PDA

View Full Version : using a photo in a book

bookfreakguy
03-07-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't know if anybody can answer this or not, but worth a shot:

I'm writing a nonfiction book about a major US event. I've gotten permission from a newspaper to use 5 very good photos of that event. Four of the photos give credit to the paper's staff photographers under each photo. One of the photos does not have a credit under it. I would guess it was a staff photographer, but I don't know - nor does anyone at the paper today know. It's certainly not a photo someone submitted (it's professional), but it could be an AP photo. I think since it's in their paper, there's no credit, and they gave me permission to use it, I should be OK...but I don't know. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Sunnyside
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I would think if you simply credited it as "Photo courtesy of the Anytown Main Street Gazette, used with permission," you're probably covered. But your editor/publisher can probably tell you what their comfort level is with doing it that way.

aka eraser
03-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, you've done your due diligence. Explain it to your publisher as you have to us and if their fact checkers want to try to track it down more precisely, they will.

robertmblevins
03-10-2008, 04:03 AM
What file format are you planning to use to insert the photograph into the manuscript? And...is it in color or B/W?