Registered
Reaction score
Do you tip the owner of the hair salon?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Do you tip the owner of the hair salon?

Only if the owner is the one who did the hairdo. Tip the hairdresser/stylist who did your hair, yes.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I go to a one-woman salon, she's the owner and the hairdresser, so yes. I do. Quite well. And we gossip about everyone in town.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
In my ignorance, I once asked this question of the owner of a hair salon. She was doing my hair at the time, and I must say, I quivered in the chair. She began a rant about the myth of not-tipping the owner. According to her (and BTW she did do an excellent job on my hair) if the owner does your hair, she deserves a tip just like any other hair dresser.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Barbers who own their own shops and cut men's hair deserve a tip as well.

My barber/shop owner could cut my hair in five minutes, but he stretches the job into a half hour affair, waving his arms erratically while telling lewd stories that keep me riveted to the chair, praying that he won't poke my eyes out with those long scissors. His talent for hair cutting is average, but he can tell a yarn that keeps me transfixed just long enough to over tip him.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, like others said, tip the owner if she/he does your hair. My mom, who lives on Social Security, tips everybody. The hairstylist, shampoo girl, the bus driver, the clerk who carries out her bags, the assistant who cuts her toenails, the mail lady,the one who delivers her newspaper, the bus driver when he helps her off the bus, and she even asked the teller at a bank who helped her if he would take $5! He said no. You'd think she was rich.:)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yuppers.....if they cut they get tipped. Same with the nail gal, or the toe gal.( Eyebrow gal also......lol) Whoever does a service and does it well gets a tip.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The owner of a salon I go to is the best stylist in the place and in much demand.
A 'do' by her costs a bit more, but she refuses to take tips.
The receptionist always reminds the customers ahead of time -discreetly- not to offer the owner a tip.

ETA: But in the absence of such a policy, I would tip the hairdresser and shampoo person, always.

Last edited:

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
My mom never tips. I'll leave something for whoever cut our hair when she's not looking. Or should I tell her? In fact, I can't remember one time I saw other people tip....

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Hairdressers, bartenders, waiters and so on depend on their tips.
They are paid barely the minimum wage.
You should educate your mother about the 'facts of life', financially speaking.

ETA: I've found the best tippers are people in service-type positions, who have had to work for tips themselves. They know how hard it is, and are generous in showing their appreciation for a thankless job.

Last edited:

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Barbers who own their own shops and cut men's hair deserve a tip as well.

My barber/shop owner could cut my hair in five minutes, but he stretches the job into a half hour affair, waving his arms erratically while telling lewd stories that keep me riveted to the chair, praying that he won't poke my eyes out with those long scissors. His talent for hair cutting is average, but he can tell a yarn that keeps me transfixed just long enough to over tip him.

I realize that this is a bizarre request, but could you please take a video of that and post it. I believe it would fulfill so many of my needs just now.

Thanks bunches

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My mom never tips. I'll leave something for whoever cut our hair when she's not looking. Or should I tell her? In fact, I can't remember one time I saw other people tip....

On behalf of service people everywhere: We hate your mother. :)

Off topic, but when I was waiting tables, I had someone stiff me on a credit card, and they took my pen! I followed her out to the parking lot and requested my pen back, claiming that I didn't make enough money to buy a new one. She had to dig in her purse for it, and looked at me like I was the rude one.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
ETA: I've found the best tippers are people in service-type positions, who have had to work for tips themselves. They know how hard it is, and are generous in showing their appreciation for a thankless job.

Yup. This is a constant argument between my mother and I. When we go out to eat, I always add a few dollars to whatever she tries to leave (which is almost always ONE DOLLAR, regardless of quality of service). She only tried to pick it up the first time; my long lecture on trying to get by on waitressing wages cured her. She still tips low, but at least now she keeps quiet when I tip high. ;)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you all for your advice. I did indeed tip the owner and the person who did my shampoo/color ... and now I have a new Euro modified shag covering my scalp - it was indeed worth it!

PS: Visiting the owner was pricier than the other stylists, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.