• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Determining Audience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at submitting through an agency's online submission form, and one of the questions is "Who will want to read your book and why?"

I'm just not sure how this answer should be worded. It's adult literary fiction, and I think it would appeal mainly to women (but it's not chick-lit).

Is there any sort of right or wrong way to answer this?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You write what you like to read, right? It'd be safe to say that your audience is similar to you.

I write religious, post-nuke horror. I listed my audience as people who read Miller Jr. and Brin, women 20-30 questioning their childhood faith, and women 30-50 looking for something deeper. And people in the same age ranges who also like a good scare.

That's a little broad, but hoepfully it'll give you an idea for yours. Good luck!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I'm looking at submitting through an agency's online submission form, and one of the questions is "Who will want to read your book and why?"

I'm just not sure how this answer should be worded. It's adult literary fiction, and I think it would appeal mainly to women (but it's not chick-lit).

Is there any sort of right or wrong way to answer this?
I don't know that there are right and wrong answers but these are questions you need to ask yourself in any case so there's no time like the present! The biggest question is WHY would they want to read it? What makes your book unique or special?
Linnea

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to be specific in what you've written (just elaborate on what you said in your original post) and also to say, "Readers who like _____ will enjoy my book." Then the pub will have an idea as to the market you're after.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the help!
I feel a lot more comfortable now with wording my answer.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you think your book would appeal to book clubs (and literary fiction with an emphasis on female characters sounds perfect for that) for Heaven's sake SAY THAT! It's a huge selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.