Calendar changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a historical should be dated. As I understand it, in the early 17th century, the new year began sometime in March, which meant that the ships sailing to the new world leaving in December of 1606 arrived in the New World three months later, still 1606, though by the time (May) they made landfall in Virginia, we date it as 1607. I would like to be accurate as well as easy to understand, so, what date should I give to January- March? If I use the old calendar, only historians will be able to interpret the time accurately. If I give the modern calendar, I will be seen by some as inaccurate. Is there some custom to follow here?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Good question. I hadn't thought of that. Then again, at the moment, mine are set early enough that while I know the year, I don't refer to months or anything, just seasons. I really don't know how that would be handled.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I also believe that around that time England was using a different calendar than the continent, because the protestants didn't like going with Pope Gregory's new calendar. The two were about a week off. I don't know when this started and ended though.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
The slogan "Give us back our eleven days!" comes to mind, but unfortunately not the date that the calender changed, and the eleven days 'drift' was taken away (which, of course, meant eleven fewer days to get your rent together etc).

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I also believe that around that time England was using a different calendar than the continent, because the protestants didn't like going with Pope Gregory's new calendar. The two were about a week off. I don't know when this started and ended though.

September 1752
Septembr 3- 13 were omitted from the calender

Status
Not open for further replies.