Mind Control Made Easy

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Okay, I'm not going to finish this piece, nor do I wish to discard it entirely, so I'm going to do something I hate doing: reveal an unfinished work. For your consideration, I've removed my "come back and fix this later" tags and deleted those unfinished sections. Here goes

This discussion references a short documentary called Mind Control Made Easy, which I found on i-am-bored.com. The link is http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21383

I recommend that you watch it first, and then continue with the discussion.

Attribution notes: quotes prefaced by Mind Control Made Easy or the abbreviation MCME are direct quotes by the narrator. Subsequent quotes not specifically identified are in-character quotes made to support or exemplify the statement. If I’ve transcribed anything incorrectly, please inform me and I’ll change it immediately. I insist on 100% accuracy in quoting.

I don’t expect that any such errors will change the conclusions I’ve drawn. If anything, a minor phrasing different might turn up that supports the same conclusion.

Mind Control Made Easy says “Layer your cult like an onion, with the most benign parts on the outside.”
Publish America says “We are the nation's number one book publisher.”

MCME: Promise to fulfill their dreams.
PA: “We are a book publisher who put our trust in the big league of unknown authors.” [from the PA website]

MCME: Offer them something free and get them obliged to give you something in return.
PA: “Get published free.” [from the PA website]

MCME: “Start with a prolonged period of love bombing.”
PA: We are always happy when a new author has found the way to our door, because opportunity knocks on both sides of it. [from the PA website]

MCME: Get information and hone their weak spots…
”Tell us about yourself”
”Take this personality test”
“…and then use this information to manipulate them.”
PA: Fill out this Author Questionnaire.

MCME: “Gradually over time you’ll be able to shape the recruits behavior by granting or withholding this attention.”
PA features books seemingly at random in Up in Lights and their Book of the Week. They issue “tone letters” to authors who question them.

MCME: Control their thoughts.
“Our ideology answers all questions to all problems.”

MCME: Control Information. Keep them from knowing all the workings of the cult.
PA doesn’t provide a phone number. They refuse to share exact sales figures. They don’t always sign their communications, hiding individual identity behind the corporate mask. They don’t allow accountants to review sales figures. In fact, they even refused to bring supporting documentation to a courtroom when it would have helped them in a legal argument.

MCME: “Block out any information which is critical of the group.”
PA deletes negative posts on its website. Wouldn’t the authors be better served by having the negative posts followed by a reasonable answer that explains the situation in a positive light?

MCME: “A good con man takes a little bit of truth and a lot of lies and pulls the wool over the eyes of the ignorant.”
PA: “Pulitzer Prize winner joins Publish America.” The author in question didn’t win a Pulitzer Prize. The newspaper he worked for at the time won the prize, and it was a prize for Public Service, not one of the literary prizes. Also, he didn’t write the stories that earned the prize.

PA claims to have partnered with the New York Times. By that, they mean they took out an ad in the New York Times. The purpose of the ad was to convince authors to buy their own books so that they’d have them on hand for the sales rush that PA was telling them they would experience after the ad hit.

MCME: Encourage separation from their family.
“Your friends and family probably won’t understand.”
“It doesn’t sound like your friends and family really love you if they don’t support your new decision.”
“If you can’t recruit your friends, cut off from them.”
“Stop wasting time with non-believers.”

MCME: Make them feel a part of a special elite group with an important mission. Tighten your group’s bond by establishing scapegoats and enemies. Demonize outsiders as less than human, biased, corrupt, or conspiring against the group. Develop an us-vs.-them mentality.
PA and its authors call critics “bashers” and claim they’re jealous. Why would any author published by a real publisher be jealous of a PA author? Is it the PA author’s average 75 sales, compared to 5,000+ sales for the author with a real publisher? Is it the poor editing, the clip-art cover, or the total lack of bookstore presence? What, exactly, would we envy?

So, there you go. Anybody who says PA works like a cult is not exaggerating.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
MCME: Control Information. Keep them from knowing all the workings of the cult.
PA doesn’t provide a phone number. They refuse to share exact sales figures. They don’t always sign their communications, hiding individual identity behind the corporate mask. They don’t allow accountants to review sales figures. In fact, they even refused to bring supporting documentation to a courtroom when it would have helped them in a legal argument. /quote]

If that's true, how did they manage to avoid contempt of court? If a subpoena duces tecum was served to them, and I hope to hell it was, refusing to answer it is guaranteed CoC.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That video (actually I think more than one version of it) is also on youtube, and it's always amazing to read the comments (I see THIS site has many comments on it as well), some of them along the lines of "Oh my God, that's SO MUCH like the church I grew up in!!!" It's really interesting to see how many churches, religious groups, multi-level marketing groups, and whatnot people say the video is about, yet it doesn't mention ANY group by name except for a fictional "E-merge" group. A group that succeeds at convincing people of things outside the norms of society naturally develops many of the same techniques that other such groups use. The "Mileu Control" (making it essentially a "multimedia" experience, even if it's low-tech: having group messages on posters on the walls as well as being spoken - it's all about what the group says), the repettition of dogma, the double-messages of "we welcome all your questions, please don't hesitate to ask us anything" versus "I don't know about you, but before I could learn anything in here I had to sit down, shut up and listen..."

Not that I've ever had any experience with any such group... ahem... Geez, you almost got me started, and look what time it is...

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
If that's true, how did they manage to avoid contempt of court? If a subpoena duces tecum was served to them, and I hope to hell it was, refusing to answer it is guaranteed CoC
You'd have to ask the arbitrator in the Phil Dolan case. It wasn't my decision.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If that's true, how did they manage to avoid contempt of court? If a subpoena duces tecum was served to them, and I hope to hell it was, refusing to answer it is guaranteed CoC.

I think the arbitration clause in the contract is designed to help them avoid exactly this.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
A subpoena duces tecum is used to force someone to turn over all sorts of financial records for scrutiny. In some jurisdictions it's an automatic part of discovery; in others it isn't. In California you can serve one for arbitration.

overfiend

Registered
Reaction score
MCME: Acts like a pyramid scam
PA knows that with your book out, your family and friends will be surely buying but wait since you are a proud author now, you will market to the world for them to make money.Too bad you don't know about Lulu .com

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding subpoena duces tecum.

Both parties in arbitration submit their requests for discovery to the Arbitrator (if they have any). In my case I requested specific pieces of information pertaining to the sales records for my books. Subpoenas can be issued by the Arbitrator for witnesses and I believe also for necessary records, but that's not a guarantee they will appear if they are not affiliated with the party involved in the dispute.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding subpoena duces tecum.

Both parties in arbitration submit their requests for discovery to the Arbitrator (if they have any). In my case I requested specific pieces of information pertaining to the sales records for my books. Subpoenas can be issued by the Arbitrator for witnesses and I believe also for necessary records, but that's not a guarantee they will appear if they are not affiliated with the party involved in the dispute.

Discovery & a subpoena duces tecum are two different things. Usually the aggrieved party issues them, not an arbitrator.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
I've got one for you...

I changed the following cult piece with the words "cult" and "guru" to "PA" and look what happens....bolding mine!

I've bolded what I feel applies to PA, wow there are a lot of them!

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult_q0.html

It's a good list. But I must take exception with :Suspension of Disbelief.

If you read the PAMB, you'll see loads of people suspending their disbelief over their actual status in the writing world.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Arbitrations work a little differently than a regular court of law.