Sell Another Book Before the First Comes Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKL1025

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently under a two-book contract with my publisher. I'm working with my editor on the first and I've almost finished my revisions to the second.

I've started to outline a third book, in a totally different genre (YA), and I should have it finished and ready to send to my agent by the end of the year, before my first book comes out.

So...my question is this: Has anyone sold a book before your first came out? Or, is it better to wait until it comes out?

Just curious as to others' experiences.

Thanks!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
If you wait until the first book comes out, you'll have a sales record to deal with -- that can work to your advantage or your disadvantage, depending. That is the only meaningful difference, I think, and what it means varies from person to person.

I say, if you're ready and you feel good about your project, give it a go. Maybe discuss with your agent, too -- if he or she doesn't know about the big switch to YA, this is a good time to talk about it. Your agent is unlikely to tell you to hang on to saleable projects (particularly in another genre, where your sales record is less of a factor), but he or she might argue that there's something else you could do that would better enhance your career at this stage. (No idea what -- this is why I am not an agent.)

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
Your genre shift will actually help you here, or at least hurt you less; as an editor, when I'm thinking of resigning an author, it's always helpful to have existing sales figures (thus I'd rather wait until books have not only hit the shelves, but spent at least 6 months there). But if you're switching from adult to YA, your publication history would be less relevant, so it can be easier to make the case for snapping you up early.

Status
Not open for further replies.