Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I know it's pretty rare, but I did once have an idea stolen early in my writing career. I know there are only so many ideas in the world, but this one was a pretty obvious theft. I was working in a very odd cemetery that had deer, peacocks, swans, a horse, and a llama. They held an annual Easter egg hunt on the grounds, had Santa at Christmas, and had a 10K run through the cemetery. I queried one of the tabloids (I think the Examiner), not mentioning I worked at the cemetery, and got "This idea isn't right for us." Not even a month later, the cemetery gets a letter from them asking for more information. I can't remember whether I passed it on or pitched it (I hope I pitched it, but I think I did pass it to the manager, who loved publicity), but I was pissed. No recourse, no proof, but pretty blatant.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh come on, there's no such thing as a stolen idea. Just an idea that's molded, and perfectly executed in stories.

Where did you think Authurian stories came from?

As for stolen stories, yes they do exist, this is why we as writers should have an attorney.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, folks, this is a very real issue--albeit, rare in this day & age.
Yes, I've had my work, idea, concept, whatever you wanna call it, stolen. What most people don't know is that once in a blue moon, an low-level editor will play dirty in order to get ahead. Yep, shocking. Manuscript is submitted, and rejected with the usual letter of 'not for us at this time'.
Nothing more shocking than, 2 years later, upon opening a book club catalog only to discover a HUGE name romance author has not only written your book--EVERY DETAIL--but even kept the same fricken character names, etc.,
My uncle's a huge author--non-fiction--so I called him, still in denial, telling myself 'no way, this couldn't be, no way, no way, now way!' He confirmed my fear to be real, though, again, rare, and most likely, with my pittance of cash flow at the time, also that I was shit outa luck in trying to take something like this to court. What some dirty editors will do is call an author that they do massive business with (and my wording here in regards to 'massive business' is not the professional position the author actually holds with these publishing houses, but my own quick description), pitch an idea, and the author, if interested, runs with it, agreeing they can have it done in X-amount of months..blah, blah, blah.
As time marches on, this is becoming almost a never happens anymore, for even the starving writer is more savvy about keeping records of everything they write.

Now, NOW I have those huuuuuuge blue Hefty storage bags fillllllled with printed manuscript copies from all the times I've edited....why, in this day & age of computer storage sticks? It's my proof. I'll dump that shit all over the fricken' courtroom. :)

Yes, I know, some of you will shake your head, argue, swear this is nothing more than a garbage tale. But to those of us that this has happened to, we know. We know there's nothing we can do but be infuriated, frustrated, and then...smarten up, and keep truckin' along. For me, this was 15 years ago. I assume it's just unheard of now?? I can only hope.

My uncle explained that another reason that I wouldn't stand a chance in court is that, the author couldn't be held responsible because they would not have known what was going on, they'd simply accepted a 'job'. I would have had to know the editor's name, and been able to show that, yes, this is the editor that had read my particular manuscript....this is the editor that contacted said author...you get the gist. Impossible because there were too many variables.

SideNote: I'm assuming low level editor. It could be big wig editor. I just don't know. All I DO know is, when you read a description for a book, you KNOW when it was YOUR work...YOUR manuscript...you KNOW.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you had that experience. If it was a manuscript you submitted and EVERY DETAIL, with the same character names was copied, then I would have thought it to be plain and clear provable plagiarism.

Is there perhaps a teeny weeny bit of embellishment going on here?

Last edited:

onlyhere

Non-deceased hearse rider
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure ideas can't be stolen. I think it is in the context it is written.
On another forum a writer who could barely get past her first chapter was suddenly writing scenes that were too similar to mine. If something happened to a character of mine, hers suddenly had a likewise experience. When I had a battle scene, she suddenly had a battle scene where the same things happened. I can't go as far as saying it was plagiarism, but it was pretty darn close.
The forum's owner felt that was too much and banned her after that.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone can steal an idea - they're not worth anything until converted to saleable words or whatever. Nothing you can do to protect your undeveloped idea other than not saying anything about it, and trust nobody else happens to think of it and develop it before you do.

With the development of the idea into a story, it's all in the quality.

Last edited:

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you had that experience. If it was a manuscript you submitted and EVERY DETAIL, with the same character names was copied, then I would have thought it to be plain and clear provable plagiarism.

Is there perhaps a teeny weeny bit of embellishment going on here?
No, but it would seem there's a teeny weeny bit of underhanded insulting going on by way of such a question. In these threads, when we dare share an experience, it would be in good taste not to belittle the individuals and their experience by uncouth commentary/questions.

Last edited:

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
In my case, I look at it this way:

-I knew about a story idea that they did not (there's no way I'm buying a "coincidental timing" argument).

-They obviously liked the idea but lied and said they did not.

-Not a month later, they assigned a staff reporter to write a story about the exact same idea.

They took something that was "mine," i.e. that they did not have until I provided it, and used it themselves. Not illegal, but unethical in my view. At least they could have said, "We like the idea but we don't use freelancers" or something a little more honest.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure ideas can't be stolen. I think it is in the context it is written.
On another forum a writer who could barely get past her first chapter was suddenly writing scenes that were too similar to mine. If something happened to a character of mine, hers suddenly had a likewise experience. When I had a battle scene, she suddenly had a battle scene where the same things happened. I can't go as far as saying it was plagiarism, but it was pretty darn close.
The forum's owner felt that was too much and banned her after that.
Hats off to that forum owner for taking up for you. I'd have been pissed, as I imagine you were! It's catch-22: we crave the opinions of others in regards to our work, yet to share can be terrifying because of the scummy people out there.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
One must also consider the context. I believe the OP was stating a non-fiction idea and in non-fiction, ideas have more worth.

If you pitch an article with a unique take on a popular subject to a magazine , it's easier for it to be stolen and monetized than say, an idea for a novel.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are mistaken. I expressed sympathy for your obviously unpleasant experience and merely interpreted what you said, as you said it.

No, but it would seem there's a teeny weeny bit of underhanded insulting going on by way of such a question. In these threads, when we dare share an experience, it would be in good taste not to belittle the individuals and their experience by uncouth commentary/questions.

AbruptlyLavender

Registered
Reaction score
My experience wasn't a "professional" theft, but just as frustrating.

A classmate of mine thinks he's the greatest writer to ever walk the planet. And we have to hear him talk about how he's the greatest writer to ever walk the planet at least twice a week. As you may have guessed, this kid actually possesses almost no discernible talent whatsoever (he makes Paolini look like Tolkien), but he did go to a summer writers workshop once, so he thinks that makes him a great author. (He also tried to get me to give him my regular section in our local newspaper)

Now, I have another friend who also likes to write. Not as often as me, but he still does it. He's got a few stories, and he likes to share them with us. He's got a very distinctive style. There's no mistaking it. Seriously. So, my friend shares this one story with my annoying classmate, and guess what? The next few stories we see from him are written in the EXACT same way as my friend's stories, except they suck. My friend took it really hard, because he saw his own style through this awful twisted lens.

This kid is also known for reading a book and then copying the basic plot and claiming it as his own. It's funny, because all you have to do is look at his stories and know what he was reading that week.

He needs help.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first critique group was online. We'd known one another for around three years, but we were smart enough to establish written rules, one of them being that you didn't distribute anybody's work but your own outside the group.

At first we just heard a rumor that stories something like some of ours were being shared via email at AOL, then someone posted an excerpt from one of my stories at AOL (where I was not a member), offering it for $5 through email.

The attorney I talked to did a little calling around and determined that she'd only made seven sales for a grand total income of $35. He said it wasn't worth pursuing in court and explained why, convincingly. (His fee alone made it ludicrous, and if I didn't win legal fees as part of any judgment, I'd have to pay him.)

We threw her out of the critique group and put her on ignore. Not much of a penalty for theft.

So yes, provable plagiarism happens, but it's not always pursued on discovery.

Maryn, older, very slightly wiser

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I have to thank you for sharing your experience. I know my thank you sounds a bit korny, having laughed with you much in the past, and so I like to think we're beyond having to pat one another every step of the way...but it's just nice to hear that it can happen in all kinds of setups/situations. I have yearned to belong to a critique group that could go beyond the usual 'oh, you need a comma here', and give true opinion/suggestions of what works, what isn't, because that's what I feel I would offer.

Fear holds me back. Trust is such a delicate thing. We extend this olive leaf, and hope like hell it isn't returned, a pile of smoking ash. I belonged to a Yahoo Groups critique group about 4 years ago. My one submission was slammed. Oh yeah, it hurt. And then I had to stand back and realize it was only slammed by one reader, the others being helpful and encouraging. Okay, so it wasn't for everyone. What the boob didn't realize is that I was a lurker on a few other critique groups, trying to find the one that was right for me. Low and fricken' behold if I didn't see my own submisssion....submitted as the 'slammer's' own on one of these other sites. I emailed the owner of that group. He rocked. I copy/pasted from the other Yahoo Group so he could see it had originally been my work, what her vicious commentary had been--which was basically to find a job that forbade me to ever write ANYTHING even if it were on a check. She was kicked off the site, and he posted a pretty heated warning to the other members.
But it was enough for me to go back to being gun shy.

Not to beef up AW, but this is the only site that I now have trust in to do something like this again because I've come to know so many here on a personal level--well, as personal as one can be via cyber.

You were lucky to catch her when you did. I like to think that those people never become anything more than their neighborhood desktop publisher for local car washes, or some such nonsense--never the BIG author.

Inky, who forever loves Maryn's closing captions about herself, and wishes she could come up with some of the hysterical commentary Maryn makes...

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
I once had an etiquette expert (author of 5 etiquette books) publish one third of my B & B guest etiquette booklet, almost word for word before I published it, in her newspaper column under her name... after I told her not to, in writing. But her assistant - bless her ethical heart - sent me the evidence. One day I'll post it on my web site and let others judge for themselves. She got paid by her editor for it; I had to change the booklet's format from anecdote to multiple choice.

I also had someone buy one of my other, printed booklets, reword it, turn it into an e-book and give away hundreds of free copies on her web site. She was a rich Texas rancher; I was starting all over after a major loss.

Perhaps envy gets the better of some not-so-creative people.

Third story: The editor at my hometown newspaper called me to warn me about sending article queries and proposals to his paper. He said his boss, the new publisher, was giving incoming article proposals and queries to staff writers. I was blown away by his integrity. And saw my column idea now appearing under the name of an editor at a former magazine who stiffed me on payment for an article she published that I wrote.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I never really much worried about having a story stolen. And if it did happen I figured the thief would've done the leg work for me in getting it published and all I'd have to do then would be to bring them to court, get my name printed on the pilfered publication, and collect all the loot. :) Exiting the courtroom I might even shake hands with the creep.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plagarism does happen. Ask Nora Roberts.

And...er...cassie edwards

nopiktursplz128494898554218750.jpg

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Really? Those two? With their name/fame/money, I would think they'd be exempt from such outrageousness....

Can you elaborate/link w/ details? Fascinating.

*goes off to Google*

With that said, do you think it's true that J.K.Rowling did the same? It was pretty obvious, when they were able to show the original author of Harry Potter, and the little books said author distributed to school children. I was in denial until I saw that. Made me look at Rowling with contempt.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
Well, I can see from this thread that one of the best decisions I ever made was to retain an intellectual property lawyer. He's awesome. I am sorry to hear everyone's stories of pain but by sharing you have helped so many others. Thanks!

lute

In 4th grade I wrote a short story called "Crow Eggs" and my 'best friend' at the time took my idea and created "Eagle Eggs." That's the only hijack of a story I've ever encountered, and it was so flagrant and ridiculous that I just brushed it off.

All jokes aside, anything in the real world would enrage me to no end. It's why I'm very cautious about where I post my story ideas and the like. It's a very possible situation, so I'm trying to be as discreet as possible, and very leery about who I allow read my stories or plots, etc. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but things like this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.