Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I just got a rejection from an agent because he didn't feel I had a strong enough platform, and I don't really understand why he said that. In my query, I just told a little bit about my story - that's it. And yet he talked about my platform - how would he know?

I do have a link in my signature on my email to our website, so I suppose he could have gone there. If he did, I would think that would be a fairly strong platform - our journal from our last journey got nearly 700,000 hits, and we have plenty of newspaper articles scanned in. Yes, we have a lot more that we don't have on there, and I've gotten some articles published recently that we don't have on there.

Anyway, how much do you have to have to have a "strong" platform?

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
There is no definitive answer to this question. Obviously, the strong the better. Why would someone pick your book up if it were on a table in a bookstore? It's very tough to break into this business because you have to break into public awareness.

One example of a stronger platform would be if you got NPR affiliates to interview you as you progressed cross country. Something like that would bring a lot more attention. In today's world you need a hook everyone will recognize.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I certainly do understand that, and we are planning to seek out publicity on our upcoming journey. It just seemed odd that he would comment on my not having a strong enough platform when he really didn't even know what I had!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
In my query, I just told a little bit about my story - that's it. And yet he talked about my platform - how would he know?

Perhaps your query should mention your platform and not be limited to your story. When my agent and I parted ways, I e-mail queried four agents. The query consisted of less than five lines. I mentioned the name of the book and my credentials. That's it. Three out of the four agents asked to represent me.

Though I am not suggesting that any writer do what I did, in fact, please don't, I only mentioned my experience because with nonfiction it's almost always about the platform.

Since you didn't mention a platform, the agent probably assumed you didn't have one. Or that if you do have one it isn't impressive enough. Otherwise, you would have mentioned it.

So revising your query may be the answer.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I do think your platform belongs in your query, FWIW. Just a brief paragraph with the highlights.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Let us know if it makes a difference.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I sent the other query out to 17 agents the other day - have had two requests for more, so maybe the other one wasn't bad either. But I do think it'll make it stronger if I add a bit about my platform. I think I'll wait a couple weeks until the false memoir thing blows over a little bit before sending out any more though.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
What's your memoir about? Traveling and your experiences?

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the new query!

Yes, it seems next to impossible to raise interest in a non-fiction book nowadays without platform. Which is unfortunate..but marketing is everything now.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
It's a story about our bike trip around the USA and Mexico last year.

I'm really torn on what to do with it - on the one hand, I think I should work aggressively to get it out soon while it is still current. On the other hand, if I do that we will be on the road on our next trip when it comes out and I won't be able to publicize it much since we'll be traveling. We do expect quite a bit of traffic to our website and can publicize it there, plus we would be able to do radio interviews and stuff like that - but we wouldn't be able to go to book stores for signings or anything.

I can't help but think our upcoming journey will generate a fair amount of interest, so having this book out while we are on the road would be good. I dunno....

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
As long as you can do some press (radio interviews and print press), it may not be a problem. And who knows, you may be able to do TV as well. A crew can join you in a city that you are in.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
One of the two agents who asked for a partial turned me downed because:
1) how would I edit while on the road?
2) how would I publicize the book while on the road?
3) the whole false memoir thing out now - she feels publishers will be leery of memoirs for a while.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I do have a link in my signature on my email to our website, so I suppose he could have gone there. /quote]

Maybe this confirms the adage that you should never expect an agent to look up facts about you; everything necessary to make a strong pitch should be right there, spelled out.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about how you will edit on the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.