I am POed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I was on Yahoo Answers today and I asked "What are the benefits and disadvantages of having a double major?"
Then I went on to say, I want to have a BA in English and Communication, then have an MA in Creative Writing
This one person said:

"I'm going to be a little brutal here. An MA in English isn't worth much. English majors are at the bottom every year of college graduate average salaries, and Comm isn't much better. I'd go so far as to say those are the two "most worthless" college majors.

If you get an MA in English, you are going to be teaching high school, forever. There are a plethora of English majors with MA's and pHDs and they cannot get good jobs. Why? Because there are so many of them, and the practical experience of their learning is good for... teaching high school. The days of copy writing/traditional print advertising are dwindling.

I got a B.A. from the University of California in a similarly worthless field (political science), and it has been an equally worthless degree to me. I now work in a field that is completely unrelated to my major.

I would think about what you really want to do with your college degree, and think about what will actually earn you some money when you graduate so you can pay off those loans! I wish somebody had came to me and kicked me in the *** when I was doing poli sci "because it was interesting." That didn't get me anywhere in the job. I hated math, and I hate science, but if I could do it all over again, I would have done engineering as my major. Just something to think about..."

First of all.... not every English major goes on to teach. I've looked at a college site (I forgot which college it was) and most of their English majors didn't even pursue English careers at all. Some just take it so they can communicate better, that's what my reason would be at least (and the fact that I want to be an author).

What I don't understand is why diss on something others choose if it has nothing to do with you? Sure it is their opinion, but that person didn't even answer my question. I gave him or her a thumbs down. :rant:

This other girl told me that maybe I can major in English but have a concentration in communication, creative writing, or education. This answer I really liked because I didn't know about that.

But yeah, I felt like ranting, like I did on yahoo answers too about constructive criticism last summer. But hey, at least someone refered me to AW as a result.

This concludes my rant. I have officially calmed down now. Writing (well typing) things down gets a whole lot off of my chest/shoulders/back, whatever you get my point :D

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KC;
When you throw out a question to the snake pit, sometimes a viper strikes. There are always gonna be snooty a**holes. Give 'em the finger and rock on.

Rick

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
The moral of the story - don't look for answers anywhere other than AW. Personally I think you should drop out of school and become a professional ninja. I think that would be a fun occupation. And also sell Amway products by day to subsidize your ninja business until it gets off the ground.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The moral of the story - don't look for answers anywhere other than AW. Personally I think you should drop out of school and become a professional ninja. I think that would be a fun occupation. And also sell Amway products by day to subsidize your ninja business until it gets off the ground.

You're a genius!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JMHO (of course)

at least someone refered me to AW as a result.

That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for you even if you don't know it yet. :)

Why do people diss like that? Well, from hanging out here one thing I've learned is >>>> Sometimes it isn't WHAT you say as much as HOW you say it.

That person could have said the exact same thing but in a different manner and it wouldn't have bothered you a bit.

I have a degree in biology - that and five bucks might get me coffee at Starbucks.

What do you want your degree to do for you? Plumbers and electricians make big bucks and they don't usually get a degree at all. :Shrug:Go figure.

Motivation counts for a lot. As a matter of fact, IMO, ambition, motivation, and desire count for more than any and/or every degree you can get.

/soapbox off/

Good luck. Do what makes you happy. Don't let anyone steal your joy.
>''<

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I majored in Cinematography. I work in a design firm as an Office Admin and I am writing a novel.

When I was in school, and deciding whether I should finish that major or drop out, go to a diff school to change majors, which would take as many years as I had already been in school my boss at the time said something that helped a lot. It isn't so much what you major in but that you finish. He said it shows that you follow through. I finished my degree in cinema and I am glad.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score

Yupp AW is the place to be. I should have learned my lesson from the question that caused me to rant about constructive criticism last summer. But whatever, no more going on Y! Answers.
And no ninja business for me. But that made me smile

That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for you even if you don't know it yet. :)

I have known it. I absolutely freaking LOVE this site!! :D

Why do people diss like that? Well, from hanging out here one thing I've learned is >>>> Sometimes it isn't WHAT you say as much as HOW you say it.

That person could have said the exact same thing but in a different manner and it wouldn't have bothered you a bit.

True that. This is what I love about this site. People offer such helpful tips and encouraging words. I LOVE YA GUYS! :hooray:

Last edited:

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
The ironic thing about taking English as my major is that I do horrible in my high school english classes. Freshman year- 1st sem of Sophomore year I got B's. It was only 2nd sem of Soph year and 1st sem of Junior year I got A's. And as of 3rd quarter junior year I'm getting a B.

I write better fiction than essays. Boo hoo! :cry:I won't be good enough as an English Major!

Maybe I do have to rethink my options of majors I can take in college....

Oh the woes of college quickly approaching....

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, don't feel bad. And I didn't see his reply as a major dis... He was just generalizing his experience to the population at large - without really backing it up. People do that, don't stress. I've got a "worthless" major too. Psychology. As a computer systems engineer coming from RPI, I had a friend walk into 60K+ a year starting salary for a job he secured before he even got his diploma. So, yeah, if you want to make big bucks fast - engineering is the way to go. I'll never see that with just my undergraduate degree. But with graduate work, I'll do just fine for myself. I'm not worried about having a "worthless" major.

And neither should you. Chin up.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

Where you live and where you're willing to commute will affect the marketibility of you and your English/Communications degrees.

With that said, it is awfully hard to start your own professional ninja business. The worst part is getting the word out because ninjas tend to be quiet folk. Selling Amway products, or enjoying various pyramid schemes, can be very time consuming, and your ninja skills are likely to suffer in the interim. This may result in your reduced effectiveness as a ninja, and thereby sabotage your business model.

Best of luck if pursuing professional ninjahood is what you really want to do. we, here at AW, will certainly support you in your decision!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, although I think I've only asked 3 or 4 questions at Yahoo Answers, I answer questions there often, especially in the Books and Authors section. Somebody's got to counter the know-nothing replies, right?

There's an amazing number of people spouting misinformation there, and a sadly large number of people who don't know the most basic things about, well, anything. (I answer a lot of "am i pregnunt?" questions, too.)

Maryn, who recommends AW a lot

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I sometimes answer questions on Yahoo Answers, and it's amazing how many completely wrong answers I have seen people posting there.

I'm talking medical questions.

I mean, people who have no idea what they are talking about are giving medical advice.

And then there are the questions about sex. GEEZ.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a BA in English and I went on to have a pretty darn successful career in television and print advertising. I also know lots of people in Public Relations with BAs or MAs in English. Never did I consider teaching. It's just not my calling.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Most of the 'answers' I'v seen on Yahoo answers are from H S kids who have no idea what theyre talking about. The entire forum seems like just asking random people what they think about something.
It doesn't seem to be a place to get answers from experts who know what they're talking about.

Now, you take your average AW'er. IQ=159-188 great looking. suave. sexy. professional. interesting. fun.

See?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Now, you take youraverage AW'er. IQ=159-188 great looking. suave. sexy. professional. interesting. fun.

See?[/quote]

Wow - I am impressed. You *really* know us!

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Wow - I am impressed. You *really* know us!
Kate Thornton -

Of course I do. Aren't I your leader?
LOL

We ALL make our way through the world via AW.

And it's always great to be able to come back to the Mothership when we need to get away from the hordes of the great unwashed 'out there'

Last edited:

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, although I think I've only asked 3 or 4 questions at Yahoo Answers, I answer questions there often, especially in the Books and Authors section. Somebody's got to counter the know-nothing replies, right?

There's an amazing number of people spouting misinformation there, and a sadly large number of people who don't know the most basic things about, well, anything. (I answer a lot of "am i pregnunt?" questions, too.)

Maryn, who recommends AW a lot

I remember seeing you there Maryn. I asked you if I was "pregnunt" and you said absolutely!

Going to go watch Rabbit test now.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
hell you think you got problems-i have a masters in psychology and am a doctor of music and i still have a hell of a time pooing!

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite setion of Yahoo Answers is the section on STDs. Why on earth would you ask a question like that on a forum? Why not just go to the doctor?

The world is a strange and perplexing place, my friends.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
With all due respect to your choice of majors, I'd do some deep thinking before I invest in this graduate endeavor. I have an MA in English with a concentration in American Literature. I might fare better in career if I had an MFA in Creative Writing or something closely related, some kind of terminal degree. As of now, my career is that of an adjunct instructor at a small state university. I can't be hired full time here unless the university, itself, creates a "special purpose faculty" position, which is not necessarily long-term employment. Based on my efforts and research into the job market, jobs at junior college level (education, and the level I'm qualified to teach), there's no shortage of teachers wanting employment. In fact, there's a glut. If you're going to work toward a graduate degree in English, (and if I had it to do all over again) I'd work toward that PhD. True, an English major doesn't have to teach. If your goal is law school, you're set. If you're looking for a job in technical writing, an MA focus in technical will serve you well. But beyond those two things...the days when English majors got any level of respect are quickly retreating behind all the technology degrees. Even if you choose to go into the human resources aspect of industry, a degree in English is useless because these days you can get an MS in resource management. I don't like to be the wet blanket, but the ranting you read from Yahoo answers might very well have come from someone in my own position. I would never knowingly discourage an endeavor into furthering education, but I would advise you to think long and hard as to how you expect to use this major. Loving your subject is, of course, a must, but (and this is a big but) you have to survive in THIS world, not some imaginary place where all things really work for the good of the whole. To survive in the employment marketplace may very well mean that you minor in English (something you love) and major in one of those awful, pragmatic things that will actually help you earn a living. If the communications aspect of your major is in anyway leveled toward public speaking and education in same, nix it off your list. If, however, your communications aspect suggests anything involved in technology, it's a GO with a big green light. If it's speech and communication and has anything to do with healthcare/speech therapy that's a go. There's lots of things to think about, so make your decision with your head and not your heart.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer, I can't think of many more worthwhile studies to go into than computer technologies. It just makes sense that knowing how to work one of these gadgets would do wonders toward your writing career--AND make you the money you need to get along in life, until the writing pay is comparable.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Where you live and where you're willing to commute will affect the marketibility of you and your English/Communications degrees.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, and I'm willing to commute there if necessary.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
The ninja thing wasn't for you KC. You should become an assassian, they make more money and can use better toys and during the eveing supplement this with selling those secret party things that are becoming popular.

This is what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.