Chronicling my rejections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
On Monday, I'm gonna go to walmart and find a cute and bright shiny binder for myself, and some of those plastic sheet protectors. I'm going to bind my rejection letters in chronological order. And one day, with luck, I'll be able to also add my first request for a partial/full, and my first offer for representation, and then each rejection letter from the publishers, and then the notes from the editors, and then a copy of my contract.

Wow. I have a feeling it's going to be a long road.

But hey. If I successfully publish a novel, one day I can show this binder to my kids as an example of why they shouldn't give up on their dreams. (Yeah, that wasn't corny as hell...)

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
...as all hell, in fact. But I love it.

'Tis a long and lonely road we face; helps to come across a fellow passer-by now and then. Be sure, if you get where you're going -- and we cross paths -- I'll be asking for all sorts of directions.

How's that for corny?

Lyx

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Good idea! When you become published, on the best sellers list for a year...send all those rejections back to the agents (along with the clippings showing your place on the NY Times best sellers list and a listing of all your awards etc), and write them a note that says "nyah nah nah na na nahhhhh! See ya! Wouldn't wanna BE ya! Smell ya, shouldn't have ta tell ya!"

heh heh heh

Childish. I know. But fun anyway.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't seem too weird. (Come on, you all know I'm just a little "off.") When I finally come up with an adequate hook and send out my queries, I intend to use the rejections, torn into strips, for decoupage.

Maryn, who will log them first--she's weird, not stupid

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I was on the best seller's list for three years in fact.

But then I woke up. I would have gone back to sleep but it was almost 7 and I had to get to work... :(

Good idea! When you become published, on the best sellers list for a year...send all those rejections back to the agents (along with the clippings showing your place on the NY Times best sellers list and a listing of all your awards etc), and write them a note that says "nyah nah nah na na nahhhhh!"

LOL

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure you can still read them once the decoupage dries. And make it into book rack for your novel =D

I hope this doesn't seem too weird. (Come on, you all know I'm just a little "off.") When I finally come up with an adequate hook and send out my queries, I intend to use the rejections, torn into strips, for decoupage.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com

I will have all of my cut into 6 in wide strips, then pasted together, end to end, then rolled, and I will have T P enough for a couple years.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
lulu.com prints your rejection letters onto toilet paper, but it costs $90. Hello, we're getting REJECTIONS, can we afford $90 butt paper? I know I can't.

I will have all of my cut into 6 in wide strips, then pasted together, end to end, then rolled, and I will have T P enough for a couple years.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
lulu.com prints your rejection letters onto toilet paper, but it costs $90. Hello, we're getting REJECTIONS, can we afford $90 butt paper? I know I can't.

You will be able to after your novel hits the best-seller lists and stays there for 3 months.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I have a folder full of mine. I lugged them from the States to the Middle East, where they sat for three years until I lugged them to Canada. I still can't bring myself to read them again.

Maybe after I've been published I'll soak them in water, spin them in a blender and press them flat to make new paper. Then I'll write nice letters to agents and editors on them. :2angel:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
If I ever wrote an autobiography, I'd use my rejection letters as the covers, pasted about all willy-nilly.

I have a folder full of mine. I lugged them from the States to the Middle East, where they sat for three years until I lugged them to Canada. I still can't bring myself to read them again.

Maybe after I've been published I'll soak them in water, spin them in a blender and press them flat to make new paper. Then I'll write nice letters to agents and editors on them. :2angel:

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I've seen published (or soon-to-be) writers post some of their rejection letters on their blogs. I wish I had thought of that. I checked the rejecting agent's name off the list, deleted the e-mail, and moved on.

To be honest, I didn't get many rejections... and I hope you don't either!

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I've had 11 rejections. But within 12 hours of sending out the revised query with my first five pages, I've received three partial requests, so I am hoping at least one of them will ultimately lead to an offer! None of my rejections were very interesting--just "dear author" forms mostly. A couple of the agents I equeried addressed me by name, but it was still a form.

I've seen published (or soon-to-be) writers post some of their rejection letters on their blogs. I wish I had thought of that. I checked the rejecting agent's name off the list, deleted the e-mail, and moved on.

To be honest, I didn't get many rejections... and I hope you don't either!

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I've had 11 rejections. But within 12 hours of sending out the revised query with my first five pages, I've received three partial requests, so I am hoping at least one of them will ultimately lead to an offer! None of my rejections were very interesting--just "dear author" forms mostly. A couple of the agents I equeried addressed me by name, but it was still a form.

Mine were like that, too. Nothing exciting.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I am truly hoping for representation offers to come from my manuscript. But if I receive a no, after mailing out 50 pages, I really hope there are some personalized comments.

Mine were like that, too. Nothing exciting.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Drawer of Shame. My paper rejections get logged in and dropped in there. Some are for short stories and some from queries past.

Status
Not open for further replies.