• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Ellipsis...is there an alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told only to use ellipses for missing words. I like to use them differently...you know, when there's a pause in the sentence. The pause is longer than a comma, semi-colon or colon, but it does not warrant a full stop. What else can I use? Or do I just ignore what I'm told is traditionally correct...just take no notice?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yes, an ellipsis can be used for... you know, a missing word. But it can also be used as you describe... to indicate pause for thought... or trailing off at the end of a sentence (which gets an extra period)....

-Derek

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Good to know; always wondered about that. :)
But how about if the ellipsis comes at the end of the story?
Is it okay to omit the period, then, to give an added sense of the action continuing on?
(I just used this in a story that ends with the characters about to get romantic, leaving it up to the readers to fill in what happens next.)

and then they went into the bedroom...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
AP Stylebook says the ellipsis should be used to indicate the deletion of one or more words in condensing quotes, texts and documents. AP adds that the dash should be used for pauses or abrupt changes in thought. (P. 330 and 331)

I've used the ellipsis for both and have seen other style guides that say it's fine. However, I like AP. ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AP Stylebook says the ellipsis should be used to indicate the deletion of one or more words in condensing quotes, texts and documents. AP adds that the dash should be used for pauses or abrupt changes in thought. (P. 330 and 331)

I've used the ellipsis for both and have seen other style guides that say it's fine. However, I like AP. ;)
The thing to keep in mind is that AP (love it as I do) was intended for Associated Press newswriters. Generally, newswriters aren't expected to put in the pauses and such of the people they are quoting. (Although perhaps this is more accepted now that newswriting has gone all soft, fluffy and blatantly non-objective - IMHO.)

Books on fiction writing caution against the overuse of ellipsis to indicated pauses in speech, mainly because it gets cloying after a while to read the dialogue of frequently hesitant speakers. Breaking up the speech with bits of action that show hesitation rather than ... tell it is often a good alternative.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It needs four because it's the end of the sentence regardless of how much is omitted in the trailing off, although only the editor is going to be the least bit concerned as to how many dots finish off a story.

[By the way, Mumut, re the caption, ellipsis is the singular of ellipses.]

Good to know; always wondered about that. :)
But how about if the ellipsis comes at the end of the story?
Is it okay to omit the period, then, to give an added sense of the action continuing on?
(I just used this in a story that ends with the characters about to get romantic, leaving it up to the readers to fill in what happens next.)

and then they went into the bedroom...

Last edited:

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Good question. I'm glad this thread was started because I have a character I'm struggling with. He just learned he can talk, so of course he talks slow. I try to limit the ... as much as I can and still show his hesitation when trying new words. I use a dash every once in a while, but then again, I am still trying not to over do it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think talking slow is the best reason for using an ellipsis. Simply somehow let me know he thinks about what he's going to say before he says it and then delivers it deliberately or whatever. Shorter sentences. I'll follow.

The ellipsis use in this case may, as you suspect, irritate if used too much, or wrongly indicate an interpretation other than simply talking slowly.

Good question. I'm glad this thread was started because I have a character I'm struggling with. He just learned he can talk, so of course he talks slow. I try to limit the ... as much as I can and still show his hesitation when trying new words. I use a dash every once in a while, but then again, I am still trying not to over do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.