Dedicating your story and other such thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hmm . . . tricky situation.

I think the safest bet is to generalise in the thank yous. I had several friends who specifically helped me with my book, but when it came time for thank yous in the acknowledgements, I knew if I singled them out I could hurt some of my other friends. So I did a generic friends and family statement, which was totally heart felt of course, but also didn't offend anyone (and made sure that those specific friends knew who they were by telling them in person).

You don't need to thank your mother specifically, but I think, in order to avoid further strife and just annoyingness, you're best to just say thanks to family and leave it at that.

But do keep the dedication as is. No one could begrudge you that privilege.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
You don't need to thank your mother specifically, but I think, in order to avoid further strife and just annoyingness, you're best to just say thanks to family and leave it at that.
I agree. That was going to be my suggestion too. It's far less stressful than trying to explain to your mother why she was left out.
Linnea

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Tomo, not to be discouraging, but you're probably a bit premature with this concern. Haven't you just begun your agent search? That can easily take a year or more. After that, the agent will have to find a publisher. That takes more time. Then there's the editing process. Don't stress over issues that aren't in the here and now. Take one thing at a time. First things first.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Don't borrow trouble--if you sell the book tomorrow (or Monday, I suppose), it'll be nine months at least before you have to make this decision.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. Also, you don't need to dedicate your book to anyone. Lots of people don't. if you have people you need to thank, you'll have the opportunity in your acknowledgments page, and you can always stick to people who helped with specific items.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most bridges are best crossed when they're reached.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Bufty. What I always say is; 'I'll burn that bridge when I reach it.'

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
I'm facing this issue now...and I procrastinated...and it is the last item due to my publisher. I am a workhorse, and met the deadlines, but I can't seem to write this one page. There are simply too many people to thank, I'm afraid I'll look like a louse if I forget someone and it's my father, not my mother, that I don't feel compelled to acknowledge in the book. It just wouldn't be fair to all of the people living and dead who really did help me publish my book. So for those who say "don't worry about it until you get a publisher" it still doesn't make the problem go away. I have a call with the publisher in two days and I'm hoping a deadline will force the clarity that I need.

Tomothecat, I feel for you.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
i've seen plenty of dedications that are to one specific parent. it shouldn't be a big issue

Status
Not open for further replies.