Period Names Used in Ireland (17th-18th Centuries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have a list of these, but I don't how many are usable by both Catholics and Protestants. Historical websites are deficient in female names, and genealogical sites may be skewed towards Protestants (it wasn't wise for a priest to leave a paper trail during this period).

Any advice on how I could find out which names were be used by both? The prefered time period would be 1680-1730, but I might be able to justify names from earlier in the 17th Century or later in the 18th. Thanks!

P.S. No Irish baby names sites, please. I posted here specifically to avoid such suggestions.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
As a general rule Catholics would name a boy: William (because of William of Orange)

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
As a general rule Catholics would name a boy: William (because of William of Orange)

Um, I'm pretty sure you meant that as a general rule Catholics wouldn't name a boy William after the Protestant William of Orange.

Generally Catholic names are likely to be the saints names: Patrick, Michael, Mary, Catherine etc. Though usually with the Gaelic spellings and pronunciations.

Protestant names in Ireland at that time weren't much different from English names of the same era - some Germanic names (George, Frederick), some Anglo-Saxon and Norman names (Henry, Richard, Edward, William, James) and so on.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Generally Catholic names are likely to be the saints names: Patrick, Michael, Mary, Catherine etc. Though usually with the Gaelic spellings and pronunciations.

Protestant names in Ireland at that time weren't much different from English names of the same era - some Germanic names (George, Frederick), some Anglo-Saxon and Norman names (Henry, Richard, Edward, William, James) and so on.
:Shrug:If only it were that easy. Every one of these names are saints names. Some Old Testament names (like Moses and Rebecca) are saints names, too. Even Oliver's a saints name, and boy, does it have some heavy political baggage for the Irish!

Status
Not open for further replies.