Eeep! Help with quotation punctuation within dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
"I've always understood that 'quotes within dialogue' are set off by single quotation marks," said the bewildered AW member.

In the chapter I'm working on, a character is overheard trying to memorize lines for a production of MacBeth.

In canon, the line reads as follows:

..............................Or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?

But the character is having difficulty and has switched two words. The dialogue reads as follows with single quotes for Will's words:

" '… Or art thou but a dagger of the mind, a false proceeding created from the heat … created from the…' Blast! That's not it. 'Or art thou but
a dagger of the mind, a false … a false' … what is the bloody word?"

But I'm wondering, since he's actually memorizing the lines rather than quoting them and hasn't gotten them correct, if I should just get rid of the singles altogether.

" … Or art thou but a dagger of the mind, a false proceeding created from the heat … created from the… Blast! That's not it. Or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false … a false … what is the bloody word?"

Help!

Last edited:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Since the quote is incorrect and your character has muddled the words, I think dropping the singles would work just fine!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Macbeth, not MacBeth.

As for your actual question, I'm not sure what I'd do. I see your dilemma.

The thing is that when you get it published, they will change it to whatever the "house style" is anyway, so it's not worth losing sleep over. Either choice is logically defensible.

Have you seen Slings and Arrows? My husband and I are watching it now, and I am falling in love with Shakespeare yet again. Also Paul Gross (for the first time).

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Arrrggghhh! My own personal Scottish play curse strikes again. Perhaps I should choose a quote from Titus instead.

I love Slings and Arrows - a good friend turned me on to it. "You've worked with every character in this show," is what she told me. And she was right.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I'd say that the fact he's got it muddled is irrelevant. The point of the quotation marks is to indicate that the character believes himself to be quoting. I think I'd leave the single quotes in to distinguish between his lines and his own speech.

diamondblast

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
"I've always understood that 'quotes within dialogue' are set off by single quotation marks," said the bewildered AW member.

In the chapter I'm working on, a character is overheard trying to memorize lines for a production of MacBeth.

In canon, the line reads as follows:

..............................Or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?

But the character is having difficulty and has switched two words. The dialogue reads as follows with single quotes for Will's words:

" '… Or art thou but a dagger of the mind, a false proceeding created from the heat … created from the…' Blast! That's not it. 'Or art thou but
a dagger of the mind, a false … a false' … what is the bloody word?"

But I'm wondering, since he's actually memorizing the lines rather than quoting them and hasn't gotten them correct, if I should just get rid of the singles altogether.

" … Or art thou but a dagger of the mind, a false proceeding created from the heat … created from the… Blast! That's not it. Or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false … a false … what is the bloody word?"

Help!

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography." -That's interesting.... Food for thought (for me at least), btw I found this two sites i+am+a+tool foam+free+neckties,very interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
What you are doing is stating what your character is saying. So, just put your character's dialogue in quotes. No need to either quote or misquote Shakespear in separate quote marks - which is very confusing.

The reader is listening to the speech you have given your character. It's as simple as that.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Drop the single quotes. Clarity is the key here. Obviously, he's trying to memorize the lines and not quoting it. Just plain dialogue would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.