If publisher calls back first...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
From a Newbie, first time to the AW Roundtable:

I have a publisher reading one of my full, (requested) ms. I did a lot of back ground work to find this particular press. They have had the ms. for over seven months now and it is in the final review stages. They are a med. sized press and publish best selling titles in a particular genre.

I have a literary agent who requested to see the full ms. of another of my books, and of course told him many months ago about the interested publisher for the other ms. He chose to focus on another ms. of mine, and has yet to offer me a contract or even respond after many months. One month ago, he said he'd get back to me in a few days. He did not.

What would I do if the publisher calls back first, before the agent finds time to get back to me? One friend suggested I let the procrastinating agent know about the pub. offer but that I might call back some other agents who had previously, although turning down my work, responded in a timely manner in a gracious way.
Grateful for any advice,
Writer Friend

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
If the pub calls you back first with an offer, you take down all the relevent information, especially what they're offering.

You do NOT commit to anything. You say, "Thanks so much. Give me some time to mull all this over and I'll get back to you."

Or you say, "Thanks so much. I'll have my agent get back to you." and then you call the one agent and tell him/her that you have an offer on the table. (You also tell said agent that he/she can have 10% of this deal instead of the usual 15% since you've put it in place yourself. He/she can have 15% of the next sale.) You want the agent at this point to handle the negotiating for you.

Good luck!

Susan G.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
If the pub calls you back first with an offer, you take down all the relevent information, especially what they're offering.

You do NOT commit to anything. You say, "Thanks so much. Give me some time to mull all this over and I'll get back to you."

Or you say, "Thanks so much. I'll have my agent get back to you." and then you call the one agent and tell him/her that you have an offer on the table. (You also tell said agent that he/she can have 10% of this deal instead of the usual 15% since you've put it in place yourself. He/she can have 15% of the next sale.) You want the agent at this point to handle the negotiating for you.

Good luck!

Susan G.
Very grateful, Susan, for you input. These are excellent details you offered. It's all such a waiting game, but good to be prepared for the next step and keep hope in our hearts at all times!
Best wishes on your own successes,
Yours,
Writer Friend

TheWritingGuy

Registered
Reaction score
You also tell said agent that he/she can have 10% of this deal instead of the usual 15% since you've put it in place yourself. He/she can have 15% of the next sale. You want the agent at this point to handle the negotiating for you.

Is that acceptable to all agents or would some of them insist on getting their normal 15%?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I would think most would insist n 15%. Getting the offer is only part of the work to be done in selling this first book.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I would think most would insist n 15%. Getting the offer is only part of the work to be done in selling this first book.

In any case, if it's done respectfully, there is no harm at all in ASKING, right?

It's always negotiable. You can ask. They can say no. But I have known a number of writers who have done it this way and gotten the agent to take 10% on the first book contract since it was already a deal-on-the-table.

Don't think you can't ASK for things. Especially if you end up with publisher on the hook, but no agent. Then you will have to ask the publisher for things. :)

This is not a "you take just what they offer you and don't ask any questions and be grateful they offered you a crumb in the first place" kind of thing.

No agent or publisher is ever going to toss you off a cliff with a contract because you DARED to ask for things or negotiate a little bit.

This is BUSINESS.

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.