PDA

View Full Version : Things that piss me off.

juneafternoon
03-05-2008, 02:23 AM
I come home from school today, walk in the door, and see a very panic-stricken version of my brother on the phone. He literally flies across the living room, hanging up on whoever's on the line, and asks, "Is Mom with you???!"

My mom steps in behind me (she picked me up at school) just as I say, "Yeah." He throws himself on the floor, still clutching the phone, and wails. It's bloodcurdling. I start to think he's having an attack of some sort.

Then he stands up, runs to the hall that separates all of our rooms, still wailing. Moments later, he shows up in the living room and the phone begins to ring. He throws it on the dining table and yells at us not to touch it. It stops ringing. His cellphone begins to ring. He ignores that as well.

By this time, my mom and I are pretty much as clueless as one can get.

When they both stop ringing, he says, "Oh my God, a guy called the house phone, put a crying woman on the phone and then got on again, telling me he was about to kill you, Mom,"--he points to Mom--"and asked how fast I could get to the bank and how much I could withdraw."

As it turns out, he's not familiar with the con several bandits pull here in Brazil. They call your house, tell you a loved one's about to be shot dead, ask you to go to the nearest bank, withdraw 5000 reais, and meet them at a remote location so they can get the money and most presumably shoot you dead.

If we hadn't arrived at the moment we did, he'd have gotten inside a car, gone to the bank, and probably been killed. Thankfully, the only thing he gave them was his name and cellphone number, which he's now getting changed.

It was just the pinnacle of everything a person could do--these bandits, I mean--to piss me off. Some people are just the bottom-of-the-pond kind of scum, aren't they? Sheesh.

Soccer Mom
03-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Wow! I have no words. What a horrible, horrible thing to do to someone.

Mandy-Jane
03-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Just when you think you've heard about all the bad things in the world......someone comes up with something as bad as this. It's awful. Glad it all worked out okay for you.

SpookyWriter
03-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Terrible. For a moment there I thought you lived in Mexico.

Unique
03-05-2008, 03:09 AM
It's all about the money. I've been hearing about these scams south of the border (US border) for a while. It seems like they are getting worse. Is that true? Or just my perception?

June, in your opinion, is it true poverty behind these? Or merely greed? I have no way to even form an opinion from way over here. I'd really like to know.

P.S. Hug your brother, mother, and get them to hug you for me. ((hugs)) Mean people suck.

juneafternoon
03-05-2008, 03:32 AM
We hear about this sorta stuff all the time, but this is the first time anyone I know has had it happen to them. *sigh* Poor him though, he didn't know and he only JUST got back to Brazil to wait for a work visa to go back to the US.

Unique -- I'm sure it's poverty. I wouldn't be surprised if these people lived in the projects and were just going down a list of phone numbers. It was a collect call (probably payphone), but since sometimes I call collect home, my bro answered it. Brazil has many social inequality issues. I won't go in detail because that would take a long, long time, but basically, 80% of the money circulating is for 5% of the population and the other 20% is for 95% of the population. There are a lot of reasons for this, first and foremost because we have a shit president who's more preoccupied with his worthless agenda than the starvation and social problems of his people, and his next press picture with Hugo Chavez. The very association with Chavez is degrading and embarrassing.

That's third world countries for you, though. >.<

Thanks for all the happy wishes, everyone! :D

How2writer
03-05-2008, 03:46 AM
You should write a story where the hero/heroine cons these criminals and stops their con.

Mumut
03-05-2008, 04:05 AM
That is truely dreadful. Can you have a 'silent number' for your phone so it's not in the phone book?

juneafternoon
03-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Hahaha I totally should :) Sometime in the future though as my heroines are busy either being involved in unbalanced relationships or are in abusive homes. I really need to write a happy story ...

Hmm pretty sure you can but we weren't forecasting this happening, much less my brother falling for it. :( Pretty sure we'll get no more of those though, and if we do, we know better.