PDA

View Full Version : Movies that made the guys on this board cry?

Saint Fool
03-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Short story needs a movie that makes men cry. It can be present day, it can be a classic.

I'm thinking that I've witnessed nose blowing, extreme nose bridge rubbing and out and out face wiping from a noticeable # guys in the theatre at the end of ET, Old Yeller, and Forest Gump. I'm thinking there are a couple of newer ones that were also guy weepers but their titles escape me now.

Any movies that made you (or if you are female, your husband/boyfriend/SO) puddle up at the end?

Thanks!

DWSTXS
03-06-2008, 02:57 AM
French Kiss

TerzaRima
03-06-2008, 03:17 AM
My husband gets misty during Field of Dreams and Seabiscuit.

dpaterso
03-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Donovan's Reef.

-Derek

ChunkyC
03-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Saving Private Ryan - the scene at the end when young Ryan morphs to old Ryan and asks his wife if he's been a good man.

Then again, I cry when my credit card company tells me I don't have to make a minimum payment just before Christmas. ;)

Adam Israel
03-06-2008, 04:19 AM
My Dog Skip
I Am Legend (when the dog dies)
I'm noticing a trend here...

KTC
03-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Life is Beautiful with Roberto Benigni. Several times throughout.

maxmordon
03-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Life is Beautiful
About Schmidt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-zEwGZ56Bs)
The Man Who Wasn't There (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLXW9qpLVic)
Ikiru (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWq9SJQRrTo)

jst5150
03-06-2008, 04:50 AM
As Good As It Gets

otterman
03-06-2008, 04:52 AM
It's a Wonderul Life (it gets me every Christmas)
The Iron Giant (really, I'm serious)
Life Is Beautiful

underthecity
03-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Although I don't physically cry at the end of It's a Wonderful Life, I do feel a large swell of emotion during the line "To my big brother George, the wealthiest man in town."

But, in order to feel that emotion, I have to watch the whole movie.

And I have cried at the end of MASH Goodbye. Yes I have.

allen

maestrowork
03-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Field of Dreams
Friday Night Lights
Cinema Paradiso
Resurrecting the Champ
It's a Wonderful Life

John Paton
03-06-2008, 05:43 AM
born free - just the music is enough
the queen - the diana parts are so moving
dr zhivago - I hope every time I see it the Doc lives, but he doesn't
life is beautiful - when he dies that is so sad
the pianist - haunting

Gravity
03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Field of Dreams "Hey...Dad? Wanna have a catch...?" God almighty, somebody get me a Kleenex

Band of Brothers "I'm not a hero...but I served in a company of heroes." Man.

It's a Wonderful Life

The Sand Pebbles Steve McQueen, gutshot and dying: "What the hell happened...?"

All Mine to Give

The War Game "growing...in silence..." (not to be confused with the 80s WarGames)

MonaLeigh
03-06-2008, 06:04 AM
My husband said he's never cried at a movie. I think he's dead inside.

HourglassMemory
03-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I've cried with "Lord of the Rings".
That was the first time I ever cried, like, sniffing and you feel your cheeks and your eyes sore in the end.
I now tend to get really into the stories.

Another one was "Bridge to Terabithia". I wasn't expecting it at all...and I just crumbled.

And "A Beautiful Mind" as well, I think...

And "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks

I guess I have to watch "Life is Beautiful" again, now that I've allowed myself to be affected with films.

DWSTXS
03-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Seabiscuit

The Great Escape

Craig Gosse
03-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Always, with Richard Dreyfuss & Holly Hunter; and Stand By Me, which also has Richard Dreyfuss.

(Oddly enough, I'm otherwise not a fan of his - those are the only two movies with him in it that I like...)

maestrowork
03-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Speaking of Richard Dreyfuss: Mr. Holland's Opus.

bluntforcetrauma
03-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Field Of Dreams
Cool Runnings

Sage
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
My dad cries for Rudy and for White Christmas.

They just did a study on the top movies that make guys cry. I think Brian's Song was on the top. Rudy was high up there. A lot of sports movies on there, actually.

JamieFord
03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Field of Dreams
Smoke Signals
Schindler's List
Joy Luck Club
It's a Wonderful Life
The Passion Of The Christ
Grave of the Fireflies

**sniff sniff**

Saint Fool
03-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks! I'm going to have to revisit Life Is Beautiful - but I am drawn to the idea of my male characters getting all weepy at a sports movie (Field of Dreams/Seabiscuit - both of which I bawled like a baby at.) Thanks again!

JoNightshade
03-06-2008, 08:38 AM
The only movie I've ever seen make my husband cry is the recent remake of King Kong. When Kong dies.

kellytijer
03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
My husband's crying movie is Rudy. I laugh at him when he does.

Bmwhtly
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
V for Vendetta.

seun
03-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Love Actually made me weep.

With rage.

lucky8
03-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Big Fish. I teared up a lot during that one.

gerrydodge
03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Tender Mercies

escritora
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
My picks are books that were turned into movies

Forest Gump
Of Mice and Men

ETA: Oops, I'm not a guy.

Vandal
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Heart and Souls with Robert Downey, Jr.

Haggis
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Psycho.

Shadow_Ferret
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Not one of the movies listed has ever made me cry or even sad, except for It's a Wonderful Life.

The only movies that make me cry are animal movies, like Lassie Come Home or Homeward Bound.

Saving Private Ryan - the scene at the end when young Ryan morphs to old Ryan and asks his wife if he's been a good man.

That didn't make me cry, that made me angry because throughout the whole movie I thought the old man was Tom Hanks. I felt used and manipulated at the end.

maxmordon
03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Big Fish. I teared up a lot during that one.

Oh, yes I cried with that too, forgot about that one

GreenFriend
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
The Chipmunks Movie (The old cartoon one). Damn that baby penguin!

NikeeGoddess
04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
i can't believe none of you mentioned Million Dollar Baby - making men (and eastwood) cry is the reason this picture won it's Oscars

Caveman
04-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Titanic.
Forest Gump.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Where the Red Fern Grows for my dad... for Ol' Boy... 'The Notebook'. I believe he saw us some day in the future when she had Alzheimer's and he had heart trouble.

I can't ever let him see 'Away from Her'.

JacobWorld
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I have to say Top Gun LOL

MichaelDeVere
04-14-2008, 04:30 AM
I've never once cried over a movie. Seriously.

When I was in the fifth grade, E.T. made it's big splash onto the screen. My best friend and I went to see it, and when the scene came where E.T. dies, I heard the little kid sitting behind me bawling in his mommy's lap.

"E.T. please don't die!! E.T.!!!"

Ugh.

So I ribbed my friend with my elbow and leaned over to whisper, "dude, you hear that dork behind us bawling over this movie?"

My friend turned towards me, and I was STUNNED to see tears streaming down his otherwize grizzled, emotionless, pre-pubescent punk cheeks.

"So am I..."

Oh man. Turn in your man card bub.

Rolling Thunder
04-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Real men aren't afraid of anything; even crying.

Well...okay...except for spiders. *shivers*

Haggis
04-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Real men aren't afraid of anything; even crying.

Well...okay...except for spiders. *shivers*

*takes notes*

Ken
04-14-2008, 03:20 PM
that chaplin movie with the blind flower girl, says someone I know.

David Erlewine
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
MD, you should be posting on Sherdog yo, not AW. You are far too manly for this here site! We are in awe! Are man cards laminated?

MichaelDeVere
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
MD, you should be posting on Sherdog yo, not AW. You are far too manly for this here site! We are in awe! Are man cards laminated?

Hey, I was a punk kid. Life is hard you know. Sometimes you gotta be hard to get through.

As an adult, I don't have a movie crying aversion. I've just never done it.

When you live a life full of real tragedy, I just can't see being emotionally twisted by some pretend thing on the screen designed to invoke a response in the widest sampled test audience.

Mac H.
04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Why would you waste time watching a movie at all then?

If you aren't going to be emotionally connected with it, you might as well do something else with your time.

Mac

James81
04-14-2008, 08:10 PM
The Fox and the Hound

Jcomp
04-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Haven't cried at a movie since the first Transformers flick when I was a kid: when Optimus Prime died.

Movies don't make me cry (at least I've yet to encounter one as an adult), but I did feel melancholy during one unexpected scene in The Life Aquatic, and at Benny's farewell party in City of God.

BenPanced
04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
All Of Me with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin. I have a thing for stories where a ghost achieves their final rest and can pass on to the other side happy.

Moonstruck, particularly the scene where all of the characters look out their bedroom windows and see the full moon.

Dark Star. Shut up. Without giving away too much, but just in case, let's give it up for SPOILER WHITE!, just about everybody dies happy.

And there've been a couple times where I've cried at the end of The Wizard of Oz.

The kitty sequence in Allegro Non Tropo makes me cry every time.

And, believe it or not, I broke down after the last episode of the anime series The Big O. Not just a few tears and waving my hanky around, "oh, what a lovely little story". I'm talking about sobbing so hard I can't speak for about ten minutes.

Jenan Mac
04-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Mr. Mac misted up at the end of Mary Poppins, but I wasn't supposed to notice. OTOH, he mocks James Stewart unmercifully every Christmas, when I insist he watch It's a Wonderful Life with me.

mikeland
04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Babe.

Yup. The talking pig movie.

When Babe herds the sheep and Mr. Hoggit looks down at him and says "That'll do, pig. That'll do" -- I tear up every time.

Mr Flibble
04-16-2008, 12:36 AM
The Old Man gets choked everytime Spock dies.

"That'll do, pig. That'll do" -- I tear up every time.
When I was pregnant, when Babe said 'can I call you Mum?' -- floods of tears. But then when I was pregnant, Bagpuss made me cry.

Constantine K
04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Armadeggon - When Ben Affleck tells Bruce Willis that he loves him as they trade places on the asteroid. Gets me every time.

Terminator 2 - When Arnold gets lowered into the pit and John's love for him really shows. The thumbs up . . . gosh, I'm teary already.

I Am Legend - I didn't cry because I was with my friends, but I definitely felt tears welling when Will Smith has to strangle the dog. So sad.

triceretops
04-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Meet Joe Black came close.

But A.I. and especially Bicentenial Man brought on the gushers. Go figure, I'm a sucker for androids/robots who can't quite reach the humanity level.

Tri

choppersmom
04-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Pat cried when the spider died in the remake of "Charlotte's Web." This has been a source of endless amusement for me ever since. There he was in the theater, trying to covertly wipe his eyes until he noticed me staring at him with a look of unadulterated glee on my face.

Tiger
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Ugetsu is the only thing that comes to mind that makes me misty. The scene in which Genjuro's wife's ghost (waiting patiently at home) makes dinner for him and laments the fact that she is dead.

1BadApple
04-16-2008, 08:16 PM
my boyfriend tears up every time for the Titanic when Jack and Rose are in the water. From the first "Jack" wail, he is in tears. It gets him every time.

He also cried for the dogs in Where the Red Fern Grows and when Will Smith had to kill Sam in I am Legend. And for the movie My Girl when McCauley's characters die from the bee stings.

He is so sensitive

FTL
04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Life is Beautiful with Roberto Benigni. Several times throughout.

I'm watchin this in film class. My teacher said that guy is like the Robin Williams of Italy or something?

First time I can remember getting teary-eyed was near the end of John Woo's The Killer.

maestrowork
04-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Meet Joe Black came close.

But A.I. and especially Bicentenial Man brought on the gushers.

The scene where Sam Neil was watching the hologram of him and his daughter dancing at the wedding... that got me every single time. Then when the daughter died and Robin Williams was there, grief-stricken.

CDarklock
04-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Cars.

Yeah, yeah, bite me.

That part toward the end when Lightning has that moment with the King (no spoiler!), it just hits me like a sledgehammer.

But as a man, I'm good at concealing my emotional responses. I don't have tears rolling down my face, but one day, someone will notice that I always head to the kitchen or bathroom right in the middle of that part.

Constantine K
04-21-2008, 12:49 AM
I have to say Top Gun LOL

Every time I watch that movie I swear Goose is going to be okay. I just know his is.

He still dies every time.

Mjollnir13
04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll really tear up, but hardly actually cry...I just don't make it over the hump.

I teared up during Return of the King. The part where the Hobbits all kneel down and Aragorn told them they didn't need to kneel then everyone else kneeled to them...great scene!

Life is Beautiful also had me teared. Braveheart too.

StephanieFox
04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
My husband tears up at a lot of movies. I can see his eyes tear up and hear him sniffing. He probably does this a couple of times a month. I would never let him know that I notice, though. He's a very sweet and sensitive guy, but he teaches martial arts, so I guess he can afford to be.

I hardly ever do get tearful, but if a dog dies, I won't ever what that movie again. (I'm part of that trend, I guess.)

robertmblevins
04-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Not too much, I suppose. But I was caught short in one of the final scenes from the film 'Walk The Line' when June Carter (Reese Witherspoon) finally says 'yes' to the fourth marriage proposal by Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix).

Ha ha...and I'm not even a fan of country music.

maxmordon
04-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Just saw In The Name Of The Father today... made me cry

WriteKnight
04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Two films get me EVERY time I watch them.

"Field of Dreams" - yeah, the classic line "Hey dad... wanna have a catch?"

And one of my favorite Sean Connery films "Robin and Marion"

Oddly enough, there are two points in that film when I tear up. There's a point where the middle-aged Marion (A FANTASTIC looking Audrey Hepburn) is begging a middle-aged Little John (Nichol Williamsom) to talk the middle-aged Robin Hood (Sean Connery) out of facing the middle-aged Sherrif of Nottingham - (Robert Shaw).

Little John refuses to talk Robin out of it -and Marion is pissed. She finally says.

"You've had him for so long, and I've only just got him back."

He looks at her.

"Go on..." she says, "SAY IT!"

He looks away, then back at her and delivers the killer line of all 'best friends' lines.

"If you'd of been mine... I'd of never left you..."

And then, the final scene where Marion has poisoned Robin, and she's laying in his arms, and he realizes he never would have recovered anyway She tells him... "I love you more than GOD..."

God...

Man, I've got chills right now.

childeroland
04-24-2008, 07:26 AM
The King Kong remake. Kong does not deserve his lonely life nor what happens to him, and yet a life with Ann Darrow was impossible.

A.I. though I can't help feeling there is a bit of happiness when the aliens give David that one day of happiness. Also, I loved the teddy bear.

Exotica. The pain of all the characters connected by the tragedy and how it has played out in their lives.

The Sweet Hereafter. Ian Holm hopelessly tries to save his daughter while the townspeople live on after the school bus accident that takes their children.

Pan's Labyrinth. Since Del Toro left interpretation of the end open, I refuse to believe Ofelia does not take her place as princess of the underworld and live happily ever after.

maestrowork
04-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Crossroad. Not that I've seen it. But I bet Britney Spears would make me cry.

maestrowork
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
OK, I guess I did get misty eyes while watching Castaway. There were some really good scenes. Wilson was probably one of the best inanimate characters in movies. And when Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt met again after he disappeared for four years... sigh. I knew that feeling, even if I were never in his situation. It was so sad.

KrishnaJewel
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Titanic,
The Notebook,
Thelma and Louise
Mohabbatein (Hindi)

To name a few that I can think of at the moment

brainstrains
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
My husband teared up during only 2 movies, Dead Poet's Society and October Sky.

And I've seen the Iron Giant a zillion times and I still tear up over that one!!

Jcomp
04-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Oh my God. Can I add a TV show? Because I just started catching up on The Wire, borrowed Season 1 from a friend... and hell... not to spoil anything, but a certain character gets shot and it broke my heart. I didn't quite shed tears but I held so many back it felt like my brain was swimming in them. Jeez... Why? Y'all were supposed to be boys! I felt like I got kicked in the stomach.

dgiharris
04-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Oh my God. Can I add a TV show? Because I just started catching up on The Wire, borrowed Season 1 from a friend... and hell... not to spoil anything, but a certain character gets shot and it broke my heart. I didn't quite shed tears but I held so many back it felt like my brain was swimming in them. Jeez... Why? Y'all were supposed to be boys! I felt like I got kicked in the stomach.

This series had a lot of moments when I watch it and didn't know how close I was to tears.

***Spoiler Alert... if you haven't watched The Wire, skip to below the *** break !!!"**

The part that got me was in Season 4, when the little boy snitched on his friends and then they set his house on fire and put his foster mom in the ICU. When he was sitting in the ICU and the detective was there trying to make him feel better (since this was all the detective's fault anyway) and then the detective is walking down the hall, and the kid is yelling after him, "Really, you mean it??? You're gonna take care of me... Everything's gonna be alright, Really, you mean it..."

Damn, that scene almost got me.

************************************************** ********************************

But back to Movies.

Any good War Movie almost brings a tear to my eyes (almost since i've never cried once in my entire life!!!)

Hamburger Hill, Platoon, We were Soldier's Once, The Last Samurai, Braveheart all good manly movies.

Mel...

RR777
04-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Well I did choke up when Spock died but I couldn't actually cry as I was on a date with my then girlfriend (now wife) and that would be just embarassing! There is only one movie that has actually made me cry and that is The Green Mile. Great movie!

slcboston
04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I Am Legend - I didn't cry because I was with my friends, but I definitely felt tears welling when Will Smith has to strangle the dog. So sad.

DAMN YOU.

Ok, look, anyone who hasn't yet seen Armageddon or T-2 is likely not going to at this point.

But IAL is still new enough that there are people out there - like me - who haven't seen it yet but want to.

So, thank you for not providing at the very least a spoiler warning and ruining part of the movie for me. Really, I appreciate knowing these things in advance.

:rant:

slcboston
04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
***Spoiler Alert... if you haven't watched The Wire, skip to below the *** break !!!"**

Dear Constantine:

This is how you tell people who HAVEN'T seen it yet that you're about to divulge something important.

(May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.) :Soapbox:

POPASMOKE
05-01-2008, 02:33 AM
The Patriot with Mel Gibson
Saving Private Ryan with Tom Hanks

louisgodwin
05-03-2008, 10:06 AM
The endings of Braveheart, Glory and Deep Impact.

daverockz
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Life is Beautiful. and yes.. The Notebook.

Gravity
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
A coupla others

Deep Impact The scene with Robert Duvall: "I'm comin' home...!"

The Gospel According to Saint Matthew Pasolini's 1964 masterpiece.

Old Yeller C'mon guys...fess up...you know you cried.

Mr. Destiny The final look Michael Caine gives Jim Belushi.

slcboston
05-07-2008, 12:24 AM
The Patriot with Mel Gibson

Only because it was SO badly executed, and such a horrid, horrid mashing of history. Granted, "Braveheart" wasn't historically accurate either, but "The Patriot" made it look like an encyclopedia Britannica entry by comparison.

I still haven't got those two hours of my life back. :)

Mr Flibble
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Granted, "Braveheart" wasn't historically accurate either,

Oh that always makes me laugh. OK, so all the kings of England after that were descended from William Wallace. Yeah right. *rolls eyes* Quite apart from the fact that Edward II didn't even marry her till three years after Wallace was dead....and after old Longshanks was dead too. She was twelve when she got married.

William Wallace led a rebellion against English occupation, won at Stirling Bridge and lost at Falkirk. After his capture, he was tried and executed as per the method in the film. That's about all that matches history.

I didn't watch the Patriot because I heard he mashed it even worse. It got a lot of bad press over here, I remember that.

slcboston
05-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I didn't watch the Patriot because I heard he mashed it even worse. It got a lot of bad press over here, I remember that.

Oh yes, far worse. Even worse than omitting the bridge from the battle at Stirling Bridge. :D

Silverhand
05-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Remember the Titans gets me every single time.