PDA

View Full Version : What does this emoticon mean to you? Be clever.

rhymegirl
03-24-2005, 04:14 AM
:horse:

Forget the clever part. Just what does it mean?

firehorse
03-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Is this a projective test? It makes me sad, because I don't like seeing horses - even cartoon ones - bullied.

No idea what it really means, but it looks like the horse is boxed in; he's being whipped to move forward, but he can't, because there's a strange smiling yellow blob in front of him. So maybe "can't win for losing"

I like this one better: http://www.coolsmilies.net/animals/horse.gif I always prefer when animals get the better of people. If, um, smilies are people, which is a whole other thread.

-Sarah, who perhaps should lay off the funny-tasting brownies.

Rob-rite
03-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Looks to me as though it represents "Flogging a Dead-Horse."

I could be wrong.

rhymegirl
03-24-2005, 05:18 AM
I think that's what it means, too.

No, I'm not into animal cruelty, I just wondered what it meant. I've noticed that no one seems to use it, so what's the point? Maybe we should have a different horsie.

sgtsdaughter
03-24-2005, 05:21 AM
yea, i'm in with the flogging a dead horse too. and i did notice that icon and thought that my eyes were just tired the first time . . .

SRHowen
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
yup---beating a dead horse, meaning rehashing a topic or idea that's long past it's best by date.

rich
03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Reminds me of an old joke: A cop sufferred a stroke soon after he discovered a dead horse on Kosciusko Street in Brooklyn. While he was in the emergency room the doctor asked what happened.

"When I went to make out my report," said the cop, "I didn't know how to spell "Kosciusko."

And that caused you to have a stroke?"

"No, I got the stroke trying to drag the horse to Elm Street."

maestrowork
03-24-2005, 06:30 PM
1. Dances with Dead Horse

2. "The Rodeo is over, guys."

3. Voted "Most Disgusting" by PETA in 2003, 2004 and 2005

4. If you were a horse, this is what I'd do to you

jdkiggins
03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
yup---beating a dead horse, meaning rehashing a topic or idea that's long past it's best by date.

That would be me. :Headbang: I'm a little slower at getting to all these threads. I'd see an interesting topic, read the first page and then post, so I had been posting just as they were dying. I think I've caught up recently. :Hammer:

mommie4a
03-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Beating a dead horse, although it's a raggedy thing already, poor horsey.

William Haskins
03-25-2005, 01:04 AM
it's a visual depiction of a screenwriter, surrounded by hollywood execs, pitching his script.

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 01:05 AM
:ROFL:

Alphabeter
03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
I thought it was the Three PA Stooges beating on HB to keep the con going.

brokenfingers
03-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Hmmmmm...

Reminds me of being home for the holidays.

I'm the bad son.....

Alphabeter
03-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Oooh, good one BF!

How about its widowed aunts and other assorted female relatives asking the (fairly) young single gal when she's going to get married. :poke:

I should tell them I'm having an open marriage with Oprah and Jackie Chan-the bigoted racist homophobic brats. But I digress.

However, I'm sure other single persons will understand the plight.

"Are you married yet? Are you engaged? Are you dating anyone special? Are you dating anyone? Why aren't you dating anyone? I know someone you can date. You really should be married at your age." :Soapbox:

sgtsdaughter
03-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Oooh, good one BF!

How about its widowed aunts and other assorted female relatives asking the (fairly) young single gal when she's going to get married. :poke:

I should tell them I'm having an open marriage with Oprah and Jackie Chan-the bigoted racist homophobic brats. But I digress.

"Are you married yet? Are you engaged? Are you dating anyone special? Are you dating anyone? Why aren't you dating anyone? I know someone you can date. You really should be married at your age." :Soapbox:
this i can trump . . . you can't get married if you don't date. that's what the suspicious family members tell me. yeah, like i'm just supposed to date every troll, tom, dick, and harry that i see along the way to work? humph!:crazy:

MacAllister
03-27-2005, 11:14 AM

"Are you married yet? Are you engaged? Are you dating anyone special? Are you dating anyone? Why aren't you dating anyone? I know someone you can date. You really should be married at your age."

oh...gawd...yes...

On occasion, even my mother--god love her, and so do I--can't resist trying to fix me up.

Mark Anderson
03-27-2005, 08:47 PM
With all the happy faces around him I never thought it was a dead horse. I just thought it was a crazy horse, with imaginary moons swirling around him ala those cartoons where someone gets bonked on the head.

If it was a dead horse it should have X's for eyes. I will will now begin a campaign to have this icon renamed to Crazy Moon-haunted Horse.

Or I could have another Krispy Kreme Blueberry Doughnut Hole...mmmm doughnuts...

Paint
03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
It's a S&M Convention. One is dressed up as a horse. Tee-Hee.

paprikapink
03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
I thought it was for when you said something stupid and everyone is pointing it out to you at once.

My every post is focused on not necessitating that smiley. :scared:

-pkpk

p.s. "necessitating?" what's up with that? :faint:

robeiae
03-30-2005, 01:50 AM
p.s. "necessitating?" what's up with that? :faint:

Clearly, the horse is necessitating some recessitating...

:horse:

Actually, you are all quite wrong with regards to this emoticon. It is intendend to reflect the human self-identity, or Da Sein, being simultaneously beset from all sides by the Id, Ego, and Superego. From this conflict of urges and drives, the apparent personality if the individual is revealed. Unfortunately, the personality of the typical individual is revealed to be no more interesting than a dead horse.

Rob

Nivvie
03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
*Puts on annoying know-it-all hat*

I didn't think of flogging a dead horse, as the flogging in the saying about the horse means selling.

It made me think of of vultures picking over a fallen carcass.
Hmm...cheery.

bjewel77
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
It might be whipping a dead horse, but my first thoughts were "stubborn as a mule."

Don't like the image of the smiley with the whip on the poor ole thing.

Bjewel77

~Faery~
04-06-2005, 06:13 AM
people beating up a poor defensless animal:faint:

Rob-rite
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Mmm... The more you stare at this image, the more evil it becomes.

The one on the left actually bites the horses nose; the middle one head-butts it before uttering the words: "You are a w*nker" -- and all the while, the right guy continues to to flog it relentlessly with a whip.

But.. the most disturbing thing is, they all momentarily stop ... and grin insanely ... before continuing the assault.

This ain't fogging a dead horse; it's brutal torture of a (increasingly) wounded horse by a bunch of sadistic, evil creatures, masquerading as cute little smileys.

Well it's got to stop. Do you agree?

wurdwise
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Makes me not want to know the person who thought it up.

Wendy J
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
It could represent how life just chews you up and spits you out, and comes back for more.