PDA

View Full Version : Man, I LOVE Oklahoma Weather!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 03:24 AM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/Map.jpg

Here's the latest Watch/Warning map for the current weather situation in the fair state of Oklahoma! (Don't like our weather? Wait a minute! It'll change!) County conditions are as follows:

The white boxes are warnings for a 'Snow/Blowing Snow' storm.
The dark green boxes are for our current Tornado Watch. ('Til 9PM, Okie time.)
The blue boxes are counties in the Severe Thunder Storm Watch.
The light green boxes are for the Flash Flood and Winter Storm Watch.
The light gray boxes are for the Blowing Snow Advisory/Flash Flood Watch.
The red boxes are active, identified Tornado Warnings.

One lonely little county - the dark gray in the far south east corner (McCurtain County) - is the only one enjoying no warnings at all for this fine March day.

Yaaaaaaaahooo!

writerterri
03-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Warm and sunny here. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Where's that razzberry smiley when you need him?

Mumut
03-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I thought it was a bad day here; gusty winds, a chance of a shower and a very cool 24 degree celcius. But then it is the start of autumn and we can expect this.

About six months ago I emailed the President of the USA and suggested he should give financial assistance to anyone designing cost-effective underground housing in tornado-stricken areas. We have underground communities in the opal mining areas of Australia but that is to avoid the intense heat. It works, though. I just cant imagine living in tornado country and just rebuilding...again...and again! You've certainly got gut out there.

Is your state the origin of a well-known phrase? When the twister has passed and the house is still standing you say, 'we're Okie dokie!'

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 04:01 AM
I believe it all goes back to the 'okay' term for 'all right' - and folks still argue over the origins of that word. ;) Don't think it's connected to Oklahoma, particularly.

As for underground houses... there are a few. We mainly go in for the underground shelters, cellars, safe rooms, though.

As for rebuilding again and again... we're a stubborn lot! We've lived through hundreds of tornadoes, dust bowls, droughts, floods, depressions, recessions, you name it. It's genetic now.

Cassiopeia
03-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Beautifully sunny skies here along the Wasatch front. Yesterday's rain and snow storm cleared out the bad inversion layer and I can see from the south end of the Salt Lake Vally to Antelope Island which is out on the Great Salt Lake. :D

*rubs it in a bit for OFG, who will love me in spite of it*

erm..right? ;)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Right... but I will be waiting for an opportunity to rub your nose in your weather! And it'll happen... you know it will! :D

maestrowork
03-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Wish you were here...
http://www.vacation-travel-center.com/Vacation-Travel/hawaii_vacation.jpg

Cassiopeia
03-03-2008, 04:55 AM
*snickers at Ray*

Oh you are in trooouble!

Chumplet
03-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Uh... snow, snow and more snow. Then copious rain, and more snow. Crispy, squeaky styrofoam snow. But my house is still standing.

Hang in there, Ol' Girl. Maybe you should hang out with Nerds for a while! :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Don't think I haven't thought of making a run for the northeast at times like these...

The line of rotating severe thunderstorms is knocking on the west side of my little suburb... the lightening is spectacular! Sustained straight-line winds are supposedly being clocked in the upper sixties, mid-seventy mph.

Ahhh, silvan zephyrs!

Susie
03-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Warm and sunny here, too. Hope you don't get any tornadoes!

Cassiopeia
03-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Don't think I haven't thought of making a run for the northeast at times like these...

The line of rotating severe thunderstorms is knocking on the west side of my little suburb... the lightening is spectacular! Sustained straight-line winds are supposedly being clocked in the upper sixties, mid-seventy mph.

Ahhh, silvan zephyrs!You betta be okay, you hear me, girl? :Hug2:Cos what would we do without you? I'm thinking of you and hoping it settles down.

Love ya to bits and pieces. :)

Don Allen
03-03-2008, 05:45 AM
...and when whatever it is ends up doing to you in okie somehow manages to take a northern path right thru Chi town, ugh.... can't wait...

Soccer Mom
03-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Feeling your pain here in north central Texas. :(

Mystery1
03-03-2008, 06:10 AM
The storms are supposed to move into my area (Missouri) later tonight.

:shudders:

-----------------
Sharon
http://www.saaustin.net

Cassiopeia
03-03-2008, 06:19 AM
In spite of the impending doom they always forecast for us concerning the inevitable earthquake, there is nothing more terrifying, in my experience than waiting for a tornado to strike.

I grew up in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I know just what it's like to watch. I'll be thinking of all of you.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Hot DAMN!

Just got back in from the safe room. Moving three cats and Ol' Boy ain't easy! (But once he gets moving, he moves fast!) Sirens went off in my Village and just south in Nichols Hills - the circulation finally tightened up and hit south, turned to the right (east) and is headed for Midwest City/Del City. Rain is torrential! Wind isn't as bad as they predicted, though.

Well! Now I'm ready for the snow!

Soccer Mom... got my fingers crossed for you! Don! I think it'll turn to snow/ice before it gets to you. Mystery1... I've got my fingers crossed for you, too. Y'all stay safe tonight, tomorrow, and always.

Mystery1
03-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks Ol' Girl and Cassiopeia. :)

S.

skelly
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Hot DAMN!

Just got back in from the safe room. Moving three cats and Ol' Boy ain't easy! (But once he gets moving, he moves fast!) Sirens went off in my Village and just south in Nichols Hills - the circulation finally tightened up and hit south, turned to the right (east) and is headed for Midwest City/Del City. Rain is torrential! Wind isn't as bad as they predicted, though.

Well! Now I'm ready for the snow!

Soccer Mom... got my fingers crossed for you! Don! I think it'll turn to snow/ice before it gets to you. Mystery1... I've got my fingers crossed for you, too. Y'all stay safe tonight, tomorrow, and always.
That was pretty annoying, actually. They were blowing sirens all over the city and beyond, in every direction, when in fact there was only a potential tornado in one specific area, moving east. If they keep that up, people will stop heeding the warnings and be at greater risk.

Anyway, glad you made it through the storm in good shape OFG. I guess we get to start the countdown a little early this year...only 90 days until June. :)

HeronW
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
You're out of earthquakes, flash floods, mudslides, tsunamis, sink holes, quicksand, and simoons.

Good. Keep safe!

Stew21
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Stay safe, OFG!

We had beautiful weather all weekend (got up to 78 yesterday), woke up in the night to the thunderstorms which the weather men have promised will be turning to snow and sleet by the afternoon.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
That was pretty annoying, actually. They were blowing sirens all over the city and beyond, in every direction, when in fact there was only a potential tornado in one specific area, moving east. If they keep that up, people will stop heeding the warnings and be at greater risk.

Anyway, glad you made it through the storm in good shape OFG. I guess we get to start the countdown a little early this year...only 90 days until June. :)

Is there a new law that says they have to blow those bloody things all over the county if they have to blow them in any part of the county?!

I'm surprised folks haven't already stopped listening to them... all they need is a missive from the Norman storm center weather prophets and all three of them (Saint Mike, Saint Gary, and Saint Rick) set up housekeeping in their respective storm centers for the duration. And if a cloud is spotted all the way out in the panhandle, we're in for a long night of weather helecopters, storm chasers, and local folk with cell cams sending in their reports.

I really appreciate the outstanding job they do keeping us safe... but cheeeezus! They could cut out some of the histrionics. Science has given us wonderful equipment that can give us unprecidented lead time (in 99.9% of the cases) in an emergency, but I don't need to know about gustnadoes in Cimmaron County three hundred miles away. To keep from giving myself a stroke over their jumping up and down, I gave up and got a little weather education and some online radar so I can weigh what they're doing for ratings against what common sense tells me in real time.

Drought is a terrible thing - but right about this time of year, it looks pretty good to me.

nerds
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of you last night, OFG, and of shakeysix, everyone out there. It'll be coming into the area of TN I was in this afternoon/evening.

I look out my Massachusetts window at bright sun on a foot's worth of frozen snow, it's 22 degrees out, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Every day I'm grateful beyond words.

May all be safe through this storm system.

:e2grouphu

Komnena
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I did some cleaning in the backyard cellar Saturday. It still needs tons of work but it'll pass now in an emergency. I still need supplies, flooring, etc down there. There are still far too many spiderwebs down there but after listening to the F0 that went through Louisville I'm no longer that bothered by the spiders.

skelly
03-03-2008, 08:08 PM
all they need is a missive from the Norman storm center weather prophets and all three of them (Saint Mike, Saint Gary, and Saint Rick) set up housekeeping in their respective storm centers for the duration.

"Talk to me, Val!" :D

I know it's better to be safe than sorry, and of course we'd rather err on the side of caution, but you are right. By the time the stuff actually moves into your area you're already running a BP reading of about 200/199. The better NWS alert radios have a pretty nifty SAME (specific area message encoding) thing that you can program so that you only get alerts from your own county, and perhaps your adjacent neighbors west and south. I have it, but every time I still find myself standing in front of the t.v. for hours on end, biting my finger nails down to my elbow and wondering if we should have headed up to the hospital an hour earlier.

Ah, well.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Val Caster! He's the only one with any modicum of restraint. I'll never forget the night Gary England was doing his usual cancan dance during one of the ones that came knocking on my roof back in '98. Ol' Boy and I were huddled in the floor of the bathroom (this was pre-safe room) with two schnauzers and lots of pillows. We heard that tell-tale sound of a freight train and Gary's got a bloody helicopter out in it!

The pilot was reporting the flashes from transformers getting hit. "It's on the ground! It's on the ground!" he was screaming.

"Where is it?" Gary demanded.

"North of Britton Road, headed east!"

"We've got one on the ground! It's on the ground headed for the station! Get everyone into the basement! It's headed straight for us!"

Yeah, Gary. Thanks. But where is it NOW!?

We were 'north of Britton Road' but we didn't know if it was west of us, over us, or already past us and Gary couldn't bother to get any specifics 'cause it was headed straight for HIM.

But the very BEST story was from the May 3, 1999, debacle. One of the junior weathermen was really caught up in the seriousness of the situation - so much so that he forgot himself. They have to walk such a fine line... on the one hand, they've got to keep calm so they don't spread panic. On the other, they've got to communicate the severity of the storm in such a way that people take them seriously. This guy got so excited (and rightfully so in this instance) that he looked dead at the camera and said, firmly, "PEOPLE! LISTEN TO ME! DO NOT FART WITH THIS STORM!"

It was the only funny part of the entire day.

astonwest
03-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Is there a new law that says they have to blow those bloody things all over the county if they have to blow them in any part of the county?!Up here, they finally implemented a new policy of more specific warnings. Used to be the whole county would set off sirens when any part of the county was affected. Now, it's split into two halves (which still isn't enough)...

I'm surprised folks haven't already stopped listening to them... all they need is a missive from the Norman storm center weather prophets and all three of them (Saint Mike, Saint Gary, and Saint Rick) set up housekeeping in their respective storm centers for the duration.We generally keep it on the weather reports, but always keep an eye on the radar. It's bad when you know what to look for in those things before they even come on and tell you. Even when the warning comes on, we always keep an eye on the radar, simply for the fact it could be around 40-50 miles away.

Komnena
03-04-2008, 06:34 AM
My TV is on the Weather Channel tonight.

Chumplet
03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
I saw storm chaser footage of a tornado touch-down today in NE Oklahoma. Apparently, nobody was injured in that one.

Boy... what a place to live in. I have recurring dreams of very realistic tornadoes (probably because I watch those documentaries with an unnatural fascination) but we have rare instances here. The last deadly tornado was twenty miles northeast of here, about twenty years ago.

nerds
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Looks like the 2/5/08 storms finally rattled some TN people enough to look into shelters - this article is running in The Tennessean online today -

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/NEWS01/803040357&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

On the Weather Channel yesterday various newscasters stumbled now and then over which towns and counties were under immediate tornado threat - "Oh, excuse me, no, sorry, that's such-and-such, take cover immediately if you're there." Not good when the thing is coming up your street and they've just told you it's next town over. If ever there's a time to be meticulous in your information it's then.

The webpage for the Jackson, TN abc news affiliate has, incredibly, a graphic of a tornado who is named . . . Timmy the Twister. Now my son and I refer to all of them as Timmys, Timmy and his friends, his relatives; since we can't bring ourselves to say the word tornado anymore without our stomachs turning inside out.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-04-2008, 04:40 PM
There was a landoffice business in all kinds of shelters after the May 3, 1999, blitz. And folks are still twitchy around here when any kind of siren goes off. Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome is a very real thing. Ol' Boy didn't wait long after that night to get me that safe room... I've never been so terrified in my life.

skelly
03-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I suppose this will work fine for our official "spring severe weather updates" thread.

My WX radio says that Sunday or Monday we'll get the first chance for "significant" severe weather this season. I hate the word "significant" in that context. Kind of sinister. More info as it becomes available. In the meantime, OFG, hatten down those batches.

:D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Batches are hattened... but I'm seeing it more north-central/northeast on the NOAA (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/) site.

Jean Marie
03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Experimental Enhanced Resolution Thunderstorm Outlooks

I like that part...experimental, huh? Does that mean they're gonna play w/ the thunderstorms, before the let 'em loose :ROFL:

Have fun hattening the batches!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, we keep those batches hattened all the time. Safer and saves a lot of time in the long run around here.

bluntforcetrauma
03-30-2008, 05:17 AM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/Map.jpg

Here's the latest Watch/Warning map for the current weather situation in the fair state of Oklahoma! (Don't like our weather? Wait a minute! It'll change!) County conditions are as follows:

The white boxes are warnings for a 'Snow/Blowing Snow' storm.
The dark green boxes are for our current Tornado Watch. ('Til 9PM, Okie time.)
The blue boxes are counties in the Severe Thunder Storm Watch.
The light green boxes are for the Flash Flood and Winter Storm Watch.
The light gray boxes are for the Blowing Snow Advisory/Flash Flood Watch.
The red boxes are active, identified Tornado Warnings.

One lonely little county - the dark gray in the far south east corner (McCurtain County) - is the only one enjoying no warnings at all for this fine March day.

Yaaaaaaaahooo!

The minute we get any nice weather here, we have to get ready to run for the hills. The stress is incredible. Feb and Jan have already both logged more than 500 tornadoes combined in the US. The average is maybe 25.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I know what you mean, BFT. I can never fully enjoy a nice spring day around here 'cause I know, as it gets closer to 75 degrees, if there's any moisture, there'll be dry line set up west of us and we'll spend the night jarred awake every half hour or so by the weather warning radio. Makes me hate spring and love drought.

Jean Marie
03-30-2008, 05:22 AM
It's a very pretty map.

Aren't those Italian colors?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Kinda almost Irish, too...

Jean Marie
03-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Ah, yes...Land O' the Irish. I can see the Eyes A' Smilin'.

bluntforcetrauma
03-30-2008, 05:28 AM
I know what you mean, BFT. I can never fully enjoy a nice spring day around here 'cause I know, as it gets closer to 75 degrees, if there's any moisture, there'll be dry line set up west of us and we'll spend the night jarred awake every half hour or so by the weather warning radio. Makes me hate spring and love drought.

We had a tornado in Feb at 51 degrees F! The thing skipped right over us and touched back down on the other side of town where the farm fields lie.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-30-2008, 05:32 AM
The weather just gets weirder and weirder. The bullseye used to be right around us and now it seems to have moved east and north a bit - and earlier, too. I hope it ends early as well... as if it ever ends. We joke around here that tornado season starts April 1 and ends right around March 30th or so the next year.

Kerr
03-30-2008, 08:08 AM
We were chinking a log house a couple of years back when a black cloud came in fast over a high tree line about a mile off. I told him to finish his line and get off the ladder so we could move everything under the eight foot eave in front and keep working. By the time we got it all moved we saw how fast it was coming. There were thirteen separate tornadoes but all you could see was that the world had turned black. We grabbed the bucket of chinking and ran for the back. The rain blew so hard past the side of the house it wrapped around the corner and came sideways. When we were able, we headed home. It took two hours to drive several miles. Every road had downed trees across it. We returned the next day to finish chinking the side, but had to start over. It blew it all right out of the cracks.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Wild night here again in Oklahoma! As usual, I'm up and watching... Ol' Boy's sleeping peacefully with the cats.

Please, let me come back as a big, heavy rock next time around... one in, oh, Sweden. Do they have tornadoes in Sweden?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
They sure fooled me last night... I gave up and went to bed once the rotations had passed to our south. Then, about 2am, all hell broke loose. New storms had formed between midnight and 1am and proceeded to hit just a couple miles north of us. By the time the weather radio went off, it was just by us and heading up the road to my sis - dead center of the storm's target. I was on the phone with her until a huge transmission power pole was torn down and killed both her power and her phone. Shifted to the cell phone and called her... and called her... and called her. I was scared half to death they'd taken a direct hit - the weathermen were all hollering about the two cross streets right next to her house.

I finally got her - she couldn't find her cell phone! She's something of a ludite. - and they were in the closet. I talked to her 'til I could assure her the danger was past. We're waiting now for sun up to see how much damage was done. Preliminary reports show lots of roof damage and blown out windows and garage doors.

YEEEHAW!

nerds
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
What is the sound for one's stomach turning itself entirely inside out and then traveling up into your throat? Bleargh?

Being away from it isn't helping me when I read this thread. Because now I know what it is. There's no experiential separation now.

I hope you're all okay, hope your communities are okay, was thinking of you last night, damnation.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-31-2008, 06:54 PM
We're okay, Nerds... lots of damage but no injuries that I've heard of yet. Had a flurry of claims calls here in the office this morning, but not as many as I expected. We were very lucky - so far.

skelly
04-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Got a fur bit to go, though. I won't relax until June 1. Or sleep, apparently. Go to bed, get woke up. Things seem to be calming down. Go back to bed. Wake the hell back up....grrrrr!

Had to watch Rick last night. Gary just annoys the snot out of me these days...not sure why. David Payne was too excitable. Rick is calm and soothing. I think if a tornado was aimed right at him he'd go "Oh, really? I'm not seeing it here on Advantage SuperDupeler Amazodar. Strange."

Anyway, it was a weird system. Lot's of multiple circulations. If the storms hadn't merged and started cutting off each other's inflow it probably would have spun up a buttload of nastiness. Anyway, see you back here Wednesday/Thursday :D

p.s. that "big grin" is forced. Very forced.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I gave up on ol' Gary a few years ago - '98, to be exact.

He got so excited he couldn't tell me WHERE the tornado was on the ground... kinda important, eh?

I listen to Rick Mitchell, too. And for the exact same reasons.

johnnysannie
04-01-2008, 02:14 AM
My little corner of Missouri is just a few miles - less than ten - from Oklahoma and we had wild spring weather today.

The convenience store two blocks from my house was destroyed this afternoon and just a couple blocks away, several homes were a total loss, a truck flipped over, etc.

When I was thirteen my family lost everything in a tornado so I was a little bit nervous.

For now, the severe weather is over....but it's spring. We'll have the threat of severe weather ongoing every few days for some time.

bluntforcetrauma
04-01-2008, 02:20 AM
I was just reading the storm reports about it. glad you're safe.

nerds
04-01-2008, 02:29 AM
What bft said.

While checking this thread always just about gives me a stroke, it does provide a chance to keep an eye on all of you out there, and that's a good thing.

:Hug2:

johnnysannie
04-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts.

I'm just really, really glad I have a basement now.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Safe room... second-best gift Ol' Boy ever gave me!

Serenity
04-01-2008, 03:28 AM
I talked to my mom earlier this morning. She was in Tulsa for the National Agility Championships with her dog. She said that she and her friends left this morning being chased by really severe weather. I told her it was supposed to go the other way around!

aliajohnson
04-01-2008, 03:47 AM
My little corner of Missouri is just a few miles - less than ten - from Oklahoma and we had wild spring weather today.

The convenience store two blocks from my house was destroyed this afternoon and just a couple blocks away, several homes were a total loss, a truck flipped over, etc.

When I was thirteen my family lost everything in a tornado so I was a little bit nervous.

For now, the severe weather is over....but it's spring. We'll have the threat of severe weather ongoing every few days for some time.

Glad you're okay! I'm in your area and those definitely were some nasty storms. Apparently, there's more to come. Stay safe.

bluntforcetrauma
04-01-2008, 04:03 AM
Take care. It'll be coming my way after midnight.

StephanieFox
04-01-2008, 04:22 AM
We've got a snow storm nine inches of wet, heavy snow. We usually get a couple of these in April. The final frost day is May 15th.

aliajohnson
04-01-2008, 04:33 AM
We've got a snow storm nine inches of wet, heavy snow. We usually get a couple of these in April. The final frost day is May 15th.

Ah, Minnesota's endless snows of March.

I don't miss them--not even a little bit. But they'll be over soon and then you'll have all those glorious spring days filled with. . .mud. :D I suppose that's not much of a problem in the cities, though.

ScarlettLeopard
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
these days I mostly get the radar online and make my own predictions :P

astonwest
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
these days I mostly get the radar online and make my own predictions :P

Which is fine until the power goes out... :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Battery back up, baby! I can hang on for about half an hour. Then there's the generator! :)

skelly
04-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Looks like tonight's festivities are moving south and east. Which is fine by me.

God bless those south east folks, of course.

You know what I'm sayin. :D

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 01:35 AM
I've been keeping an eye on the weather your way Ol' Fashion. Here's hoping for the best.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Lucky so far... I don't know why they think it's going to be OKC and northwest, though. Everything is south and east... I hate wishing it on anyone else, but I sure don't want it here! :)

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Yep, there's a tight line in the lower corner of the state. OKC isn't even in the equation at the moment. Must be Oral Roberts' prayer tower that's protecting it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Naw... it's my Spell o' Repelling. :)

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Yep, there's a tight line in the lower corner of the state. OKC isn't even in the equation at the moment. Must be Oral Roberts' prayer tower that's protecting it.

Oops! Major booboo! The ORU Protective Tower is in fact located in Tulsa. Watch out OKC, you're in deep sh*&! You shoulda had your own tower.

Note the sapphire skies enjoyed year round by Tulsa residents. Tell ya what, if the skies are threatening wherever you are, just put your hands on the screen as a point of contact. Then please reach into your wallet...deeper...deeper. That's it. Notice the wheelchair access ramps in the foreground? Not a chair in sight. Yep, that's right, ol' Oral cured them all...for a small fee.
http://blogs.salon.com/0002296/images/prayer%20tower%202%2030%20crop.JPG

nerds
04-04-2008, 03:27 AM
I :heart: bft.

Be safe and well, all who are out there in stormland tonight and tomorrow.

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 03:30 AM
I :heart: bft.

I love me too. Your engagement ring is on layaway.

Komnena
04-04-2008, 03:33 AM
I hope everybody is safe tonight.

skelly
04-04-2008, 04:17 AM
I think it will be okay tonight...for all involved. I have to think if it was gonna get nasty it woulda by now. In another couple hours the threat switches over to a large hail and strong, straight-line winds thing.

Mmm hmmm. From April 1 to May 31, every single resident of Oklahoma is a freakin meteorologist. Ask OFG.

:)

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM
From April 1 to May 31, every single resident of Oklahoma is a freakin meteorologist. Ask OFG.

I see your Doppler!

SpookyWriter
04-04-2008, 04:21 AM
Lucky so far... I don't know why they think it's going to be OKC and northwest, though. Everything is south and east... I hate wishing it on anyone else, but I sure don't want it here! :)Yep, we're expecting some entertainment tonight here in Dallas.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Keep it in the basement, Spooky. I see the tornado watches have spread WAY south - and east. North Texas, most of Oklahoma and about the northwest quarter of Arkansas are all in the red boxes.

All kidding aside, Norman, Oklahoma, is the home of the world's finest, bleeding-edge weather prognosticators. They've got equipment down there that is other-worldly. People come from all over the globe to learn weather prediction here... if I have to be in the tornado bullseye, I'm glad they're down there workin' their mojo.

SpookyWriter
04-04-2008, 04:45 AM
You be safe, OFG. I'll be keeping a watch out for ya!

tjwriter
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
We're getting it here, and the stuff that's down near Texas is headed right for us. I expect some watches and warnings.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Looks like everything is calming down a bit. Tornado watches were allowed to expire - those to the east were cancelled an hour or so early. We heard BIG thunder to the south and had some wind, but that's about it for this round. Good luck to those of you up stream from us!

SpookyWriter
04-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Looks like everything is calming down a bit. Tornado watches were allowed to expire - those to the east were cancelled an hour or so early. We heard BIG thunder to the south and had some wind, but that's about it for this round. Good luck to those of you up stream from us!:roll: RT in Okie. Now's that's funny.

tjwriter
04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
There was some interesting and intense lightning last night.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
It apparently got cranked up again once it hit Arkansas.

Jenifer
04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, the house is still standing, anyway. :)

They ran the sirens a few times last night, and yet my desktop weather widget never went off? Lame.

DeborahM
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
OFG, thanks for sharing the weather with us here in Dallas and Ft. Worth!!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Under the gun again tonight, Okies! Tornado Watch 'til 10pm. Ah! Spring!

skelly
04-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Grrrrrr. And it wants to get serious mid to late evening. Sucks, since my only plan is to haul my family to Baptist. Which requires strict attention to all weather info available so-as to leave at the right time. Totally screwing up my life at the moment...and nothing but more to look forward to.

June 1, where art thou?

I hate this state right now.

:(

skelly
04-08-2008, 02:44 AM
btw...have you noticed Morgan? He's positively apoplectic. Whatever tornadoes we do get, rest assured that they will be SEVERE and VIOLENT. Stay tuned or die.

DeborahM
04-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Fortunately, we're just cloudy tonight in Northern TX, however, tomorrow will be another day Dorothy! Where's Toto?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-08-2008, 03:06 AM
They're sounding definitely depressed that the only thing going right now is north of Wichita Falls and headed east. "It's not going to cross the Red River, folks..." ::sigh::

Komnena
04-08-2008, 03:22 AM
I got as close as I want to a tornado February 5 and that thing was only an F0.

rtilryarms
04-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Google was recruiting me for their "top secret " new datacenter in Pryor.
Despite the fact that Google is the #1 rated company to work for, the weather played the biggest part in taking myself out of the running.

Of course there was the little matter of not being qualified is neither here nor there.......

Jenifer
04-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Fortunately, we're just cloudy tonight in Northern TX, however, tomorrow will be another day Dorothy! Where's Toto?

It's nice and stinkin' humid though. And for some reason this entire town smells like chicken nuggets. (I checked, McDonald's is intact- no nugget rain, sigh.)

skelly
04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
It's nice and stinkin' humid though. And for some reason this entire town smells like chicken nuggets. (I checked, McDonald's is intact- no nugget rain, sigh.)
Wouldn't THAT be something? Or better, it could just rain beer. I might not hate spring as much if it rained beer every once in awhile.

More crap tonight. What is this, round four? Five? I've already lost count, not to mention my patience for it all.

Rainy and cold here now...not your typical tornado weather. But the NWS assures me that the moderate risk area MAY HAVE TO BE EXTENDED FURTHER NORTH, AS WE WOULDN'T WANT SKELLY TO ENJOY HIS EVENING, OR GET ANY REST OVERNIGHT.

We battle on...

nerds
04-10-2008, 01:32 AM
But the NWS assures me that the moderate risk area MAY HAVE TO BE EXTENDED FURTHER NORTH, AS WE WOULDN'T WANT SKELLY TO ENJOY HIS EVENING, OR GET ANY REST OVERNIGHT.

I actually heard these exact words on the Weather Channel this afternoon.

:Hug2:

Boy, round and round you all go out there, it's been crazy. They're saying tomorrow will be just awful over a very broad swath of the country, plus more flooding. Seems like once a week I say this now: be safe, be well everyone.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Couple of big claps of thunder and pfffft! It all stayed south an?d east. I'm thinkin' JenNips (close to McAllister, I think?) took it all down there for the team.

You know the problem, don't you, Skelly? They know you and I are on 24-7 duty and they want to make sure we're on our toes.

tjwriter
04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
There are watch (may be warning) boxes right on the other side of the state line from us right now. We're going to get some lovely severe weather. Makes for a fun day at work.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
It's a toss-up... I hate it day or night, but I think I hate it more at night. When those twisters get rain-wrapped, no one can see them in the dark.

Plus the fact when I go to bed, I wanna SLEEP. When the weather boys are all cranked up, they love pushing that 'Let's wake the Okie folks!' button. They've got it down to a fine science, too. They give us juuuuuuust enough time to doze off again, then WHAM!

Komnena
04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
They do make themselves heard, though. The one that passed by my house sounded like a very large, very angry animal.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, last night was exciting! Five-second warning and a tornado over Bethany/Warr Acres and Piedmont, both heading toward Memorial Rd. and Western. Ol' Boy was right out in the middle of it, trying to drive home and get to me and the cats - one of whom got smart to the sirens and was hiding under the middle of the king-size bed.

All you other Okies check in, okay? :D

skelly
05-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Well, last night was exciting! Five-second warning and a tornado over Bethany/Warr Acres and Piedmont, both heading toward Memorial Rd. and Western. Ol' Boy was right out in the middle of it, trying to drive home and get to me and the cats - one of whom got smart to the sirens and was hiding under the middle of the king-size bed.

All you other Okies check in, okay? :D
Still standing. That one caught me by surprise, which isn't easy to do. The NWC seemed to think that all the ugly stuff would be south central and south east. And of course, the temps weren't what I expect when things get tornadoey.

Next thing I know they are blowing sirens all over hells half acre and Gary's got his game-face on. Dang! Apparently the tornado went about a block south of the house I was living in just two short months ago...so I like this new house all the more.

Weird night all around. Glad your still waving them off up your way OFG. I almost missed this one, but we shooed em the hell on out of here anyway.

23 days to freeeeeeedom! :)

tjwriter
05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
How is everyone today? We received some storms last night, but the wind is fierce this morning. Our power keeps flickering, so I have a feeling we might lose it at some point today. Just not until after I give the toddler a bath, I hope.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Whew doggies! What an afternoon and night, eh? Nothing here in OKC but wind. Wind. And, oh, did I mention WIND!?

And the storms that started here are still roaring toward the Atlantic at 60mph. Killed at least 19 in northern Oklahoma and Missouri.

I'm wishin' May would go away.

Soccer Mom
05-11-2008, 07:48 PM
It's windy and friggin COLD here. :( It isn't supposed to be yucky in Texas in May. May is supposed to be our reward for surviving August!

Jean Marie
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Whew doggies! What an afternoon and night, eh? Nothing here in OKC but wind. Wind. And, oh, did I mention WIND!?

And the storms that started here are still roaring toward the Atlantic at 60mph. Killed at least 19 in northern Oklahoma and Missouri.

Careful what you wish for, OFG. Whole damn place may just blow away, if you're not careful :D Not intended sarcastically, at all. The weather, globally is bizarre to say the least.

skelly
05-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Lotta hurtin up that way. God bless those folks...and our fellow Okies in Picher.

Damn it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-12-2008, 02:06 AM
It's not like they hadn't suffered enough with the dwindling of the town's economy and population from 20000 to 800 or 900... these folks were hanging on by the slimmest of threads anyway and now this. One of those killed was an infant.

Soccer Mom
05-12-2008, 02:40 AM
That poor town. So sad.

Jean Marie
05-12-2008, 03:15 AM
If memory serves, don't tornadoes occur well into the summer, as well?

I heard one interview w/ a woman, this am, who said that there still aren't early warning systems. She said her husband was at the store buying a weather radio, so they'd have enough time to get to a shelter, next time around.

She had video of the storm coming in.

I don't understand why there isn't an early warning system in some areas. It seems it would give people a shot at safety.

Soccer Mom
05-12-2008, 03:17 AM
There are early warning systems in many areas, but small and poor communities don't have them.

Tornados can happen at any time, but are most prevalent in the spring.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Tornadoes can occur any time of year. We've had 'em in December and January. We joke (kinda) that Tornado season starts May 1 and ends April 30.

Jean Marie
05-12-2008, 03:20 AM
There are early warning systems in many areas, but small and poor communities don't have them.

Tornados can happen at any time, but are most prevalent in the spring.
Then, it behooves, someone to supply weather radios to those who cannot afford them.

Loss of life is unacceptable due to what's in your bank account, or under your mattress.

Jean Marie
05-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Tornadoes can occur any time of year. We've had 'em in December and January. We joke (kinda) that Tornado season starts May 1 and ends April 30.
That would be like earthquake/fire season in CA., it can be random.

Silver King
05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Can we go back to discussing the weather now? Please? I don't have the energy to douse any more flames.

Thank you.

Jean Marie
05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Fire fighting is weather related.

At least in S. Cal.

skelly
05-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Can we go back to discussing the weather now? Please? I don't have the energy to douse any more flames.

Thank you.
Sorry SK. And you too, Jean Marie. I'm pretty sure I could have found a better way to say most, if not all of that. Above all else, I absolutely did not mean it when I said I didn't care about whatever you are going through. It was a reprehensible thing to say.

Silver King
05-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Thank you, skelly. I appreciate your thoughts, and it's good of you to share them here.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-14-2008, 01:38 AM
We've all been a little... tense. Let's focus on the weather instead of each other... and speaking of the weather, along with Texas, we're under the gun again. :(

You'd think I'd get used to it. ::sightm::

rhymegirl
05-14-2008, 01:39 AM
We had high winds today. My back door kept blowing open.

III
05-14-2008, 01:40 AM
We had high winds today. My back door kept blowing open.

Is that supposed to be a euphemism? Follow up question, can I quote this in my sig line?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Is that supposed to be a euphemism? Follow up question, can I quote this in my sig line?

:roll:

rhymegirl
05-14-2008, 01:46 AM

Oh God. No, it wasn't supposed to be a euphe--how the hell do ya spell that?

Sure, feel free to quote the line.

Soccer Mom
05-14-2008, 03:35 AM
We've all been a little... tense. Let's focus on the weather instead of each other... and speaking of the weather, along with Texas, we're under the gun again. :(

You'd think I'd get used to it. ::sightm::

Yup. Under a Tornado Watch again. And my son is away on a 4th grade trip so I get to do the anxious mommy thing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-14-2008, 03:52 AM
I hate it when those I love are out of sight in dangerous situations... just makes it that much worse.

CACTUSWENDY
05-14-2008, 03:54 AM
And you all have another one on the way. Storm blew through here (Arizona) this AM. Dropped some snow in Flagstaff. High winds and cold. Get out your long johns.

Jean Marie
05-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Sorry SK. And you too, Jean Marie. I'm pretty sure I could have found a better way to say most, if not all of that. Above all else, I absolutely did not mean it when I said I didn't care about whatever you are going through. It was a reprehensible thing to say.
Thanks, Skelly. That goes a long way in my book, believe me. I don't share, generally speaking, what goes on in my personal life w/ the exception of the few friends I've here on AW and in regular life. In other words, I don't start many threads about stuff. Let's just say, health-wise, things are in flux at the moment and it's been a tough month.

My apologies for shooting back.

Fwiw, grappling w/ enormous numbers of lives lost can be difficult to wrap ones mind around. I'm thinking out loud, here, so please bear w/ me. Between the incredulous losses in Burma and now China, I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time fathoming those numbers, especially when many of them are children. I guess my frustration gets the better of me, and I don't get why the collective "we" don't do something in situations where death is potentially preventable.

That brings me back to those who can't afford weather radios in those areas where they don't have warning systems. Children should not be dying from tornadoes in those, or in any other towns because of not having a fucking radio.

That's what I was reacting to. This health thing is getting in the way, is all.

I had a frickin' TIA, a month ago. That's a mini stroke, for those who don't know. Ok, I said it. Apparently, it triggered seizures, of the focal kind. I've been having 3-4 a day and feeling perfectly shitty in the interim. I'm now on the appropriate meds, which will, hopefully control the suckers. So, there you have it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled weather related program.

skelly
05-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Jean I understand, and thank you for being so forgiving. I share your frustration as it turns out. Every time I turn on the news I see people hurting (some not so far away) and I want to bawl. I reckon it's just pent up fear and anger. It's been a long tornadey season and I'm getting frazzled :)

As for this latest round...not much. Thankfully. BUT, to hear the NWS around noon today it was edging toward "significant." I'm starting to hate those bastards too (not really). But damn.

Anyway, per the wx gurus we're clear to next Monday or Tuesday.

YAY! Sorta.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-15-2008, 03:46 AM
And then we're flirting with 90F!

Did you enjoy spring? It lasted a whole 3.5 hours!

Jean Marie
05-15-2008, 03:52 AM
And then we're flirting with 90F!

Did you enjoy spring? It lasted a whole 3.5 hours!
We had a spell just like that, then spring came right back. I'm telling you, be patient, OFG, it will be back. Matter of fact, we're still enjoying it.

skelly
05-15-2008, 04:10 AM
I wonder what it's like to live in a place where spring is a reward for having lived through winter? :)

Jean Marie
05-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Here in CT, it's not so bad, but ask those in Canada. Or, farther up in New England :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-15-2008, 04:52 AM
As much as I hate tornadoes, I think I'd hate deep, long-lasting snow more.

Soccer Mom
05-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Son is back from camping, but we are under ANOTHER tornado watch. :(

And there have been Storm Chaser vans circling the area all day. Grrr.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-15-2008, 05:02 AM
They're kicking around a severe thunderstorm watch for us at the moment... mainly hail this time. I saw your tornado watch come up earlier and thought of you. Y'all stay safe. I'll try cookin' up a dissipation candle to light for you.

Soccer Mom
05-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks, Jenn. We didn't get anything but rain and pea-sized hail last night. The storm was all lightning and thunder, but no damage. I hope you avoid the hail.

Jean Marie
05-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I really feel for you guys. I'm not sure my nerves could stand it.

I'll say some prayers for you.

tjwriter
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Looks like we're in for some serious weather today. Have to see how it all plays out, but it's coming from the south this time instead of the west.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Rained all night here... still too dark to see how much we got, but my tomatoes are loving it. ;)

Hang on, tj... the nasty stuff is supposed to stay south of you. Louisianna is getting it this morning.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-20-2008, 03:39 AM
And today, we run right smack dab into summer! It was 95 here today!

skelly
05-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Let's hope it stays like that.... :)

In fact, I have burgers on the grill even as I type.

CACTUSWENDY
05-20-2008, 05:56 AM
OFG...is 108 here today and tomorrow will be 113 with a cold front coming in in a few days. You might be in for some super hot heading your way. Get the ice cubes chilled and ready.

Fenika
05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Geeze, I just checked the weather to see if they were still calling for rain and now there's a bloody Tornado watch. I'm trying to leave, you'll never take me alive Okie!

argh, back to packing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah... all this crap's supposed to be farther north, in Nebraska! So far, we've had three F3/F4 tornadoes playing with us north of Oklahoma City. Enid, Hennesey, Bison, points NNE - hang on. :(

Brutal Mustang
05-25-2008, 12:39 AM
In northern Colorado where I live, we're recovering from the other day's tornadoes. If anyone saw the shot of the truck laying across the highway on the news ... well that's the route I take to get to my horse everyday.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 12:48 AM
So unusual for Colorado, too... that far north. Nowhere to hide.

We've got another one on the ground in Garfield county.

Brutal Mustang
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
One of our tornadoes was a freakin' mile wide. Can you believe that?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes. Absolutely. May 3, 1999, made a believer outta me.

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:07 AM
OFG...keep your eyes peeled. I'm guessing 50/50 that the crap back builds into canadian. If anything pops up in Kingfisher I'm heading the family for the hospital.

These tornados are friggin huge. Very ugly situation. Get your best tornadey-shooing spells out and face north. Imma do the same.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm with Gary on streaming video on the laptop at the moment, skelly. Gotta say - since it's far enough north of us at the moment that I feel relatively safe, it's a fascinating study - the sky is black and spinning. The video is from the News9 chopper right at the fringe of things. I've got a storm spotter buddy on the ground on HW81 NW of Marshall. Thankfully, this is an area that's very sparsely populated.

This activity is making it more likely that storms will initiate in south central Kansas and suck all the energy north. Crossing my fingers for us and praying for those in Kansas.

benbradley
05-25-2008, 01:15 AM
I haven't been reading this thread, but I just thought I'd poke my head in. Georgia has has a share of "interesting" springtime weather as well. I was in a store maybe an hour ago, all the TV's were tuned to Fox News which was showing live coverage of a big tornado from a local affiliate TV station's helicopter (!). I wonder how much insurance they pay on that helicopter...

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
I hope. You heard Val just then, I suppose. "Gary! Gary! Got one on the ground! Gary! Multi vortices! GARY!"

Hope this crap doesn't back-build. There goes my cook-out :(

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Multiple vortexes on the ground close to Marshall... with another funnel trying to form in conjunction with them. Very slow moving storm, too. Seems like it's been in the same area for two hours. It's only moving 10-15mph.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Yeah... got the news from the friend just as Val started trying to interrupt His Nibs.

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:20 AM
ofg I don't know if your watching 9, but that's the biggest g.d. tornado i've ever seen. Just south of Douglas.

OMG.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah... I've got 9 on the TV and the streaming video from 9 on the laptop - the circulation is FOUR MILES across.

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:29 AM
And dropping tornados like a mutha. You know it's serious when the chasers turn tail and run.

Good lord.

eta: I got some video on 4...looks like it's at least a mile wide. Looks like a freakin wall cloud on the ground.

Serenity
05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
My goodness all of you... STAY SAFE.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Amen. The bloody thing's trying to suck the chopper in!

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I would NOT want to be in Douglas OK right now. Dammit.

Soccer Mom
05-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Hang in there my friends to the north! I'm seeing your horrible weather! Stay safe.

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:45 AM
I gotta live shot on four from some chaser pointing (I assume) north form his location towards the storm. Looks like God just shut the lights out on that little corner of the world.

Wow.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Looks like a hurricane... it's even got an eye.

skelly
05-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Looks like a hurricane... it's even got an eye.
Amen that. That is the biggest inflow notch on a hook that I think I've ever seen. Good Lord that thing is huge. Add Covington to my list of least favorite places to be right now.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 02:00 AM
This damn thing just will not die.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:02 AM
:e2cry:

I gotta stop reading this thread... *whimper*

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Oh gawd, its coming my way... but we have a southerly...

Keeping public radio on... Stay safe everyone

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Where are you?

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Stillwater. We can see the arching clouds now. Geeze. Packing the birds up. Hope its for nothing.

skelly
05-25-2008, 02:19 AM
You can add Orlando to my list. I wish they'd back off every once in awhile and give an overview...i.e. is there anything building south of this monster. OFG, you got any statewide radar product?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 02:19 AM
It's moving east-southeast now... toward Stillwater.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 02:20 AM
Not a thing, skelly. Everything that tries to blow up gets sucked into the big storm.

skelly
05-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Stillwater. We can see the arching clouds now. Geeze. Packing the birds up. Hope its for nothing.
Bahamut you need to be real heads up. I think the core is north of you. Hopefully it will stay that way. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 02:23 AM
North of Stillwater... you're gonna be on the southern edge. Be safe!!!

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:33 AM
They are calling for it to head South, under Perry, which is just a few miles south of me.
Don't anyone tell my mom, she'll freak worst than me. Still got the radio on. have given up packing b/c it takes me away from the radio...

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:34 AM
North of Stillwater... you're gonna be on the southern edge. Be safe!!!

North would be fine by me!

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Got my towns confused. Yeah, it's heading north of Stillwater, and I'm south of SW

skelly
05-25-2008, 02:37 AM
It's turning southeast, perhaps weakening slightly. Bahamut, if you haven't already, you probably want to shut everything down and brace yourself. It jogs southeast, then heads back due east, then jogs again. No need to panic, of course, just tme to think about what you are going to do and where you are going to hole up in case things get weird.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 02:45 AM
I live in a mobile home- there is no bracing! I plan to abandon all personal belongings and take animals to shelter. It will be me, the birds, the neighbor, my doggie, and his 3 dogs. Yikes.

My friend suggested I move my horse trailer off the grass since we'll prolly just get hail/rain...

Thanks everyone!
C
C

skelly
05-25-2008, 02:51 AM
If it comes to that, just pick a road that goes a long way south. I think you are in pretty good shape, esp. if you are already south of Stillwater. Just be heads up. Don't wait too long to bail, if you gotta. Stay calm and go south on some major highway. Honestly, if you have some friends down that way you could pop in and visit, now would be the time. OFG will correct me if needed, but I think south of Stillwater is looking okay. Stay alert.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:05 AM
2 tornados in Orlando. I hope everyone's safe!

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:05 AM
I might just head south for my nerves, this is scary.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 03:06 AM
I think - if everything keeps going as it is - it's north of you, B. Storms keep trying to pop up in the original spawning ground, and they're still being sucked into this incredible mesocyclone. Perry's in the crosshairs ATM.

Haggis
05-25-2008, 03:12 AM
Grab something and hang on, folks. We're with you.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Sun has come out. That's a good sign, right? right?

skelly
05-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Sun has come out. That's a good sign, right? right?
Stay alert. This thing is doing a drunkard's walk generally east of Orlando. It does seem to be headed more toward Perry, which is good news for you (bad news for the folks in Perry, of course). Just stay alert. Seriously. This is a really ugly storm.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:30 AM
I brought my dog inside and she's making me feel a million times better as she's passed out in the middle of the floor.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:32 AM
The good news is the is almost nothing after Perry, however, another tornado just touched down...

skelly
05-25-2008, 03:34 AM
I see where Maestro put up a link of "Incredible Tornado Footage." For those interested, that's the same storm that is just north of Bahamut.

Hang in there B.

eta: Of course, that particular tornado has long sinced morphed into God knows how many others. That particular tornado did lift.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:39 AM
The tornado chaser is too close for the second time. He's prolly got an adrenaline rush to last a month, eee

*Hanging on, sitting tight*

skelly
05-25-2008, 03:47 AM
2 miles SE of Perry. Seems to be working more north now. B, I think you can start to breath now. But stay alert anyway! :)

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Agreed.

I can not get out of this state fast enough. I'll be addled if I ever return- DVM degree or no.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 03:55 AM
New tornado watch issued just as this one's scheduled to expire.

::sigh::tm

I knew it.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Dang it.

I can't believe it's 7pm already. How long have I been quietly freaking out over this? ...6 hours. No way. I'm gonna get some dinner. Thanks everyone for keeping me company. Laters.

Cheers,
Christina

skelly
05-25-2008, 04:02 AM
New tornado watch issued just as this one's scheduled to expire.

::sigh::tm

I knew it.
Yup. Gonna be a long night for the tornado shoo-ers.

I'm gonna go grill some hotdogs anyway. I'll be around.

P.S.: Bahamut...the state really only sucks from March 1 through May 31. Really.

eta: Oh, and I'm pretty sure we'll be doing this dance again tomorrow night, too. We're screwed until a supposed cold front moves in early next week and pushes this crap away.

Fenika
05-25-2008, 04:21 AM
I knew I should have taken the plane home. *Packs faster* Get me outta this club!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 05:51 AM
And now we have a shiny new Severe Thunderstorm watch 'til 4AM... just in case any of you other Okies thought you were gonna get ANY sleep tonight.

EriRae
05-25-2008, 06:43 AM
CNN's been watching that same cloud for a couple of hours...

ETA: Sorry that sounded really crass. My prayers are with all of you. We're all hoping for the best. I hate tornado weather. That just means they're headed my way.

tlblack
05-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Stay safe, all of you. We have our share of tornado weather here in Alabama. The weatherman starts watching the systems as soon as they arrive in Oklahoma and Arkansas so they get a hint of what is heading our way. For the past few weeks, the plains states, the deep south and southeast have taken a real pounding from tornadic storms. Many people have lost their lives and many many structures have been completely wiped out, as have entire towns. Tornado season usually abates around the first of June, just in time for hurricane season to begin for us here in the deep south. My prayers for all of you in the pathways of any of the current storms and wish you all well.

skelly
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM
And now we have a shiny new Severe Thunderstorm watch 'til 4AM... just in case any of you other Okies thought you were gonna get ANY sleep tonight.
I'm going to bed. If I'mnot here for round two tomorrow you'll know I got obliterated. OFG, I'm willing all of my ham radio gear and other sundry tornadey tracking shit to you.

G'night.

Serenity
05-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey... how's everyone doing this morning? (I'm not a mom, but I worry like one sometimes. ;))

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm going to bed. If I'mnot here for round two tomorrow you'll know I got obliterated. OFG, I'm willing all of my ham radio gear and other sundry tornadey tracking shit to you.

G'night.

I accept it gladly! Y'know... I've always wondered about ham radio... sounded fun. :)

As for how we're doing this morning, Serenity, we're here! And that's a good thing. Things petered out and the wind came up (from the collapsing thunderstorms), but if there was anthing going on after 10:30, I missed it. :) I've got my little weather warning radio right next to my side of the bed and it flashed 'yellow' 'til 1am then went to green and I heaved a sigh of relief and passed out.

We're all set up for another round this afternoon/evening, though. The convective outlook according to NOAA out of Norman, OK, looks almost identical to yesterday. :(

Fenika
05-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Alive and well. I slept reasonably well last night too.

Cheers,
Christina

skelly
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I accept it gladly! Y'know... I've always wondered about ham radio... sounded fun. :)

As for how we're doing this morning, Serenity, we're here! And that's a good thing. Things petered out and the wind came up (from the collapsing thunderstorms), but if there was anthing going on after 10:30, I missed it. :) I've got my little weather warning radio right next to my side of the bed and it flashed 'yellow' 'til 1am then went to green and I heaved a sigh of relief and passed out.

We're all set up for another round this afternoon/evening, though. The convective outlook according to NOAA out of Norman, OK, looks almost identical to yesterday. :(
Right after I got licensed back in the early 90's, I took a couple of spotter training deals...one with Gary, and one in Norman...then proceeded to run out and chase storms. That lasted through about three severe weather outbreaks, at which point--due largely to an aging and befuddled net control op--I nearly drove right into a smallish tornado. Scared the bejesus out of me, and never chased again.

I went on to explore the hobby more fully after that, though, so not a complete loss. Let's hope today is a little more calm than yesterday. I'd like to enjoy at least one day of this weekend.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I thought you sounded pretty savvy! ;)

Let's pray for the cap... that it either breaks early or doesn't break at all. (I prefer the latter.)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Have y'all looked at the weather watch map at NOAA (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/)? It looks like a wishbone formation with us in the middle - and we have no watch. How'd that happen?

skelly
05-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Have y'all looked at the weather watch map at NOAA (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/)? It looks like a wishbone formation with us in the middle - and we have no watch. How'd that happen?
I don't know, but I am in the process of enjoying every minute of it. How do you like your steak grilled? Oh, and help yourself to the bar.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Medium rare, please. I've got some fresh strawberries and homemade pound cake for desert, too. w00t!

skelly
05-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Medium rare, please. I've got some fresh strawberries and homemade pound cake for desert, too. w00t!
It's a feast! I'm going to go feed my family and revel in the calmness. Take care Y'all.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, skelly! You out there!? Good idea to be weather aware today! You Kansas and Nebraska folks, watch out!

skelly
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Yuppers. I'm burning up the monitor with all the radars. I think this one is gonna blow up fast. Soon as something starts to pop on western OK, I'm herding the family to the hospital and sitting it out up there. This is not one to goof around with.

Stay on your toes OFG...and arm yourself with your best tornadey-shooing stick.

Komnena
06-06-2008, 02:27 AM
How are things going in Oklahoma?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 03:28 AM
The wind is incredible! Gusts here in my back yard of 50 to 60 mph. There's a line of storms from Burns Flat northeast to somewhere in central Kansas. The line is moving NNE at 70 MPH! That's fast even for Oklahoma.

I'm thinkin' the worst of it's gonna stay west and north of us here in Oklahoma City... much to Gary's, Mike's, and Rick's disappointment. I hope I'm right... there's a lot fewer people out there in the NW corner of the state than there are here in the middle.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Hey, skelly! Just for us! They cancelled two tornado watches and replaced them with one that includes our corner of the world. Aren't they thoughtful?

Ali B
06-06-2008, 05:05 AM
The wind is incredible! Gusts here in my back yard of 50 to 60 mph. There's a line of storms from Burns Flat northeast to somewhere in central Kansas. The line is moving NNE at 70 MPH! That's fast even for Oklahoma.

I'm thinkin' the worst of it's gonna stay west and north of us here in Oklahoma City... much to Gary's, Mike's, and Rick's disappointment. I hope I'm right... there's a lot fewer people out there in the NW corner of the state than there are here in the middle.

LOL! I think this wind is about to blow my house away. But, on the up side, it sure is keeping my house cool!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 05:25 AM
I've lived in this house for 27-28 years... I've never seen such wind.

Which reminds me of a snippet from one of the books I was reading for research into the WIP currently tasking me. A woman living with her husband in a soddy back in the late 1800s killed herself. She left a suicide note that said only 'Can't take this wind no more.'.

Tburger
06-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Its one hundred degrees out and no breeze where I am. 100% humidity. It's why we're all so slow in the deep south.

skelly
06-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Hey, skelly! Just for us! They cancelled two tornado watches and replaced them with one that includes our corner of the world. Aren't they thoughtful?
If I make it thorugh this night without driving up to kfor and choking the living %^^%(^$ out of Mike Morgan...

Too late for my bail-out plan now. If anything pops from here on out, we'll be riding it out in a closet. What a miserable evening this has turned out to be.

I mean for us weather neurotics.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 05:42 AM
I saw him a little earlier - he was screaming 'tornado' before it even made a lowering, let alone a tail. Even Gary hadn't tuned up - but they're all awake now! :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Val thinks they're breaking apart up north. And I'm thinkin' the break between the north group of storms and the south group may be the part that skims over you and me. Crossing fingers...

Haggis
06-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Not to be off topic or anything, but have you folks ever considered moving to Chicago?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 06:03 AM
What?? Chicago? It's wayyyyy too windy in Chicago! :D

Haggis
06-06-2008, 06:11 AM
What?? Chicago? It's wayyyyy too windy in Chicago! :D

Stay safe, y'all.

Chumplet
06-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Hope everyone makes it safely through the night. I see the line of storms slicing straight through the middle of the country. What a way to spend a summer!

skelly
06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Welp, right after I made my last post, they started popping tornado warnings. It was far enough away that we could make a run for the hopital...and given the dire warnings that I've been listening to all day I thought "this is it! OMG!"

I think it was a case of spotters getting over excited. By the time I got to the hospital (with all my storm monitoring gear in tow) the warnings were 'poof!' Grrrrrr.....

So we hung out there until the squall line went through (and those were some pretty impressive winds), listening to Val make an utter ass out of himself. "Power flashes! Gary I got power flashes! Two, three, oh my. Power flashes! Gary!"

"What's your location Val?"

"More power flashes Gary! Straight line winds! I'm at ... OH MY! There goes another one!"

It was a long, quiet ride back home.

eta: Not that it probably matters, but for those unfamiliar with local OK weather folks, "Val" refers to one of the spotters who has been chasing storms for a local affiliate for several years. Good guy, and very dedicated to the cause. Very, very dedicated. :) But he really is a pretty cool dude.

etfa: I think what got me spooked about this particular batch was that even Rick Mitchell was looking a little worried. That's not something you see very often. His vaguely bewildered manner is somewhat of a comfort in the middle of that sort of thing. When he starts getting focused, I start worrying.

Fenika
06-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh my. Well despite bringing not one, but two tornado watches with me to the East coast (sorry Delmarva) things have been pretty quiet here. I don't envy ya'll! Stay safe

skelly
06-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Oddly enough, we don't envy you either. Give our regards to the Kennedy's.

Oh I'm kidding! :D Glad you made it back safe Bahamut-C. And don't be a stranger. We always have a big ol mess a fried okra waiting. Just. For. You.

Fenika
06-06-2008, 09:04 AM
We always have a big ol mess a fried okra waiting. Just. For. You.

:flag:

I tried that stuff once. Nev.er.A.gain. :)

I'll make sure to keep an eye on ya'll. Make sure no one's gotten over eager and done any impromptu tornado chasin' :D

Cheers,
Christina

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Fried Okra! YUM!

We don't have to chase 'em down here, Christina. They come to us. You know that! :)

The power went off four times last night, came right back on after. We were lucky. Didn't even lose a shingle. I'll put the yard back in order - rehang the bird feeders, put the gazing ball back on the deck table, rehang the mosquito zapper - just in time for the next round.

Damn.

Isn't it June?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Not to be off topic or anything, but have you folks ever considered moving to Chicago?

"To the northwest, Chicago-area residents ran for cover as tornadoes touched down throughout the region. (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-07-chicago-tornado_N.htm?csp=34)"

What was that you were sayin', Haggis?

benbradley
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Move to Georgia. We haven't had a tornado in a good while, it's been several weeks now...

Serenity
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Ha! Move to Northern Virginia. We just had a tornado here near the school where I work four days ago, so the once-in-a-blue-moon rule applies.

Kalyke
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
this morning at 2:30 to 3:45 AM we had a tornado touch down in town. The alarms went off, I saved my laptop and the dogs, went to the basement and waited for the roof to cave in. It didn't of course.

skelly
06-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow, UHN, thank God it wasn't any more serious than that! I'm glad that you are safe.

Kalyke
06-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Well today I am doing what I should have done and getting the emergency kit together. I kept thinking "Gee, I have no idea where my social security card, or birth records are!" I'm sticking all that crap in a waterproof box (I'll use my vacuum bag sucker-outer thing).

Eek! Now we have a flood warning!

skelly
06-08-2008, 11:21 PM
(I'll use my vacuum bag sucker-outer thing).

I assume you mean vacuum bag air sucker-outer thing. And if you have floods coming, you might go ahead and drag out the vacuum bag air puter-inner and a handful of lawn and garden bags.

Stay safe!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 01:00 AM
And just where, pray tell, did the inclement weather for tonight and tomorrow come from? I religiously check the Convective Outlooks and this did not show up 'til today! I'm going to have to send a sternly worded memo to the boys down in Norman...

skelly
06-09-2008, 01:20 AM
inclement weather where, oh thou mistress of the storms? I've had the NWS radio on in the background all day. Did I miss a report?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 01:22 AM
North and west. The weather watch leaves off the far west counties in the panhandle, stretches across the western third of the state, and ends in west Texas. We're not in it... and it's mostly for hail and wind. We'll likely get the thunderboomers in the middle of the night, as usual.

Kalyke
06-09-2008, 01:33 AM
oh-- I'm in Iowa--

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 02:13 AM
You're in it, too, then. And they're saying you've got a better chance than Oklahoma does of bad weather tonight. Keep a weather eye on the horizon. ;)

Chumplet
06-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Can you believe it? Newmarket is under a Tornado Watch right now. I hear distant rumbling and the temps have dropped but no 'greenage'.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Oh, my! Canada! Does Canada get this kind of weather normally?

We've got two tornado warnings live at the moment in Major county and Woodward county.

Better fasten your seat belts, ladies and gentlemen. It's gonna be a bumpy night.

Chumplet
06-09-2008, 04:28 AM
They're very rare in Ontario, but we had a doozy about twenty years ago that wiped out half of Barrie and destroyed a horse racetrack.

Two summers ago a wind shear blew down some big trees at the end of our street.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 04:52 AM
And there's the Severe T-Storm watch for us, Skelly, 'til 2am. Sweet dreams.

skelly
06-09-2008, 05:55 AM
Well thank you very much.

I think the wx dudes are just having trouble letting go. After all, it's been such a FUN severe weather season.

I think it will stay NW. I hope.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Love those early morning power outages (three times in the space of five minutes!) and thunderstorms!

NOT.

Dammit! I wish it'd get this crap out of its system before I go to bed!

skelly
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I got up and watched it for about ten minutes, then went back to bed. Looked like a squall line to me. Headed out to work know, and it's raining cats and. Oh well.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Time to wake up the ol' Oklahoma Weather thread!

I've ducked a couple tornadoes this afternoon here in south Oklahoma City at work. There's a big wall cloud headed for the Ol' Homestead.

Pray for us. I wanna go home, but it's between me and Ol' Boy! WAH!

Pagey's_Girl
02-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I just saw all that nastiness on Weather Channel. Stay safe!

And that's what's heading for New York tomorrow afternoon. :eek:

Fenika
02-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Prayer sent! Stay safe.

I appreciate Delaware a little more again.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Things are calming down a bit around my house... still exciting northeast of us and southwest. Some guy with a storm cellar in the front yard of his mobile home didn't get in it and was sucked out of his mobile home!