SASE question

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
The guidelines for a magazine I'm planning to submit to say that "all submissions become their property," which I'm assuming means they won't be returned.

So: should I enclose an SASE, and if so, what size? (The guidelines are silent on the matter.) And should I mark the manuscript disposable, or would that be redundant?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
No need to mark the manuscript disposable. If you're sending a query, the SASE would be for their acceptance or rejection. If you're sending a manuscript, it sounds like they won't be returning that but you can send an SASE for their response. Be sure to say in your cover letter (if it's a manuscript submission) or your query (if you're sending just a query) that for their convenience, you've enclosed an SASE for their response.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I sent it with a small SASE. No cover letter, which is probably the height of idiocy, but I have a phobia of writing them.

At least I got the damn thing sent out.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Good for you for getting it out. I completely relate to the feeling of success that one step can inspire. Next time, you might take the next step and include a cover letter that briefly initiates the editor to what you've sent, who you are and why you're the person to write for them.

As Anne Lamott says, bird by bird.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update . . .

Well, all my worrying was for nothing. They accepted the story! This is my first sale, ever. :)

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
It's in this month's issue of Smoke Signals. You wouldn't believe how my family is ribbing me.

I might as well add that the focus of the story is such that I could read it to my seven-year-old brother -- the only passages I felt obliged to omit had to do with religion (he's a very sensitive boy). I am fond of this particular stripe of fetish fiction: the fun of writing erotica without the hassles of writing sex.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You can use a simple template for cover letters so you don't have to fret everytime you have to send something out. Just plug in the editor's name, the title of ms, and word count. Form letters are great!

Oh, and congrats!

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
gogoshire said:
Congrats!

Is this your first pub?

Yes, excluding a lot of things I'd certainly rather were excluded. (A poem in an e-zine, devastatingly misprinted; an article in a church newsletter when I was a teenager; one of those %(#$*@& poetry.com anthologies . . .) This is my first print appearance worth mentioning, and also my first paid publication.

:Sun: Thanks, everyone, for your kind wishes! This whole thing has been a real shot in the arm for me; I was almost ready to give up and go back to film school (if they'd take me; they probably wouldn't).