mouse on a motorcycle!

:roll: I'll use that one next time! It's a new one!

Can someone please explain the phrase "I gotta go see a man about a dog."

I've never gotten this one.

Same as "I gotta go see a woman about a cat." It's got no connection whatsoever that I know of... just a 'polite' way to say, "I gotta go do the unmentionable!" back before nothing became 'unmentionable'.

Here in Okiehoma, it's "sounds like a cow pissin' on a flat rock".

I can't believe you sucked me into this thread, D! I was quite pure until you came around.

Yeah. Mmmm. Right. Uh... I think I hear my mom callin'. Gotta go! kthxbi!

DWSTXS
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM

It's my one and only that I've heard...in a movie...oh, and 'I just pushed a bowling ball from my ass...STRIKE!'

*shudder*

Heh heh heh, and that my dear, is testament to the genius of my deviltry!

Inky
03-08-2008, 11:50 PM
*goes off in search of ivory white tower, bubble bath, and a kindly knight to draw said bath....AND NO TOILETS!!!!!*

:e2file:

czjaba
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Closed door for me and Hubby. Kids are learning about privacy, too, although they are only 3 and 6.

DWSTXS
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
*goes off in search of ivory white tower, bubble bath, and a kindly knight to draw said bath....AND NO TOILETS!!!!!*

:e2file:

Here you go Inky, go check out the hypothetical I posted near the end of this thread. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2135549#post2135549

Inky
03-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I answered your hypothetical, D.

Um....hope it's not too shocking...hehehehehee...warning: Rated 'R'

zahra
03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Can one rep a deleted post? (See above).:)

On subj, I live alone and I close, and sometimes lock the door. (I know, I know).

My sister's announcement of her visits to the loo: "Just going to pay my water bill." It drives me insane, I don't know why.