PDA

View Full Version : Books & Such Literary Agency

EDITORINCHIEF0103
04-10-2004, 02:30 PM
janetgrant.com/About_Books.html (http://janetgrant.com/About_Books.html)

This agent appears to have contacts in publishing houses that I view as suitable for my books. Anyone had any experience w this one?

sfsassenach
04-10-2004, 08:47 PM
that her site has been updated since 5/02! That speaks to how on top of things this agency is, IMO.

James D Macdonald
04-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know about that ... webpages are at the bottom of the priority list at legitimate agencies.

Betty W01
04-10-2004, 09:17 PM
First of all, I agree with several other post-ers that it's too bad this board doesn't present itself more as a "let's check up on so-and-so" rather than a "here's another scammer", when an innocent person may be mentioned in the subject line, thus damaging their reputation.

Second, I have nothing to do with Janet Grant, never met her, and she's not my agent (although I'll gladly sign on with her, when I get to that point, if she were to ask...), so this is not a puff piece.

Having said all that -

The thing to notice is that Grant has clients whose books have been sold. I have sitting on my shelf four books by Sandra Byrd that just came out in her Hidden Diary series for kids, represented by Grant, and they're good books, by a major house.

And her site must have been updated at least some since 5/02, because she mentions an associate who joined her in 2003, and the books by Byrd that she mentions came out in 2003, as well.

To me, it looks as though she is in the process of updating the site even now, and I don't know much about how you can tell when a site has been updated, but I don't *think* the date changes itself. Maybe her webmaster hasn't gotten to that detail yet!

So, don't let the old date put you off. Ask her for some clients' testimonials or contact some of them yourself... here are just a few of the authors she represents...

Robin Jones Gunn
www.robingunn.com/bio.html (http://www.robingunn.com/bio.html)

James Watkins
www.gospelcom.net/watkins/pressroom.htm (http://www.gospelcom.net/watkins/pressroom.htm)

Gayle Roper
www.gayleroper.com/ (http://www.gayleroper.com/)

Stephanie Grace Whitson
www.stephaniewhitson.com/about.htm (http://www.stephaniewhitson.com/about.htm)

Lynn A. Coleman
www.lynncoleman.com/ (http://www.lynncoleman.com/)

EDITORINCHIEF0103
04-11-2004, 01:13 AM
My intenion was not to damage her reputaion...I apologize, but given the content of other posts I figured this was okay.

But thanks for the info. It is very reasssuring to know she is "real" and productive. I think now I will say a prayer and send in my work.She seems like the only agent I have found who seems to have the connections to the publishing houses I see my book with. Thank You again Betty :) .

Betty W01
04-11-2004, 01:20 AM
you're welcome - and I'm sure you weren't trying to ruin anything, it's just a concern that this board's very set-up can cause from time to time. Jenna has had suggestions made to her in the past about changing it to something a bit more questioning in tone and introduction and a bit less accusing, so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, good luck with your book!

:clover

Janet Kobobel Grant
04-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Just to offer a few insights into my web site, janetgrant.com...It certainly has been updated since May 2002, but apparently my webmaster has failed to change that date.

I make changes about every other month, but the site isn't my highest priority. Like most agents, I'm busy placing projects, negotiating contracts, and troubleshooting for authors I represent. This past month I placed more than 30 projects; so I'd say I would fit in the "active" category.

I hope that helps to bring a bit of perspective to how seriously take the date of the last change on a web site.

Stephenie Hovland
04-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Thank you for weighing in Ms. Grant. It is nice to hear directly from the source. :thumbs

Stephenie

EDITORINCHIEF0103
04-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Well that is wonderful news:snoopy ! Thank You Janet Grant for sharing this bit of info with us.

rtilryarms
04-14-2004, 05:02 AM
sfsassenach,

You may not know it but the update note is posted by the page designer. That is the last time anything has been edited in the HTML.

Editing is done constantly, adding news etc. What the webmaster means by updating is changes in the body or new downloads.

The owner, Janet in this case, would not know how to change the update code normally.

So that was bad information

rt

Betty W01
04-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Since the above post, I've heard from three of her clients whom I personally know and can vouch for. They are VERY happy with her, and I've read a number of the books she's sold for them (without knowing it until now) and can say without equivocation that she's done an excellent job for them. In fact, I'd be very happy to have her as my own agent. (From my mouth to God's ear...)

ramis
03-28-2005, 04:26 AM
I have had Janet Grant's name beside my computer since last spring. She is someone with whom I hope to work someday. Thank you Janet for taking the time to respond. God bless you!

CaoPaux
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Adding live link: http://janetgrant.com/

jamiehall
03-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know if Rachel Zurakowski (http://www.janetgrant.com/html/meetrachel.html), a new agent at the agency, has had any sales yet? I can't find any information whatsoever on clients or sales for her.

xiaotien
03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
14 day personal ejection from rachel z
saying she's recently taken on quite a few
clients.

thequotegal
03-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi there! Just received a response from my query to Rachel for first 3 chapters, synopsis and bio. However, upon visiting their site, I notice many books with religious themes....mine is not. Did I miss something about this agency???

IceCreamEmpress
03-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Hi there! Just received a response from my query to Rachel for first 3 chapters, synopsis and bio. However, upon visiting their site, I notice many books with religious themes....mine is not. Did I miss something about this agency???

From the "About Books & Such" page:

Janet Kobobel Grant established Books & Such Literary Agency in 1996 after working in the book publishing industry for more than twenty years. She had her own imprint at Zondervan Publishing and served as managing editor of books at Focus on the Family.

That may be what you missed: Zondervan is a large Christian publisher, and Focus on the Family is an evangelical Christian lobbying group.

thequotegal
03-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Yes, I most definitely did miss that part. Thanks! Do you think I should still send to Rachel? Do they work with other publishers?

xiaotien
03-25-2008, 04:58 AM
quotegal, i don't see why you shouldn't
send it, esp if she asked for it! good luck!

IceCreamEmpress
03-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Yes, I most definitely did miss that part. Thanks! Do you think I should still send to Rachel? Do they work with other publishers?

Well, when I go to their "Author News" page (http://www.janetgrant.com/html/authornews.html), all the news is about Christian publishing groups' awards; it does seem like that's their specialty.

Soccer Mom
03-25-2008, 05:32 AM
They do a lot of Christian and Christian/Inspirational Romance

IceCreamEmpress
03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Oy Vey...my protag is Jewish, and I didn't think to mention that in the query! Hmmmmmmmm!

Well, you never know. I'm sure they have contacts at mainstream publishers as well, but it does seem like they specialize in the Christian markets.

If they offer to represent you, I think you might be wise to get specifics about their submission plans before signing on with them.

xiaotien
03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Oy Vey...my protag is Jewish, and I didn't think to mention that in the query! Hmmmmmmmm!

it doesn't hurt to try. you have nothing
to lose except a no. and possible i want to
see more. right? =)

nash
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
It's been quiet on this thread. <echo, echo...>

I sent a query 9/25. Anyone else out there waiting?

sharla
11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Sent a query to Wendy Lawton today, and received an automated message telling me that they only respond if they want more so if I haven't heard in 30 days, they've decided to pass.

That's okay, at least that's something other than crickets chirping!! LOL

nash
11-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Sent a query to Wendy Lawton today, and received an automated message telling me that they only respond if they want more so if I haven't heard in 30 days, they've decided to pass.

Oooooh, right, 30 days. I guess that's a no for me. Bummer.

Best wishes on your search!

sarahfru
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was an automated form-letter rejection!

ether
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Queried Rachel on 9/4, so I have a little bit of a wait before closing it out.

Jamiekswriter
03-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Any new information about Rachel Kent and Books and Such? Because I have such awesome notes, I have her down as someone to query . . . but I'm querying an adult vampire novel and she looks like she's a YA-ish agent and the agency looks like it's slanted towards romance and christian books. Anyone know if there was an urban fantasy buzz about her/them? Thanks :D - Jamie

Gravity
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
The thirty day mark came and went for my submission, so I'm taking that as a "no thanks."

Calla Lily
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Sorry, John. *hugs*

Gravity
03-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Eh, maybe somebody will like it. I hope.

CAWriter
04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Any new information about Rachel Kent and Books and Such? Because I have such awesome notes, I have her down as someone to query . . . but I'm querying an adult vampire novel and she looks like she's a YA-ish agent and the agency looks like it's slanted towards romance and christian books. Anyone know if there was an urban fantasy buzz about her/them? Thanks :D - Jamie

The agency is definitely slanted toward Christian books. Rachel isn't strictly YA, but she does represent writers with a youthful voice (if that makes sense). She might be open to urban fantasy, but it would probably need to have a fairly conservative and/or Christian tone.

Deb Kinnard
04-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Books and Such is very well respected in the Christian fic market. If Ms. Kent has joined the agency, and likes to get queried for YA fiction, I'd be willing to bet she isn't limited to that genre alone. Reason: there's a scarcity of large Christian houses that publish in the YA market. So I'd feel it's at least a 70% safe bet to query Ms. Kent on anything in this spectrum that you'd like to pitch to her.

K. Victoria Chase
02-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Sent a proposal to Ms. Kent on 2/5 after meeting her in last year's ACFW Conference. Will keep you posted on response time.

K. Victoria Chase
07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Well, Ms. Kent just responded (almost 6 months later) to my three chapters. She passed, but I had already sold the book back in May!!! I thought meeting agents at conferences would mean a faster response time, but I was wrong. Happy I sold it! :-)

"I really like your story, but I don't think it's the perfect fit for my representation at this time." --Your standard form response.

JohannaC
06-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Queried on 5/31/14 - no response yet.

CaoPaux
03-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Updating URL: http://www.booksandsuch.com/

MAS
05-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Per Publisher's Lunch, writer Cynthia Ruchti will join Books & Such Literary Management as an agent.

Deb Kinnard
05-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Cindy Ruchti is a very fine writer, has a great sense of humor, is romance-friendly, and...

Wonder if the writing thing didn't work out for her? The Christian market is tightening down, not that it wasn't tighter than a Scottish great-uncle already. Maybe the publishers are accepting one out of ten thousand books nowadays instead of one out of a thousand.

Krista G.
05-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Cindy Ruchti is a very fine writer, has a great sense of humor, is romance-friendly, and...

Wonder if the writing thing didn't work out for her? The Christian market is tightening down, not that it wasn't tighter than a Scottish great-uncle already. Maybe the publishers are accepting one out of ten thousand books nowadays instead of one out of a thousand.

There are quite a few authors who double as agents. I don't think this has to mean that she's given up her writing.

Deb Kinnard
05-25-2017, 04:04 AM
No, probably not. I'm merely speculating. The C-fic market is insanely tight, with some major names now going direct-to-reader. One could wonder all kinds of things, and know nothing at all except what I read online.

My first agent was/is a writer who went into agenting and gave it up about two years later, after gaining publication contracts only for her own work and maybe 2-3 others. She never sold word one of mine after two years of the association. My second agent, who also sold nothing at all for me after three years, also writes in this same market. Seems kind of a conflict of interest -- if she hears of a need of XYZ Publishing, and they want a novel similar to books we both have written, whose work do you think she might pitch? Human nature alone dictates the answer.

Krista G.
05-25-2017, 06:51 PM
No, probably not. I'm merely speculating. The C-fic market is insanely tight, with some major names now going direct-to-reader. One could wonder all kinds of things, and know nothing at all except what I read online.

My first agent was/is a writer who went into agenting and gave it up about two years later, after gaining publication contracts only for her own work and maybe 2-3 others. She never sold word one of mine after two years of the association. My second agent, who also sold nothing at all for me after three years, also writes in this same market. Seems kind of a conflict of interest -- if she hears of a need of XYZ Publishing, and they want a novel similar to books we both have written, whose work do you think she might pitch? Human nature alone dictates the answer.

Fair points.