I quit!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Smoking.

Four days and counting. This is a big deal, people, I need a party!

(psst...I have chantix...it won't make you feel like you're tripping, but it will make you feel like you're coming down from it!)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
*peeks in with a lit cigarette in a hand*

Congratulations!! Oh... am I filling this thread with smoke? I'm sorry, moving along.

*leaves disgusting cig-smell behind her*

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Smoking.

Four days and counting. This is a big deal, people, I need a party!

(psst...I have chantix...it won't make you feel like you're tripping, but it will make you feel like you're coming down from it!)

I am proud of you as well as envious. Congrats... :partyguy::partyguy:

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Woo-hoo, you can do it. I know you can. I did, and I'm so glad. I took the Chantix, and the dreams are worth any of the icky feelings it gives you if you take it on an empty stomach. I'll be smoke free for six months at the end of March, and I'm really proud of myself.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I don't know you, but I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :banana::banana:

I quit my heavy 20-year smoking habit in 2000 and never looked back! The quitting was the easy part. It was the decision to quit that was tough. I used a combination of The Patch and Zyban, and it worked like a dream. Oh, and something pretty funny that I used to do is cut a straw in half and stuff it with cotton. I'd suck on it whenever I got the urge. Worked like a charm!

If you ever need support, if you're ever feeling a weakness coming on, send me a private message. I'll help you through it. I've been there. I totally know what it's like.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Siddow. All the best...to those who'll be around you for the next few days! And, all the best to you, too.

Tim

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Siddow. I quit when the price of Benson and Hedges increased from thirty cents to thirty three cents a packet (1971). I was firmly convinced nobody would want to pay so much for cigarettes. So next time I went on a month's patrol into the New Guinea jungle, I didn't take cigs with me. At the time it felt a bit like planning suicide but am I glad I did it!

So keep at it. You can do it. Congratulations

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, excellent, you can do it.

I'm back to three ciggies a day after puffing far too much while down South, I feel 1000 percent better.

Keep up the good work!

:)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Siddow! And Congratulations!

Seriously.

But please be careful with Chantix. It DOES work - but it can have side effects. Serious side effects and even after effects.

Trust me on this.

If you don't believe me, ask some other folks here who know me well, like JDKiggins, MacAllister, OFG, KTC (or whatever he's calling himself these days) ;) or even others who noticed but didn't participate.

PM me if you like.

>''<

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, keep going. I have witnessed up close how hard this can be, and how long four days can seem.

It's excellent that you're doing this! Good willpower to you. Your lungs and everyone who loves you thanks you.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Phew. The thread title had me believing Siddow was preparing us for a world-class flounce of epic proportions.

I'm relieved to find all she did was quit smoking.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Siddow, You are already one day past the point of physical withdrawl. Good job! I am seriously considering joining you. In fact, my OH was just last night figuring on a calculator how many cigs we smoke in a year's time. At one pack a day, that's 7,040 cigarettes a year of tar, nicotine, and carbon monoxide, etc., coating our precious lungs. Now, you are past the shakes and insane ravings. My sister kept going by replacing them with good habits like going for walks. It helped to keep her weight level which is the number one reason people fail when quitting. You go girl!

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
That's great. Not smoking combined with bathing makes for a very unusual writer.

1 year 3 months for me for not smoking. I've never given up bathing. ;)

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
That's great. Not smoking combined with bathing makes for a very unusual writer.

Hey, at least I still have the vodka, eh?

Aw, great, now I'm Canadian!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Way2go and congrats! Sid. You'll do it. I managed to and you will too! :hooray:

Party time: :Cake: :popcorn: :Cake: :TheWave: :Guitar: :Cake: :popcorn: :Cake: :snoopy: :TheWave: :PartySmil: :partyguy: more :Cake: ! :D

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Siddow! My dad gave up smoking. He said that the moment he realized he had succeeded was when he stopped thinking of himself as a smoker OR as a non-smoker. Easier said than done, but I thought I'd share the only quitting experience I know.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Holy Crap! Good for you! I've been meaning to quit for some time now, but every time I start, something stressful in my life happens and I go right back. I actually quit for two months when I got burned, so I know I can get of the physical part, its the habit I just can't quit.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Jee, thanks, Siddow, Unique. With all the smokers quitting, who the hell is going to fund the healthcare programs the candidates are sponsoring?

What, a hundred smokers paying $10 million a pack in taxes?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it should be people driving luxury vehicles. oh, say ... anything over 50 grand.

That would be most escalades and hummers, eh? ;)

Siddow - keep going. It IS hard to quit. It's not just a physical habit. It's different for different people.

For me, it was physical, emotional, mental, and also spiritual. That's a whole load of addiction/habit. No wonder it's hard to quit!

I try to think of it like AA. I have to tell myself, 'No', every single day. And if I fall off the wagon - I have to get back on.

Don't fall off and stay off - get back on the darn wagon! ;)

((hugs))

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Hey girl! Are you feeling tortured and alone? No longer. It's nine in the morning and I haven't had a cig in thirteen hours. My OH doesn't know yet, I'm afraid to make or break the commitment by telling him. Sometimes you can hang on to a thing on your own, alone, but another person knows what your up to, looks once at you funny and you say, "Well the Hell with it! Why am I doing this alone?"

Thing is, every time I've done this, he's the one refuses to cooperate in any way, shape, or form. I know how he feels. When my granddaughter comes over we go out on the porch and smoke. It makes me feel a bit like a leper. I like the freedom to smoke when and where in my own house. So, I basically quit when she's over. I'd rather have a granddaughter fix, anyway. My daughter does all the back and forth to the porch. To her, this is almost like the old days when she could relax and have a cigarette. Even before the baby began, she and her OH had made a pact not to smoke in the new house. They go onto the porch in the cold. When I go visit at thier house, I flat out quit. LOL

Anyhow, I'm surprised I could write this much while jiggling. I figure 2 & 1/2 more days of keeping my fingers busy might give me something to keep working on and a far healthier body.

I'll check in with you tomorrow. Hang in.

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Kerr! It was the physical symptoms that kept me from quitting before. I'd go totally bonkers, from rage to a weeping puddle of goo in a matter of seconds.

That's where Chantix came in handy. I didn't have any of those withdrawal symptoms this time. And unlike Unique, I didn't have a bad reaction to the drug. Yeah, there were little unpleasantries here and there, but I did a lot of reading on it before I took the first pill, so I can't say anything happened that surprised me. I've actually felt quite peaceful all along.

Good luck, Kerr, and all you other quitters! We can do this! I think I have one slight advantage; in my little world, I'm the only one who smoked.