PDA

View Full Version : anyone with knowledge of lifestyle in 18th century France?

angeliz2k
03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm looking for anyone with detailed knowledge of the lifestyle of pre-revolutionary france. I have done some research but am looking for really good, detailed knowledge. Things such as: how does one play the card game pharoah? What was the usual general alyout of a house--a huge netrance hall, were the "salons" upstairs, etc? I would also love information about Paris at this time.

Two particularly burning questions if anyone knows the answer:

What was the Palais Royal like? A courtyard with open walkways and balconies that opened onto it? A completely enclosed area? how would shops have been arranged--obviously they didn't have huge sheet-glass windowfronts.

So, if there's anyone who can help with even a little of this, I would be enternally grateful!

Sarpedon
03-04-2008, 02:36 AM
hee hee, sorry to say, but that era comprises one of the big gaps in my architecture history knowledge.

It occurs to me that the whole garden area could be closed off at night, with gates at the access points; making elaborate security for the shops unnecessary--kind of like a shopping mall. Besides that, wooden shutters?

Architecturally, I would imagine that the palais would be the same then as it is now, that is to say the balconies and such wouldn't have been altered.

angeliz2k
03-04-2008, 03:29 AM
hee hee, sorry to say, but that era comprises one of the big gaps in my architecture history knowledge.

It occurs to me that the whole garden area could be closed off at night, with gates at the access points; making elaborate security for the shops unnecessary--kind of like a shopping mall. Besides that, wooden shutters?

Architecturally, I would imagine that the palais would be the same then as it is now, that is to say the balconies and such wouldn't have been altered.

WELL, I have to say I'm totally shocke and offended that you don't know everything! :D How dare you!!

You actually made some helpful comments. Thanks!