PA Novels

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
At 20$ a pop, don't you think PA novels are over-priced? To be honest there were some stories that LOOKED like they could be interesting, but the last PA novel I read, seemed to hardly be written by a person who has understanding of proper use of the english language!

Nevertheless, people keep saying that not all PA authors are crap, so don't throw all the books in the trash. However, the books I was interested in giving another look do NOT have any sample pages listed on amazon. This is going to actually prevent me from risking any purchases. Which leaves me to the next point.

#1 Either PA is stupid, and not doing what IT CAN to aid it's authors in getting marketed (I believe Amazon requires a physical book before they are willing to place samples online). PA is probably too CHEAP to do such a thing.

#2 Or PA is just super smart. They realize if someone were to read such horrible writing, that no decent person would EVER purchase their book(s).

I guess the real answere is both?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
the market for PA is NOT the general public, it's the authors themselves.

thus the continuing trend of offering "discounts" to the authors so that they can buy copies and then attempt to resell them - usually at a lower price so that it's easier to push on friends and family.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
At 20$ a pop, don't you think PA novels are over-priced? To be honest there were some stories that LOOKED like they could be interesting, but the last PA novel I read, seemed to hardly be written by a person who has understanding of proper use of the english language!

Nevertheless, people keep saying that not all PA authors are crap, so don't throw all the books in the trash. However, the books I was interested in giving another look do NOT have any sample pages listed on amazon. This is going to actually prevent me from risking any purchases. Which leaves me to the next point.

#1 Either PA is stupid, and not doing what IT CAN to aid it's authors in getting marketed (I believe Amazon requires a physical book before they are willing to place samples online). PA is probably too CHEAP to do such a thing.

#2 Or PA is just super smart. They realize if someone were to read such horrible writing, that no decent person would EVER purchase their book(s).

I guess the real answere is both?

The real answer is, PublishAmerica does everything it can to keep the reading public from getting its hands on their books.

That $20.00 a pop for a PA book. That's for a TRADE PAPERBACK. I have never seen a PA hardbound book. And the price you quoted is cheap compared to some of PA's books. My own PA work, which was only 259 pages long and was about as thick as a Reader's Digest, sold for $21.95 back four years ago. And though it was decently written, it was by far not ready for publication as they produced it.

Anyway, I'm not going to stay on this thread for more than this post, but having been a PA author, at one time, I can say that PA is not there for the reading public, or for its authors. I'm not sure what its reasons are, but those reasons can't be all that good if they're hurting authors.

--Sean

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
My book was printed in both trade paperback and hard cover. PA also had my book available as an ebook. The two other printings, according to PA, were based on sales of the paperback. I, however, never received royalties to amount to whatever sales they were talking about that caused them to put my book in hard cover and ebook form. PA is in business for the money plain and simple. They don't market and make sure that bookstores cannot buy PA books with 5% discounts and 10% restocking fees. The only people PA wants to buy books are the authors themselves.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
EeeeeK!!. PA forbids their own clients from trying to even boost their sales on Amazon?

Good Lord! What is up with that organization!? I can't make any sense of this system.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
EeeeeK!!. PA forbids their own clients from trying to even boost their sales on Amazon?

Good Lord! What is up with that organization!? I can't make any sense of this system.

See the mind control thread. And remember, PA does not want to sell books to the public in general; their business practise is to sell to their own authors. That's where they make their bucks without risk. Kinda disgusting. :(

It's both sad and amazing - amazingly sad? - that so many PAers encourage yet more to swell the PA ranks. Odds are, some PA authors could be good writers if they were willing to try for it. We have some of those here, but one wonders how many give up and walk away, thinking they're no good.

Sad, sad, sad. I need to hit someone. :box: