PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Dream Vacation?

joyce
03-02-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd love to have the time and money to take about eight weeks off and drive across the country towards Montana. I want to camp along the way so I can really see the the places I visit. Once in Montana I'd love to go on a horseback riding adventure to further experience the place. I've never been there, but it just looks so darn inviting to me. How about you?

eldragon
03-02-2008, 01:21 AM
I guess I already had mine - back in 1996 my husband and I went to Tahiti for a week.

That proved hard to beat, but since then we've been to Europe and on a Mexican cruise, amongst other places.

I would like to have a good month to spend in beautiful places like GREECE and Italy.

And maybe an Alaska cruise someday.

William Haskins
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
the tomb.

JLCwrites
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Any place that is all inclusive. I don't want to plan, or worry about paying for anything. (I do enough of that at home!) Someplace where I can relax and be spoiled. :)

Siddow
03-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I already had it: all expenses paid trip to Las Vegas, everything (I mean EVERYTHING) included, from flight to hotel to meals to show tickets to gambling money.

Oh, and another one I already had: sailing around the Bahamas on a private sailboat. That one cost me about $200 in airfare, though. :)

Oh, another one: camping by the beach with my kids, and sitting with them to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic ocean. Been there, done that, too.

Drive cross-country! Oops, did that, too.

C'mon, Joyce, go to Montana! Look for one of those 'working vacation' packages, where you can be a ranch hand! That'd be cool. And probably cheap, too, since you'd work off your room and board. :)

GO! If not now, when?

joyce
03-02-2008, 01:32 AM
C'mon, Joyce, go to Montana! Look for one of those 'working vacation' packages, where you can be a ranch hand! That'd be cool. And probably cheap, too, since you'd work off your room and board. :)

GO! If not now, when?

I'd probably never leave the ranch. Actually, I'm hoping in the next couple of years to have life together enough to do this. :)

Sarita
03-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Paris is always my standard answer for vacation. I would so love to go again in May when the gardens are a-bloom and the skies drizzle a little at night. I'm also eager to visit the Mediterranean, anywhere: South of France, Majorca, Cyprus.

Right now though, I'm just dreaming of somewhere a little warmer than here, sharing a king sized bed with my guy, and ordering room service. :) I don't ask for much.

joyce
03-02-2008, 01:43 AM
the tomb.
:roll:

DWSTXS
03-02-2008, 01:43 AM
A cruise.
Sitting on the deck in the shade, looking out over the ocean. seeing a whale and some porpoise playing. Sipping on a drink, and writing. Later, heading to the free buffet. Of course, I'll bring my thanksgiving pants along. LOL

Susie
03-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Great question. When we moved to Florida, howie said that was our permanent vacation and we haven't gone anyway since. Boy, was I duped. lol. My favorite though would have to be Hawaii, any island there.

eldragon
03-02-2008, 01:59 AM
A cruise.
Sitting on the deck in the shade, looking out over the ocean. seeing a whale and some porpoise playing. Sipping on a drink, and writing. Later, heading to the free buffet. Of course, I'll bring my thanksgiving pants along. LOL

That, to me, was the worst thing about the cruise we went on: the never ending food.

It was all sit-down service and the food was good, but I got so sick of eating!

When we went to Tahiti, it was Club Med, which was all inclusive. Also a wonderful thing.

JoNightshade
03-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Joyce - when I was in high school, my parents and I camped (and hoteled when we needed a shower...) from our home in California, up through Oregon, Washinton, Idaho, and into Montana. One of the best trips of my life. We all fell in love with Montana, "big sky country." It's gorgeous. GO.

My dream vacation? Gosh. My dream vacation is always to visit somewhere new, somewhere completely different I've never been before. So far I've been to:
- Washington DC
- The UK
- Prague and a few other places in the Czech Republic
- Italy
- China (all over the Shandong province, Beijing, and Dunhuang and Lanzhou in the northwest - Gobi desert)

I think my next trip is going to be Jerusalem, to tour the holy land with my mom and some of her friends from church. She's planning that for 2009.

Wherever I go, I like to do it "authentically." I don't like tour groups or packages and I hate cruises. :) I like to blend in and live like the locals as far as it's possible, explore on my own, etc. Of course I kinda stuck out in China, but I actually did live there. :)

joyce
03-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Great question. When we moved to Florida, howie said that was our permanent vacation and we haven't gone anyway since. Boy, was I duped. lol. My favorite though would have to be Hawaii, any island there.

LOL My husband says all the time we live in Paradise. I admit where I live is fantastic but I like to see different things. I guess that's why when I plan our camping trips I go north. I then get to see something different than palm trees, palm trees, palm trees. Give me some deep woods, a mountain anything but the beach. I know that sounds sad....I think I've lived on the beach too long and don't appreciate it.

williemeikle
03-02-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm in the middle of mine... spending six months in Canada travelling around and getting some writing done during the wintery bits.... :)

Willie

JoeEkaitis
03-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Attainable: A week in a house on the shore of Lake Tahoe.

After I'm rich and famous: A week in Ivrea, Italy to revel in the architecture left behind by Olivetti. Side trip to Venice for the same reason.

Mandy-Jane
03-02-2008, 02:40 AM
An around-the-world cruise. Dream vacation. Dream lifestyle.

Sarita
03-02-2008, 02:41 AM
An around-the-world cruise. Dream vacation. Dream lifestyle.
On a Cunard ship. In the Penthouse. :)

JoNightshade
03-02-2008, 02:43 AM
After I'm rich and famous: A week in Ivrea, Italy to revel in the architecture left behind by Olivetti. Side trip to Venice for the same reason.

Okay, now that's just weird. Not the Italy part, the Olivetti part. Seriously. ;)

DWSTXS
03-02-2008, 02:43 AM
On a Cunard ship. In the Penthouse. :)

Where do I sign up for this? LOL

Silver King
03-02-2008, 03:14 AM
...My husband says all the time we live in Paradise...
Isn't it strange how when you live in Florida, so many folks from up north really believe you live in paradise? I can imagine what some people from Montana must be thinking now: She wants to leave Florida to come here, to visit Montana? Is she crazy? Boy, what I'd give to be in Florida right now!

I don't like to travel, so there's nowhere I want to go and no place I'd rather be than right here where my butt is parked. :)

WendyNYC
03-02-2008, 03:23 AM
I've done a decent amount of travelling, but right now I'm dying to go to Argentina and Uruguay. The flight is just too long for my kids and I don't like long trips without them. Maybe in a couple of years.

joyce
03-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Isn't it strange how when you live in Florida, so many folks from up north really believe you live in paradise? I can imagine what some people from Montana must be thinking now: She wants to leave Florida to come here, to visit Montana? Is she crazy? Boy, what I'd give to be in Florida right now!
:)

Actually I was thinking about this when I was writing this post. I knew there would be people thinking I was crazy to dream of going to Montana. I live a block from the ocean on a barrier island that still isn't over populated. I really live in paradise but I've lived in paradise my whole life. Give me the woods, mountains, a trout stream and I'd feel like I was in paradise. :D

Appalachian Writer
03-02-2008, 05:29 AM
My first choice is a long visit to the Holy Land. However, I've also dreamed of taking the castle tour of Ireland. Maybe... *she gulps as she writes, pauses, then presses on*WHEN I become a best-selling author, I can afford one or both of these options!

TrainofThought
03-02-2008, 05:49 AM
I’d love to spend a few months in a secluded Italian villa in the mountains.

Zelenka
03-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Ideal holiday - Venice for the carnival with some tall, handsome bloke in tow.

Might well be going to Venice next year for my 30th / Graduation, don't know about the other parts though. ;)

ErylRavenwell
03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Scotland in summer and southern France, provence, in spring.

Here is rural provence. This place is a dream; a photo looks like an oil painting.

http://momappeal.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/provence-pic.jpg

http://www.fourseasons.com/images/generated/property/provence/landing_pages/basics_welcome.jpg

KarlaErikaCal
03-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Honeymooning after my boyfriend and I decide to get married. I don't know where yet, but I got my sights in Europe.

I know, I'm 16, almost 17 in five days [WOO HOO! RATED R MOVIES! just kidding :D]. But hey, can't tear apart true love, right? :LilLove:

The tough part is knowing he'll be 200 miles away from me when he goes off to college in the fall. Then if I go to U of Iowa next fall we'll be even farther apart... Oh the woes of long distance relationships...

Make it or break it. We agreed; we're going to make it.

-Karla (heels over head in love)

nancy sv
03-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I've done a decent amount of travelling, but right now I'm dying to go to Argentina and Uruguay. The flight is just too long for my kids and I don't like long trips without them. Maybe in a couple of years.

We lived in Ethiopia when my twins were small - a 35-hour journey from doorstep to doorstep. We did it for the first time when the boys were 6 weeks old, then again at 5 months, again at 7 months, and every year until they were 4 1/2. Long flights with kids really aren't that big of a deal... (In other words - DO IT!!!)

As for me - my ideal vacation would be to ride my bike around the world. I'll be taking off in three months for half of that anyway!

Sarita
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Long flights with kids really aren't that big of a deal... (In other words - DO IT!!!)So true! Finn is such a trooper on flights. We started him young and have maintained our travels. He is in LOVE with airplanes and has been a gem even on our longest flight (8 hours) despite connections and airport time. On our trip home from Ireland in November when he was 15 months old, a fellow passenger sitting behind us actually thanked us when we were exiting the plane. He said he didn't even hear a peep out of him the whole flight. He exaggerated, but still. Babies can travel!

Side note: Nancy, you have to read Road Fever by Tim Cahill. It's not about bicycling, but a totally worthwhile read for anyone who likes a road trip. :)

Elaine Margarett
03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
My hubby and I are leaving Tuesday for a second honeymoon (25th wedding annivsery)! It's our first vacation in 10 years. He said he didn't care where we went as long as it was warm and there was a beach. Since I started my job with the military I work almost exclusively with Puerto Ricans. I'd always asked about the island and their homelife etc. Long story short, my very good friend (a young PR man, 1/2 my age, LOL) found out about our proposed trip to PR and asked if he could accompany us with his girlfriend so he could show us around.

We're spending two days in Old San Juan; two days in Aguadilla (west side of the island) and four blissful days on the tiny island of Culebra, known as the lost virgin of the Virgin Islands. (It's 17 miles from Puerto Rico but on 12 miles from St. Thomas.) Then it's back to San Juan and home.

Right now the temp in PR is in the 80's / low's in the 70's! Much better than the 30 degress we have right now!

EM

JoeEkaitis
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Okay, now that's just weird. Not the Italy part, the Olivetti part. Seriously. ;)I like to think of it as an industrial ghost town. In the middle of Italian farm country is an city block that was once a bustling office machine factory and down the street, a pair of palatial office buildings. Walking distance from there is the workers' housing complex dug into the earth and nicknamed Talponia (Mole City).
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/336176447_fa5575cb3f.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1284/684199350_e940bfcc91.jpg

Although Olivetti occupies only a little of Ivrea and the rest of the office space is rented to other companies, the entire town has become an open-air architectural museum.

StephanieFox
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
not in any particular order:

1) Trans-Siberian Express

2) Bali

3) Yurts in the Gobi

4) The Silk Road

5) Antarctica (one day)

6) More Israel/Jordan

5)Hong Kong

4) More Turkey/Greece

3) Italy

2) Thailand

1) Chile

MoonWriter
03-03-2008, 01:09 AM
A month long trip to Europe for the family. I have it all planned out. We arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. Then, five minutes before boarding, I have a sudden attack of cramps and have to go to the bathroom. Upon my return, I find that my wife and kids are on the plane, the doors have been closed and there's nothing I can do except wait for them to return. Now that's my idea of an ideal vacation!

Elaine Margarett
03-03-2008, 03:09 AM
A month long trip to Europe for the family. I have it all planned out. We arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. Then, five minutes before boarding, I have a sudden attack of cramps and have to go to the bathroom. Upon my return, I find that my wife and kids are on the plane, the doors have been closed and there's nothing I can do except wait for them to return. Now that's my idea of an ideal vacation!

LOL. It does sound appealing!

EM

joyce
03-03-2008, 04:54 AM
:roll:

Thanks everyone for sharing your dream trips. I must admit some of them sound quite exciting.