Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Today I was listening to an old Dragnet episode, and a suspect said that he was a "candy butcher" at a movie theater. This means he was the guy who ran the concession stand. :D

So do we have any candy butchers among us? Or do you know any other weird profession names?

About the closest I can come is that I'm editor, but our department used to be called the Redactory, and the editors were called Redactors. The Redactor sounds like a comic book character, doesn't it? ;)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Okay, I remember the line of joke that may qualify. There was a mean fellow whose job it was to sit on the assembly line at the pickle factory, inspecting the product. If a jar passed him containing one too many baby cukes (meaning the lid wouldn't close right), it was his job to pull it out.

So his job title was cotton-pickin' gherkin-jerker...:tongue

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I remember seeing in the credits of Ghostbusters II (yeah - I know), that someone was the "bathtub wrangler". I always wondered where they found a bathtub that needed wrangling and how do you wrangle a bathtub anyway?
I love it when they bury jokes in the credits. :) For example, they'll list the Best Boy, then the Second Best Boy. They'll list the Grip, and they'll they'll list the Kung Fu Grip. They'll list the Assistant to the Producer, and then they'll list the Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant Producer. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I know a couple of interesting ones now not used. They come from the middle ages when a peasant would only have a second name to distinguish him from a person with the same first-given-name. One was Cowan. He was a maker of dry stone walls. The second was Gillespie, who was a servant of a bishop.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I love it when they bury jokes in the credits. :) For example, they'll list the Best Boy, then the Second Best Boy. They'll list the Grip, and they'll they'll list the Kung Fu Grip. They'll list the Assistant to the Producer, and then they'll list the Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant Producer. :)

The best ones are definitely at the end of almost any Zucker brothers movie - In one of them, they list about 10 different grips, and then the next credit is "What the hell is a grip?" followed by a credit giving the explanation of what a grip does.

Funny stuff right there. :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A Sagger Maker's Bottom Knocker

No this is for real. It was a job description in the pottery business in the 18/19th century

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
On a personal note, my mother was an OCLC Girl.

The library at California State College at San Bernardino (now a state university) was the first library in the entire Golden State to hook up to the Ohio Computer Library Center (which became the Online Computer Library Center). Mom is a competent typist but that strange contraption resembling a keyboard hooked to a TV set with its clattering Teletype printer scared her to death as she watched it being installed.

After the technicians finished the installation and left, the head librarian gathered the cataloging staff around this alien entity and described its function while Mom tried to go unnoticed in the back row. He turned, pointed straight at Mom and said "And, YOU, Frances, are going to be the very first OCLC Girl in California!"

I guess the experience left a lasting mark. While many folks her age eagerly joined the Cyber-revolution, to this day, Mom and Dad don't own a personal computer.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Nope. I was a hostess. Get it? Hostess Twinkies?

I was not the genius who made that up. It didn't bother me that much but I felt bad for the few male hosts. I switched to being a server after a year and got to tease the next round of hosts.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The deckhand(s) on charter boats who bait the hooks for clients are often referred to as...what?

Why they're master baiters, of course.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Turkey Jerker. They extract the seed of life from male turkeys. And yes, the job is just like it sounds. Back when I worked in an office, a co-worker of mine talked about a turkey farm in Texas where she grew up, and being a turkey jerker paid very well. When the office work became dull, we discussed throwing away our low-paying dull jobs and pursue the exciting life on the farm. ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Turkey Jerker. They extract the seed of life from male turkeys...
That's really something. I didn't realize such a job existed. The things we learn on AW can't be taught anywhere else.

Now I expect someone to come along and say, "That's nothing. I used to work with bulls, and let me tell you, we called it 'Bull Hosing' for a reason!"

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nope. I was a hostess. Get it? Hostess Twinkies?
:ROFL:
At my college, the students who served the sit-down meals (I think we had two a week) were called Eta Betas. :rolleyes:

I was not the genius who made that up. It didn't bother me that much but I felt bad for the few male hosts. I switched to being a server after a year and got to tease the next round of hosts.
That's always one of the best benefits. And it beats selling pool passes in a school that has no pool. ;)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
So do we have any candy butchers among us?

Yes, ME!!!

Actually, the name of the children's book currently under submission at nine publishers (and rejected by two others) is The Candy Butcher's Secret. In this case, the "candy butcher" is a ten year old boy who works on a Union Pacific train in 1895 selling candy and newspapers to the passengers.

Hopefully it gets published. It's a great story, IMNSHO.

allen

Status
Not open for further replies.