PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite movie line?

rhymegirl
03-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before or not.
But, let's say it hasn't. What's your favorite line from a movie?

mistri
03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Anyone...?

Anyone...?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Lisa Y
03-24-2005, 05:32 PM
"To my big brother, George, the richest man in town," It's a Wonderful Life.

Sarita
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Hmmm, favorite line? How about one I like? I hate naming favorites.

I apply my personality in a paste. ~Clementine “Eternal Sunshine”

Greenwolf103
03-24-2005, 07:49 PM
My favorite movie lines are here: http://dmcwriter.tripod.com/greenwolfsden/id6.html Need to scroll down a bit....

aka eraser
03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You kill' my father. Prepare to die."

From The Princess Bride, my all-time fave movie.

Sarita
03-24-2005, 08:23 PM
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You kill' my father. Prepare to die."

Don't forget the "Hhhhello!"

DaveKuzminski
03-24-2005, 08:27 PM
"I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds." Grig in The Last Starfighter.

maestrowork
03-24-2005, 08:30 PM
"By George she's got it. By George she's got it." -- My Fair Lady

"Life's like a box of chocolate." -- Forrest Gump

"It doesn't matter! It's in the past." -- The Lion King

"I have nipples. Can you milk me?" -- Meet the Parents

"It's inconceivable." -- The Princess Bride

"There can be only one." -- Highlander

"I feel the need -- for speed." -- Top Gun

"Today we celebrate our independence." -- Independence Day

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f---ing Merlot!" -- Sideways

E.G. Gammon
03-24-2005, 08:30 PM
"The only place different social types can genuinely get along with each other is in heaven." - J.D., Heathers

So, true... unfortunately. That's one sad, true quote that always stuck with me.

robeiae
03-24-2005, 08:36 PM
"You the outlaw Josey Wales?"

"Yup...you a bounty hunter?"

"Man's gotta make a livin'"

"Dying ain't much of a livin' boy!"

Don't think I need to name the flick.

Rob :guns:

robeiae
03-24-2005, 08:38 PM
On the lighter side:

"Back off Ming! Dale's with me!" (Flash Gordon in "Flash Gordon")

Rob

William Haskins
03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Geisler chews on his cottage cheese and stares at Barton.

GEISLER
. . . Look, you're confused? You need guidance? Talk
to another writer.

BARTON
Who?

Geisler rises and throws his napkin onto his plate.

GEISLER
Jesus, throw a rock in here, you'll hit one. And do
me a favor, Fink: Throw it hard.

Betty W01
03-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Who are you, mister?
Jake Elder.
I thought you were dead!
Not hardly... *bang*

John Wayne, in The Sons of Katie Elder

I love John Wayne...

BradyH1861
03-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I love John Wayne...

Me too! Me too!

Brady H.

robeiae
03-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Who are you, mister?
Jake Elder.
I thought you were dead!
Not hardly... *bang*

John Wayne, in The Sons of Katie Elder

I love the Duke, too. I'm a bit fuzzy on this movie...I know that in "Big Jake," John Wayne said almost the same thing, about four times:

Head Kidnapper: Who are you anyway mister?
JW: Jacob McCandles
HK: *coughing* I thought chu' were dead!
JW: Not hardly *HK collapses and dies*

Did they use the same routine in both? Anyone? (not that it would be all that surprising if they did, I just can't remember)

Rob

Betty W01
03-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I love the Duke, too. I'm a bit fuzzy on this movie...I know that in "Big Jake," John Wayne said almost the same thing, about four times:

Head Kidnapper: Who are you anyway mister?
JW: Jacob McCandles
HK: *coughing* I thought chu' were dead!
JW: Not hardly *HK collapses and dies*

Did they use the same routine in both? Anyone? (not that it would be all that surprising if they did, I just can't remember)

Rob

No, it was my mistake and the fact that I haven't gotten to watch any movies I picked in so long, I forgot*. You're right, it was Big Jake I meant. (But I liked both movies. Still, my favorite JW movie is Donovan's Reef", although I can't tell you any of the dialogue.)

*except for making DH watch "Raising Helen" with me on Sat. I loved it!

Greenwolf103
03-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Bogie is my fave. *sighs and gets all starry-eyed*

JoeEkaitis
03-24-2005, 11:48 PM
“NEVER make a friend I can eat.”

--James Woods as "Falcon" in Stuart Little 2

aka eraser
03-24-2005, 11:51 PM
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes - wait longer." Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura.

"He raped Thrace thrice?" Zero Mostel in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

"Poor moth - she flew too near my flame." The solder Miles Gloriosus (forget who played him) in AFTHOTWTTF. I steal that line a LOT.

Not a movie line but: "E's not dead. E's pinin' for the fjords." From Monty Python's Dead Parrot skit.

maestrowork
03-24-2005, 11:51 PM
"I ate his liver with fava beans and nice glass of chianti." -- Silence of the Lambs

BradyH1861
03-25-2005, 12:15 AM
"To be a good narcotics officer, you must love narcotics. In fact, you must have narcotics in your blood."

Denzel Washington in "Training Day"

"Did the fire look at you? Ohhhhhhhh, it did."

Donald Sutherland in "Backdraft"

"I've drank more beer, pissed more blood, pounded more quiff, and busted more balls than all you sons of b-----s combined."

Clint Eastwood in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Sarita
03-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in? So fair, yet so cold like a morning of pale Spring still clinging to Winter's chill. ~LotR, Two Towers

"Have you ever been Cosmically b itch slapped by a six armed goddess?... I'll take that as a NO!" ~ Bubble Boy

Fractured_Chaos
03-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Steve Bushemi seems to get all the really good lines that stick with me.

From Con Air ~

["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background.]
Garland Greene: Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

From Armegeddon ~

Rockhound (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/): You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

Wandering Sensei
03-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in? So fair, yet so cold like a morning of pale Spring still clinging to Winter's chill. ~LotR, Two Towers

"Have you ever been Cosmically b itch slapped by a six armed goddess?... I'll take that as a NO!" ~ Bubble Boy

A woman after my own heart. A lot of my favorite lines are from the LotR movies as well.

Gimli: "That an elf will go underground when a dwarf dare not? I'll never hear the end of it." ROTK

Legolas (during the drinking game): "I feel something. My fingers are beginning to tingle. I think it's beginning to affect me." (As Gimli passes out onto the floor...) "Game over."

Aragorn: "For Frodo." At the battle in front of the Black Gate in Mordor.

Gollum to Smeagol: "You don't have any friends. No one likes you."

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 01:09 AM
"You call that a kiss?" Last of the Dogmen

Sarita
03-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Legolas (during the drinking game): "I feel something. My fingers are beginning to tingle. I think it's beginning to affect me." (As Gimli passes out onto the floor...) "Game over."

I think Legolas has a lot of the best lines...well thought out, a few words...

three seven
03-25-2005, 01:14 AM
"You and that other dummy'd better start getting more personally involved in your work, or I'm gonna stab you through the heart with a f**kin pencil."

"Don't say a word to me, Sidney. Don't say a f**king word to me or I'll get up and I'll bury this telephone in your head."

Best. Film. Ever.

Probably.

JanaLanier
03-25-2005, 01:17 AM
"I'm going crazy. I'm standing here solidly on my own two hands and going crazy.” Katharine Hepburn in Philadelphia Story

"Playing it safe is just about the most dangerous thing a woman like you could do." Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck

“What brings you to this nape of the woods, neck of the wape; How come you're here?” Chevy Chase in Caddyshack

oh, I could go on and on.... :)

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Not really a line, but I loved the restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally.

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 01:25 AM
And... "I'll have what she's having." The old lady sitting next to them in the restaurant.

Sarita
03-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Charlie: Got myself out of Beirut once, I think I can get out of New Jersey.
Mitch : Yeah, well don't be so sure. Others have tried and failed. The entire population, in fact. ~Long Kiss Goodnight (I'm from Jersey, BTW)

Sarita
03-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Okay, keeping with the NJ theme...

Anna: He's definitely gonna steal the Codex. I can feel it. I'm not sure when.
Cardinal: "Attempt to steal," you mean. The vanity in this man Hudson Hawk! The Vatican has foiled the advances of pirates and terrorists. We will not lie down for some schmuck from New Jersey. ~ Hudson Hawk... I shouldn't love this movie so much!
:roll:

Wandering Sensei
03-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Robin Williams' line at the end of What Dreams May Come: "I found you in hell. You think I can't find you in Jersey?"

"MOVE!" -- Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean

"Will...nice hat." -- Captain Jack Sparrow, also in PotC.

There are actually people who hated the Legolas character in the movies. Can you believe that? I am constantly blown away by Orlando's talent. (Looking the way he does I'm sure doesn't hurt, either.)

"They do not know
what lies ahead,
When sun has failed,
and moon is dead." -- Gollum in LotR

arrowqueen
03-25-2005, 03:41 AM
'What are you rebelling against?'

'What have you got?'

(Though I can't remember if it was Marlon Brando or James Dean.)

rhymegirl
03-25-2005, 03:56 AM
I just realized I haven't answered my own question yet.

This is from the novel as well as the movie:

I LOVE the whole passage spoken by Gandalf in the first Lord of the Rings. It's something like: "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." GREAT!

My son really likes a line at the end of the movie, Cellular.

"It's a day spa, you f***k!"

Wandering Sensei
03-25-2005, 04:20 AM
I love Galadriel's speech at the beginning of the movies, that includes the line, "...and some things, that should not have been forgotten, were lost...."

CACTUSWENDY
03-25-2005, 04:30 AM
:snoopy: ...The 'sound' that Lector makes....like a snake. :Trophy:

rhymegirl
03-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Yes, one of my favorite Hannibal Lecter lines is:

"Discourtesy is unspeakably ugly to me."

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Volcano when the little boy is asked if he sees his mommy.

"Look at their faces. They're all the same."

He's so precious.

CindyBidar
03-25-2005, 06:37 AM
"Come on, sporto, level with me. Do you slip her the hot...beef...injection?" John Bender, The Breakfast Club

robeiae
03-25-2005, 06:51 AM
The coop dee grassee:

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony. Strange women distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! You can't expect me to acknowledge you as king just because some moistened vixen threw a scimitar at you!"

And

"I'm INVINCIBLE!!" "You're a bloody looney!"

Rob ("Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" "Bloody Peasant!")

sgtsdaughter
03-25-2005, 06:56 AM
"And suddenly it hit him. He couldn't remember the last time he had sex sober." from the movie and book The Rules of Attraction

tasteless, I know . . . :tongue

Annessa

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 07:11 AM
"To infinity, and beyond."

VA Buckeye
03-25-2005, 07:22 AM
The Bride (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000235/): Those of you lucky enough to have your lives take them with you. However, leave the limbs you've lost. They belong to me now.

Vincent Vega (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000237/): I got a threshold, Jules. I got a threshold for the abuse I'll take. And right now I'm a race car and you got me in the red. I'm just saying that it's f**kin' dangerous to have a racecar in the f**kin' red. It could blow.
Jules (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000168/): Oh, you're gettin' ready to blow?
Vincent Vega (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000237/): I could blow.
Jules (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000168/): Well I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' motherf**ker, motherf**ker! Every time my fingers touch brain I'm "SUPERFLY T.N.T", I'm the "GUNS OF THE NAVARONE". In fact, what the **** am I doin' in the back? You're the motherf**ker should be on brain detail.

Ordell Robbie (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000168/): AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf**ker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Budd (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000514/): You're telling me she cut through eighty-eight bodyguards before she got to O-Ren?
Bill (http://imdb.com/name/nm0001016/): Nah, there weren't really eighty-eight of them. They just called themselves "The Crazy 88."
Budd (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000514/): How come?
Bill (http://imdb.com/name/nm0001016/): I don't know. I guess they thought it sounded cool.

allion
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
A few:

"No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. I will find you!" - Last of the Mohicans

"He has given us his shoe." - Life of Brian

"I hate snakes, Jock! I hate 'em!" - Raiders of the Lost Ark

"But you have heard of me." - Pirates of the Caribbean

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Fellowship of the Ring

"Well, I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." - The Usual Suspects

"They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of." - The Big Lebowski

And now I really have to go get some sleep...

Karen

Liam Jackson
03-25-2005, 10:31 AM
So many lines, so little time.
I'll go with a television program instead.

"What? You summon Satan and expect him to play fair?"
Mulder-X Files

Lisa Y
03-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Three-Seven:

"How much is coffee?"
"Fifty-three cents."
"How much is tea?"
"Fifty-three cents."

"I'll have tea."

Lisa Y
03-25-2005, 04:37 PM
There was an academy award winning film about Henry II starring Kathyrn Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. I'm ashamed I don't know the name of it (probably Henry II but I'm not sure). Anyway, in it, Eleanor of Aquitaine says to Henry II,

"I could peel you like a pear and God himself would call it justice."

I love that line!

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
"That's Calvin Klein." -- Back to the Future

Rob-rite
03-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad,
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing life's gristle,
Don't grumble,
Give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best.
And...

MacAllister
03-25-2005, 10:27 PM
There was an academy award winning film about Henry II starring Kathyrn Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.

Ah! The Lion in Winter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063227/). :) O'Toole also played Henry II in Becket (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057877/) -- another terrific film, adapted from a French play.

Greenwolf103
03-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Liam, you know I love ya, my man, but I'm afraid you've misquoted Mulder. I'm pretty sure what he said was this: "Did you really think you could summon the Devil and expect him to behave?"

Liam Jackson
03-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm researching that line, now. You're probably right and my penchant for the paraphrase kicked in. :)

Liam Jackson
03-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, kiddo, you were a helluva lot closer than I was. The quote is:
"Did you really think that you could call up the devil and ask him to behave?"

And it's STILL my favorite movie/televison line. :)

allion
03-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Ah! The Lion in Winter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063227/). :) O'Toole also played Henry II in Becket (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057877/) -- another terrific film, adapted from a French play.

Ah yes:

"Shall we hang the holly or each other?" - Love it, love it!

Karen

WVWriterGirl
03-26-2005, 12:36 AM
"A boy and his bird. How touching." - The Crow, Top Dollar to Eric Draven.
"Caw! Caw! Bang! F**k, I'm dead!" - The Crow, Top Dollar
"Big titted naked chicks don't just fall out of the sky, you know!" - Dogma, Jay
The whole opening sequence of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where Jay's "rapping" - left out here for *ahem* bad words

Just a few of my favorites. Like so many of the rest of ya'll, my list is entirely too long...

WVWG

Optimus
03-26-2005, 09:47 AM
"F-ck Lando Calrissian! Uncle Tom nigga." - Hooper X in Chasing Amy

"I'll tell you what you need is a fatty boom batty blunt. Then I guarantee you'll see a sailboat, the ocean, maybe even some of them big tittied mermaids doing some of that lesbian sh-t. Look at me, look at me you sloppy b!tch!" Jay from Mallrats

"It can't rain all the time." Eric Draven from The Crow

"Why don't you just change your name?"

"Why should I? He's the one who sucks!" Naj and Michael Bolton from Office Space

brokenfingers
03-26-2005, 10:08 AM
"There is no spoon."

Lisa Y
03-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Optimus,

"I'm just gonna have to ask you to...uh...come in and work on...uh, Saturday, so if you could go ahead and...uh...come in on Saturday...that'd be greeeeaaat."

Broken Fingers,

Yes, how could I forget "there is no spoon." That has to be one of the greats right up there with Jaws, "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Melina
03-26-2005, 07:42 PM
"You're not even interesting enough to make me sick!" (Cher to Jack Nicholson in The Witches of Eastwick)

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smartass!" (Mike Myers to himself in So I Married an Axe Murderer)

"No more rhyming, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?" (exchange between Wallace Shawn and Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride)

rhymegirl
03-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Oh, Lisa, that's one of my favorites, too from Jaws.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I LOVE Jaws. One of my top 10 favorite movies.

OOh, also forgot The Wizard of Oz.

"There's no place like home."

robeiae
03-26-2005, 08:52 PM
"You know. Nietzsche says 'Out of chaos comes order.'"

"Ahh...blow it out your a** Howard!"

From "Blazing Saddles"

Rob

Dawno
03-27-2005, 12:34 AM
"Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons."

sharon
03-27-2005, 11:24 AM
In keeping with Easter...

"It's a little bunny rabbit." from Monty Python's 'In Search of the Holy Grail' (a true classic).:snoopy:

Paint
03-28-2005, 12:35 AM
"Make my day..." (Said with nasty spit through the snarl.) Clint Eastwood

"Do NOT go in there!!!!!!" Jim Carrey

:-]

pepperlandgirl
03-28-2005, 01:38 AM
"You're a daisy if you do!"
"I'm your huckleberry."
"It appears my hypocricy goes only so far."

All from Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Jakalyn
03-28-2005, 05:38 PM
"You're a daisy if you do!"
"I'm your huckleberry."
"It appears my hypocricy goes only so far."

All from Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Yep, "I'm your Huckleberry"
my favorite line ever out of all movies, it's the way he says it.

rhymegirl
03-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Val Kilmer was great in that movie. He should have gotten an Oscar for it.

Jakalyn
03-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Val Kilmer was great in that movie. He should have gotten an Oscar for it.

I agree. And he was excellent as Jim Morrison in The Doors.

If you watch those movies back to back, it's hard to believe it's the same man.

Maryn
03-28-2005, 09:02 PM
“Nobody kills anybody in my place of business--except me or Zed.” --Pulp Fiction

“I don’t like you when you’re stoned.” “I don’t like you when I’m not.” --Cutter’s Way

“Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords... that's no basis for a system of government.” --Monty Python and the Holy Grail

“Just think what you and Miss Breckenridge could do with a dozen eohippi!” --The Valley of Gwanji

Maryn, who watched Gawnji Saturday night and whose stomach still hurts from laughing

Lisa Y
03-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I saw this last night on SciFi and couldn't resist.

"Asps. Very dangerous...YOU go first."

From Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Ack!! I mean Raiders of the Lost Ark!!

BlueTexas
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Jules: Normally, both your a**es would be dead as f***ing fried chicken, but you happen to pull this sh*t while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna kill you, I wanna help you. But I can't give you this case, it don't belong to me. Besides, I've already been through too much sh*t this morning over this case to hand it over to your dumb a**.

Pulp Fiction

wurdwise
03-30-2005, 05:58 PM
"Though nothing can bring back the hour, of splendor in the grass and glory in the flower, we shall grieve not, but find strength in what remains behind."

-Splendor in the Grass, Circa 1960

ooh, ooh! I just thought of another one!

Sometimes being a beeatch is all a woman has to hold onto.
-Dolores Clairborne

The Geek
03-30-2005, 10:57 PM
"Gimme some sugar, baby." ~ Ash

Kida Adelyne
03-31-2005, 03:09 AM
Ooooo... so many to choose from! here we go:

"what are we holding onto Sam?"
"That theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."
-The Two Towers

"No Sam. I'm going to Mordor alone."
"Of coarse you are. And I'm comin' with you!"
-The Fellowship of the Ring

"Maybe you should get some pants on, If you plan on fighting Evil today."
-Mystery Men (I probably mis-qoated it)

"Great Warrior? Hmmmm... wars not make one great."
-Empire Strikes Back

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
-Empire Strikes Back

"That's for Frodo! That's for the shire! And that's for my old gaffer!"
-Return of the King

"Always look on the bright side of life..." (the whole song is a riot, I just don't have it off the top of my head)
-Life of Brian