Recommendations for a good grammar book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Any recommendations out there for an all-around, easy at-a-glance book on proper punctuation, grammar and sentence structure? I give beginner a new meaning here. I have absolutley no background in writing but would like to give freelance work a try. If possible, I would like to brush up on my grammar/punctuation skills etc. without taking a course.

I did write a short Christian picture book for fun (sitting in my nightstand for the last 5 years) but I don't consider myself a writer by any means but figure it can't hurt to try. That's what life is all about :eek:)

Any recommendations would be appreciated,

Betty

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Where are my manners?

Welcome to AW! I don't believe you need as much of a brush-up as you may think.

Expanding Ink

and then Steve stabbed a guy
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Unfortunately, I don't have any new info to add here. Strunk & White's Elements of Style is where it's at for me. I do know that some people favor the Associated Press Stylebook as well, though. I'm not really familiar with that one, but maybe you could check them both out and see which one works best for you? Good luck.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Any recommendations out there for an all-around, easy at-a-glance book on proper punctuation, grammar and sentence structure? . . .
Welcome. And let me recommend William Zinsser's On Writing Well (it has been in print for over 30 years now). Part I is the best short course (about 50 pages) I have ever seen on clear, effective writing. I've been recommending that since its first edition. It is now considered a classic and a standard.

If you are going to write professionally, I'd recommend a good style manual for reference (Chicago Manual of Style or the Merriam-Webster manual, say). As for the AP style book -- that is one of the standards, and essential if you will be writing for newspapers or any other publication that follows AP style.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, to help the quality of your writing is to read widely in top-quality books and magazines. And of course read in whatever genres you intend to write.

--Ken

P.S. Browse the writing section of a good, big bookstore (or bookstores) to see what looks good to you. There are several books along the lines you are looking for -- see if one grabs you. But The Elements of Style is on everyone's list.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

The books that have been mentioned are all good--but they are all about style, not grammar, though they do discuss things like punctuation and syntax.

Look for one of the grammar and writing guides written for college comp classes (which, by the way, is also the audience of books like Strunk and White's Elements of Style, or Zinssers, or Tremble's or White't Style).

Diana Hacker sort of cornered the market on undergrad grammar guides, though there are lots of other authors, too. You can likely find a good one at a used book store or the local community college book store.

Here's a list of Diana Hacker's books. Look for things like The Bedford Guide to Writing, or the St. Martin's Writing Guide, all by others, and all quite good. I like Hacker's A Writer's Reference, mostly because it's easy to find exactly what I or student's are looking for.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Elements of Style is terrific, except for the last 40 pages, which I recommend you skip. The advice there is extremely opinionated and only applicable if you want to write in a conventional (yawn, yawn) way.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
If you want grammar plus entertainment, try EATS SHOOTS AND LEAVES. I use some of the grammar comparisons in my freshman English class.

Deleted member 42

I like Eats Shoots and Leaves--but keep in mind that all the punctuation advice is about British/Canadian punctuation.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to those listed above.

Get your hands on a high school senior's Grammar and Composition Textbook.

All the basics are in there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite fond of The St. Martin's Handbook by Lunsford & Connors, which I got for under $5. It seems to be aimed at college-level writers, which is adequate for pretty much everything I write. (I find The Chicago Manual far more exacting and dense than I ever need, although I use it occasionally, since it's in the house.)

I must be the only writer left who's underwhelmed by Strunk & White. I have two editions, and I probably haven't opened either in at least ten years. They are, however, cheap and easy to find.

Maryn, daring to be different

Deleted member 42

I must be the only writer left who's underwhelmed by Strunk & White. I have two editions, and I probably haven't opened either in at least ten years. They are, however, cheap and easy to find.

Maryn, daring to be different

I keep telling people Elements of Style is meant for academic writing, for freshman comp and similar essays . . .

If someone wants a book of that sort, I tend to point them towards Lanham's Revising Prose, and William Zinnser's On Writing Well.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
- Lanham's Revising Prose
- EATS SHOOTS AND LEAVES
think I'll give these two reco's a twirl, myself, and if they're not good you shall be hearing from me!
(just kidding.) :)

swove

Registered
Reaction score
If I may add one more that was recommended to me by Gray Rose of this fine forum The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation by Jane Straus

robertmblevins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.escapevelocitymagazine.com
Welcome!

It's better to use good grammar, but learning how to cut the deadwood from a story is just as important. Editors can sometimes fix grammatical errors, but you can't fix a bad story.

I like 'Hunting Down The Pleonasms', the infamous 'white paper' by Allan Guthrie of Point Blank Press. Thousands of writers have downloaded this one. A lot of them posted it on the wall near their writing area.

You can find it HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.