• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Write a Best Seller without First Securing a Buyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebee

Registered
Reaction score
This is my (future) dilemna:
I write a great novel.
However, in this scenario, the book has written itself.
There was no query letter sent nor an agent secured.
How would an author try and sell such a book?
Do any writers operate this way?
Thanks for any advance and hope you have a great week ahead. :)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about writing a book before querying and getting an agent? I mean, that's what almost everyone does. (Weirdly, it wasn't what I did, but that's a whole other story.) Or do you mean something else by "written itself"?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an agent but I've had my book published by one publisher and in line for publication with another publisher. I just sent a proposal to the publishers direct.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
There are certainly best sellers published by houses that do not require an agent. I think MacAdam Cage doesn't require agented submissions and that's the house that published The Time Traveler's Wife. But usually with a novel you do have to have it written first.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hi littlebee.

Well, you've flummoxed me. Your question certainly doesn't belong in Freelance writing and I suspect the folks over at Novel Writing might eat you.

Figuratively speaking of course. :)

I'm going to try sending this over to the nice folks at Basic Writing Questions.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
It'd be tough to sell a book without an agent. Some of the small press take manuscripts without agents, and a few of the fantasy publishers, but I believe they may also take much longer to get a response than an agent. The majority of the publishers don't accept unsolicited manuscripts (meaning you'd need an agent). Pretty much, there aren't any shortcuts.

And, of course, though every writer dreams of their book being a best seller, there isn't a guarantee of that either.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Unfortunately, with a query letter, unless you actually know an agent / publisher. You have to make contact to sell it ( even with just the publisher and not an agent, you'll still need that query letter - most don't take whole MS's as submissions at least here in the UK).

OFC I could have completely misunderstood the question, that happens to me all the time.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, though every writer dreams of their book being a best seller, there isn't a guarantee of that either.
Sheesh, why didn't anyone tell me that years ago?

Maryn, winking

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
The fact is, if you've written a great novel, someone will be willing to represent it. Most major publishing houses only handle agented manuscripts, like other posters have said.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you try advertising it? I've heard authors try to sell their books through media before they hit the shelves.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want an agent? Just curious. If you are imagining that submitting directly to publishers and cutting out the whole querying process will make things speedier and less painful, you're unfortunately mistaken.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
This is my (future) dilemna:
I write a great novel.
However, in this scenario, the book has written itself.
Do any writers operate this way?
Thanks for any advance and hope you have a great week ahead. :)

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of mircropresses out there that would scarf up your completed book in a heartbeat. No agent required. Honest. If your goal is to see your great novel in print, there's a good bet one of these guys will grant your wish. Just don't quit your day job.

I adore small press publishers. I've had two different ones for two different books and it was a great experience. I didn't make more than a few hundred dollars on each, but that's not why you choose this smaller avenue of publication. It's unlikely you could make a living writing books for a small press. Even a big press, for that matter.

If you're looking to make a living wage off that great novel, finish the book and then query the couple of large-scale publishes that still accept unagented submissions. You may just be the one that lightning strikes. And then you can do this. :snoopy:

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I too, have written a bestseller. Unfortunately, it hasn't been published yet.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, you're doing things in the right order. With fiction, a first-time writer has to finish the book first before you approach publishers or agents (this is true 95% of the time in the US--the few exceptions, like work-for-hire with series characters, almost certainly don't apply to you).

If you live in the US and you want to be published by a large publishing house (read: you want an advance of $5,000 or up) you need an agent. There is a lot of information on here about how to get an agent in the US, and some more specific information for Canadians on how to get a Canadian agent.

If you live in the UK, there are some good resources on how to find an agent out there on the Internet, and other folks will probably have some pointers for you.

If you live in Australia, NZ, or elsewhere in the English-speaking world, I'm sure there's someone on here who can offer specific advice about approaching publishers or agents or both.

If you don't care about being published by a large publishing house, there are small presses and micropresses that accept submissions directly from authors.

littlebee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback!
I am so delighted by this discussion. :)
Deep in my soul is a novel that needs to be written.
Should I sit down and dare to write these words, despite no promise of monetary recompense? My higher self mandates a resounding "Yes!".
The next question, then, is if against all odds, the novel is terrific and needs to be shared with the world, what would be a good way for me to approach a big-time publisher? Would I first need to contact an agent with my finished piece and hope they too fall in love with it? Thank you again for your wonderful feedback! :)

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Littlebee,

I'm going to step in with the hope of, if nothing else, saving you from the pummeling I sense you are in for.

It's clear you're green; that's okay, we all were at one stage during our love affair of writing. My advice? Put your huge aspirations on the back burner. I speak for myself, and doubt few will admit what I'm about to, but I, too, was once filled with delusions of grandeur. Thinking I would tear the literary world to shreds and no one could touch the likes of me.

Well, the truth is, I sucked. Not only did I suck, my words were about as neatly strung together as vomit splattered all over the toilet bowl.

You're excited about this idea; that's great. You seem to have a passion, too; again, great. My only wish for you is that you are careful: don't let your emotions guide you through the writing of this book. The results if you do? A story with an odor reminiscent of dead rodents soaked then boiled in vinegar.

Write hard. Write honest. Write well. Find a critique partner, someone with no emotional attachment to you or your work. Get knocked back a peg or two, then fix what is wrong (and I guarantee you, there's always plenty that is).

So yes, to answer your questions, FIRST AND FOREMOST write the hell out of your story. Then revise, revise, revise. After that, revise some more. Work your fingers to the bone, until your novel is the best it can be. After all this, YES, find an agent. Clearly you have reveries of success; an agent is the most likely person to help you attain them.

You have many peaks and valleys to traverse, and it's a helluva ride. You bring back a lot of memories for me.

And I wish you the best of luck.

Lyx

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So all of this on how to make your books best-seller? Hehe, that was my dream too..... You dream of one day your book could become a movie a video game and people can roleplay your characters in their backyard. Being interviewed on TV. Having millions of people read your book.Getting autographs If this really happened to me, I'd be so happy.Well a kid has got to dream... :,(

Oh well, some dreams are meant to be flushed down the toilet. It's better to just write anyway and hope you get lucky.

End of my Emo statement.

I just read that the best way of making bestsellers is using the BIC method. But some writers failed to even attempt that.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
With fiction, unless you already have a track record, and a good one, you're highly unlikely to sell a book without a completed manuscript in hand. You must first write your novel. Then you must get unbiased opinions about whether it's ready to go out to agents or publishers. Then you must revise until you honestly cannot make the work any better. Along the way, if you haven't done so already, you need to read books about fiction writing, editing, and marketing, learn the basics.

Can lightning strike? That is, can you have instant success at the highest commercial level? It's happened, but it's an extremely rare phenomenon, and to pin all your hopes on writing a bestseller is to discount the many "lesser" achievements in writing. Writing some good polished short stories is big. Simply completing the first draft of a novel is big. And so on, all the way to the pinnacle.

My feeling is this: Write only if the writing itself gives you satisfaction, because the process is all you can own for sure. You have a right to your work, your stories. You have a right to market your work to the best of your abilities and the end of your strength. But others ultimately control how much money you'll earn, what awards you'll win.

Work toward writing the best novel you can write. Make that your goal. If the bestseller follows, that's great. If not, if the novel's not published at all, you'll still be a winner, and you'll know whether you have what it takes to be a writer: the will and desire to write another novel, and another, and another, until death do you and your pen part. ;)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
To answer very simply to your questions:

1) Fiction, novels, are written before securing a publisher.

So the answer is yes.

(I know, it sounds risky, writing something without the promise of publication, but most writers are so passionate about writing that they are willing to risk it).

2) Yes you will need to find an agent before a publisher. There are some publishers that accept unsolicited manuscripts, but since your goal is bestseller, you will need a big publishing house, and they, for the most part, require agented submissions.

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Deep in my soul is a novel that needs to be written.
Should I sit down and dare to write these words, despite no promise of monetary recompense?

The word "dare" indicates that you're scared of something. That's OK: to have courage means to act despite fear.

Figure out what that fear is. Get rid of it. "Don't try", as Bukowski said, but really get rid of it.

If you're scared that some people won't like your book then let me put your mind at ease. You're right. Some people will think it sucks. I gave my book to friends and family. Half gave polite smiles, half still talk about why they like it. The funny thing is, I couldn't have guessed worse which ones liked it and which didn't. Strange really.

Writing a book is only a big deal if you decide it is. I think there are bigger deals.

You also seem to have a hang up about money. If your book is really "deep in your soul" then you won't care about the money. The only way to test that theory is to start writing.

KW

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Should I sit down and dare to write these words, despite no promise of monetary recompense?

THAT'S HOW EVERY FIRST-TIME NOVELIST IN THE US DOES IT, EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A CONTRACT WITH THE 'SWEET VALLEY HIGH' SERIES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

So, yeah. If you want to write a novel, you have to do it not knowing whether you can sell it or not.

None of the US bestsellers--from Stephen King to Danielle Steel to John Grisham to Dan Brown to you name it--had a contract in hand for their first novel. Some of them (King, for instance) didn't even SELL their first few novels.

Last edited:

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
The fact is, if you've written a great novel, someone will be willing to represent it... <snipped>

I absolutely agree with this! If it's that good, your publishing home is waiting for you. It may take several tries, either with securing an agent and their sale of your ms, or by going your own route and querying the pubs directly... but it'll happen if it's meant to.

Status
Not open for further replies.