Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I thought this might be a fun topic. What's the oddest publication you've ever written for? For me it was Llamas Magazine, which is defunct now. The article topic was quite odd too...it was about a llama that lived in the local cemetery. Sadly, I never got my contributors' copies even tho' they sent the check, so my article is lost to posterity. It was 15 years ago, so no electronic copy.

I've done a few pieces for Miniature Donkey Talk now, and for some reason that seems to crack my friends and family up, although I don't see that as weird.

Any good ones out there? There's gotta be some good oddball trade mags and whatnot!

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
"The Midnight Conference," a Batman fanzine in the late 1980s.

I was the regular reviewer for the monthly Batman comic in it. It lasted several years, until the popularity of the 1989 Batman movie made the character a cash cow, and poor Martin Noreau (the publisher/editor) was served with a cease and desist by Warner, who have absolutely no sense of humor at all (Martin was a Canadian, so perhaps I should say "humour.")

Actually, I guess that's not all that odd, just quirky. I certainly loved writing for it at the time, though reading through those issues again 20 years later (yes, I still have all the hardcopies) is QUITE a cringe-inducing experience....

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hmmm...there were a couple of loooooooong defunct underground newspapers in the 60s (one of which I started with some friends). Suppose they don't count.

Maybe the oddest was a band's profile for a bluegrass magazine. It was the 70s and I was a rock n' roller. I had no interest in, or familiarity with bluegrass music. But a photographer friend (and bluegrass aficionado) called saying that in a moment of insanity he'd agreed to shoot this band and write a piece about them and one of their bar gigs. He couldn't write worth a lick and offered half his fee and he'd pick up my bar tab, if I'd come along and write it.

Couldn't turn that down. :)

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
My only published article in a magazine was a Disney movie review for The Living Wilderness. Only because my father was president of the Wilderness Society. It was Nature's Half Acre. I also had photographs published in Audubon Magazine, but there's nothing weird about that.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I never wrote for them, but I once had an interview to be an editor for Lubricants World.

No, it's not what you think.

It's a trade magazine for folks who make industrial greases and cooking oils and the like.

But it would have been worth getting the job just to print out some business cards.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
My first real sale was an article on marketing wool that appeared in Sheep!, a magazine for professional shepherds.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Maintenance and Repair Magazine

It was a magazine for building supers in Oregon. I did a profile.

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
My first short story sale was for Acreage Magazine. It's a farming magazine from the midwest and my short story was the first piece of fiction they published!

Status
Not open for further replies.