What's the person called who brings your food out at a restaurant?

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
At many restaurants the waiter/waitress/server doesn't bring the food out, someone else does. What is that person called?

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
No, a busboy clears the tables. I guess I don't get out much, because it seems weird that a waitress wouldn't serve the food. Or even stranger, that a server wouldn't serve! So what do they do? Just take your order and then go read a magazine in the back? I guess things have changed since I was a Big Boy's waitress in the 70s! :)

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
At many restaurants the waiter/waitress/server doesn't bring the food out, someone else does. What is that person called?

I must not get out enough because in the restuarants where I eat and have eaten (in multiple states), the same person brings the food that takes the order!!

Waiter, waitress, server, wait person, are the terms that come to mind, though.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I know what you're talking about - Applebees & TGIFridays have people that bring the food out that isn't the waiter/waitress... I just don't know what its called....

The bartender helpers are bar-backs .... something-back? Sorry! At least my record of not helping isn't broken!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Normally the server/waiter/waitress is expected to bring your food out. Another server or a busboy will occasionally do it if you're slammed with other tables. (Even the manager, if you're really busy).

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
In Hollywood and New York, they are called "actors."

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
At the restaurants I've worked in, servers bring out your food. It may not be *your* server, because when the food comes up in the window, the kitchen wants it out while it's hot and fresh, so whatever server is standing in the kitchen runs it to the table. And sometimes on busy shifts there will be a specific food runner.

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
I'd think they'd be called a server. I never think of a waiter/waitress as a "server", and even if they were called a server they wouldn't technically be one unless they served you the damn food.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
It's already been said, but also contradicted, so I'll say it again. I've worked restaurants, they're called runners. They're usually used during peak periods when the servers/waiters/actors/garcons have too many balls in the air.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
I worked in a restaurant and my sole job was to bring the food out to the tables. My job title was expediter, but I've also heard it called food runner.

Hope that helps!