I need help with grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a correspondence course. These are some of the exercises that I need to submit. So please I need help from grammar exerperts thanks.

Question 2 : In the following paragraphs, find one example of each of the parts of the sentence listed below. Lable each example clearly. You will have a total of 16 items listed as examples.

a.Noun.
b.Relative pronoun
c.Article
d.Regular adjective
e.Pronominal adjective
f.Regular adverb
g.Preposition – single word
h.Preposition – group of words
I.Conjunction – single-word co-ordinate
j.Conjunction - subordinate
k.Verbal - gerund
l.Verbal - infinitive
m.Appositive
n.Expletive
o.Predicate - smiple
p.Complete subject

Taking a correspondence course involves a great amount of self-discipline on the part of the student.
When someone studies at home, there are always distractions to overcome: telephone calls from friends, favourite soap operas on TV, or sunny days beckoning outside the window. People who need to interact with their teacher on a daily basis may not wish to study a course on their own.

However, there are also definite advantages to studying “by mail.” A student may progress as rapidly as he or she wants to, instead of moving along at the same pace as a classroom full of people. A few missing high school credits can be picked up quickly, so the need to spend an extra year in school is eliminated. Instructors, or markers, are available to answer questions by telephone or e-mail.

Here are some of my answers: ( I'm having a tough time with this exercise... I need some help)

a.Noun. : home, window
b.Relative pronoun: who (?)
c.Article: a
d.Regular adjective: sunny (?)
e.Pronominal adjective: (?)
f.Regular adverb: quickly
g.Preposition – single word : on (the part of the student) from (friends)
h.Preposition – group of words: full of , on the part of (?)
I.Conjunction – single-word co-ordinate: (?)
j.Conjunction – subordinate: (?)
k.Verbal – gerund : beckoning , taking, (?)
l.Verbal – infinitive: to spend, to answer, to study
m.Appositive: (?) (?)
n.Expletive: there (and it ) , there (are also)
o.Predicate – smiple: involves
p.Complete subject: (instructors, or markers ) (?)

How are my answers , and what would be the missing ones.... thanks

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Do you know, I really don't have a clue. But if I were taking the course, I would check in my textbook--or whatever they've given you--and research the answers. Don't have a textbook? Research on the internet or go to the library. You won't learn an awful lot by getting others to do your homework.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you paid for the course, so if you want to get value for money and actually learn something, you're going to have to do the work yourself. Yes, I could look up the answers for you (and the grammar gurus who frequent the board could give you the answers right off the tops of their heads) but that would be doing you no favours.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Are we supposed to do his homework for him? Some people are really without shame.

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
I anwsered as much as i could... I just need help... I know i could identify these parts of speach. I just find these Paragraph difficult.. i need some help. thats all

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let me see. Parts-of-speech theory isn't my favourite grammar theory, so I may be a bit off on some of the terms. But here's what I think about what you've done so far. Take with a pinch of salt.

Yes. No surprise there.

b.Relative pronoun: who (?)

Yes. Relative pronouns introduce relative clauses.

Yes

d.Regular adjective: sunny (?)

Yes.

e.Pronominal adjective: (?)

Take the phrase: "his dog". Here, "his" is a "pronominal adjective".

Yes.

g.Preposition – single word : on (the part of the student) from (friends)

Yes. (Although if you're going to use "on the part of" in (h) I wouldn't use the "on" here; just to simplify matters)

h.Preposition – group of words: full of , on the part of (?)

I don't understand what they want from you, here. Perhaps they're thinking of multiple-word compounds that function as a single preposition? It's a bit dodgy territory.

For example, I'd instinctively grant you "on the part of", whereas I'd dispute "full of" (as to be full of something is a state in itself, whereas to be "on the part of something" is no state of itself). But that's just me. Without a clear reference I can't help you with this one.

I.Conjunction – single-word co-ordinate: (?)

I'm not sure what the "single-word" above means, but a co-ordinating conjunctions joins sentences elements of equal importance. The star players are "and" and "or" (look I used one!)

j.Conjunction – subordinate: (?)

Subordinate conjunctions subordinate one element to another. "Because" is a good example: [Fact] because [reason].

k.Verbal – gerund : beckoning , taking, (?)

In parts of speech theory a gerund is a verbal noun. "Taking" is one, but beckoning isn't, as it's just what the sun does outside the window.

Yes. (Unless there's some theoretical stuff about "verbal" I'm missing)

m.Appositive: (?) (?)

An appositive is a noun phrase that renames another noun phrase. It's set off by commas. So in "Instructors, or markers," "or markers" is an appositive, if instructors and markers are the same persons.

Yes

o.Predicate – smiple: involves

Yes.

p.Complete subject: (instructors, or markers ) (?)

Yes.

Again, parts-of-speech theory isn't exactly my favourite theory ("pronominal adjective" is, IMO, an intellectual abomination that shouldn't be taught anywhere on the planet), so it's possible that I'm off on a few of these terms. To boot, part-of-speech theories often name different parts of speech: for example, I've seen people have a separate part of speech for articles, while others class articles as adjectives. So, since I don't have access to your course material, I can't be exactly sure what terms you use. (The above aren't all "parts of speech", either. "Complete Subject" is a sentence slot, not a part of speech. So is appositive.)

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I anwsered as much as i could... I just need help... I know i could identify these parts of speach. I just find these Paragraph difficult.. i need some help. thats all

Huxley, presumably there are course notes or a textbook or something that you are supposed to use to help you? Try looking there first.

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
Huxley, presumably there are course notes or a textbook or something that you are supposed to use to help you? Try looking there first.

understand that I only use grammar forums as a last resort. I don't really have anywhere to turn for english help. that text book is very vague. There's not enough exercises.... if i did more exercises, quizes, and tests , I know I'd learn better. I tried to find quizes and exercises on the net... ( but I should try harder to find some ... I work to much and don't have alot of free time)

i wish i could call an english professor, but as a corresspondence course, I don't have any help, no email , or phone calls... it's just one scrap book,, looks like it was made it 1991.

so thats why I'm on sites like these. To ask for some help. I just want to learn english, I'm not asking people to do home work... when I'm stuck , i ask for help. this is a time that I'm stuck.

for the people that helped....Thanks

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
May I suggest that you use everything you write as an exercise--including your posts here? Make sure that, to the best of your ability, you always use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. For instance, you must know that all sentences begin with capital letters and the word "I" is always capped, so make sure you always follow those rules. "Text-speak" has a lot to answer for! Here's an exercise I'm setting for you: copy your post above and correct everything you can in it. We'll tell you if you're right or wrong, and the grammar gurus will probably tell you why.

If you don't think the text provided by your course is very good, then get another one. There is a thread on this board listing a number of good grammar primers. I don't know if you live in a country where English is not the first language or in a town without a good book store or library, but if you do, you can order from Amazon.

You may have signed up for a course that isn't really that good. That's a shame. Think of ways you can augment your learning. Read newspapers and magazines that are known for good writing; most are available over the internet. You may not always recognize the parts of speech by name, but you will learn to tell what is correct and what is not. You'll develop an ear for it, the same as a piano tuner develops an ear for an out-of-tune key.

Last edited:

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
after having some help this is what I wrote for answers...

b.Relative pronoun: who
d.Regular adjective: sunny
e.Pronominal adjective: their
g.Preposition – single word : on, from
h.Preposition – group of words: on the part of/instead of
I.Conjunction – single-word co-ordinate: so, and, or
j.Conjunction – subordinate: when (-is this one correct?)
k.Verbal – gerund : taking/studying
m.Appositive: telephone calls from friends, favourite soap operas (-and this one?)
o.Predicate – smiple: involves a great amount of self discipline
p.Complete subject: Taking a correspondence course (-and this one? is it correct ?)

thanks

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The course seems far from basic or simple to me - I doubt I would answer all those questions correctly.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In a way, who cares what they're called? I don't even remember what I had for breakfast. As long as you know how to use them...

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
funny-pictures-angry-cat-questions-lolspeak.jpg

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.