Cobblestone beaches - Great Lakes

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone \up on wild places along any of the Great Lakes? I'm looking for suggestions for an isolated area with a cobblestone beach.

Thanks.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Anyone \up on wild places along any of the Great Lakes? I'm looking for suggestions for an isolated area with a cobblestone beach.

Thanks.

Milwaukee Wisconsin has a wonderfully "secluded" park called Grant Park on the South side. The park itself has sand, but North of that the beach stretched on and is strewn with rocks and dead fish. (Which is why it's not used often.) You have to catch it before the alewife run.

The park section leading to the beach is called Seven Bridges by most of the locals even though there are more bridges than that. It was built during the CCC push in the late forties.

On the north side there is a park near a Catholic church so they call it St. Mary's woods. It's just north of the University so CRAZY stuff goes on there. In winter at least one child breaks their arm going down the hill.

Much, much farther north (Door County, WI) you can't get any more secluded than Rock Island National(?)/State Park. The only access is foot ferry. No cars except for the ranger truck and some tractors. At the tip of Door County is a group retreat called "The Clearing." My sister worked there in the seventies and early eighties. I'm not sure if it is still there.

Amy

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
One more thing...

In Milwaukee it is "common" to watch the submarine races at night.

*snicker*

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Amy! My MCs need to end their trek near a cobblestone beach and lots of water and away from people. My original plan was to bring them all the way home to the coast but logistically I don't think it will work. Unfortunately being stuck in Chicago for two nights in a snowstorm is my total experience with that region of the world.

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
That was my husband and I coming back from North Caicos with no winter coats and me wearing cloth soled shoes with a backpack full of shorts. I felt a little better knowing I wasn't the woman in line behind us who was stuck on her multi-day trip home from the Antarctic.

At least in July I could have been excused for being so ill prepared.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Copper Harbor, Michigan, Upper Peninsula, near Isle Royale National Park (on an island, as it says), cobblestone beaches, Lake Superior agates (beautiful colorful banded agates), and of course lots of copper. Isolated, small town. Have a sauna. Check Google Maps, satellite view.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
St. Ignace near Mackinaw--Awesome!

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Thanks Amy! My MCs need to end their trek near a cobblestone beach and lots of water and away from people. My original plan was to bring them all the way home to the coast but logistically I don't think it will work. Unfortunately being stuck in Chicago for two nights in a snowstorm is my total experience with that region of the world.
If you want a remote location (out of urban environment) search north of the Sheyboygan (She boy again) area. I think the beaches/shoreline up there is mostly bluffs with grass maybe limited surf-line stretches that are quite rocky. According to my limited memories (in Maryland now..) in order to access much of western Lake Michigan you have to climb down sand/sandstone bluffs.

Lake Superior has a lot of rocky (cliffs) coastline with hidden alcoves and is VERY remote in places.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Whitefish Point - sticks out into Lake Superior about 50 or so miles west of Mackinaw. Beautiful beach and lighthouse. It was right off this point that the Edmund Fitzgerald went down. But, on the flip side - nasty, nasty flies during parts of the summer.

The beaches all along the Keewenaw Peninsula (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) are almost all "cobblestone" beaches - Copper Harbor, mentioned above, is at the extreme end of Keewenaw. Lake Superior has some beautiful beaches (and some sudden, violent storms.)

Lake Michigan Beaches to me seem to be more sandy. Lake Erie beaches have cobblestones but they're pretty much gray and nondescript. Hope that helps. Puma

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
You're all the best!

I'll spend some time googling places, now that I have names to search. And a map. I've got to get myself a better map.

DeaconBlu

Registered
Reaction score
My wife's best friend's mom and dad have a mobile home parked on a lot by the Keweenaw Bay. It's for rent (special deal for writing friends) if you want to do your own research/vacation/business write off.