ANOTHER FALSE MEMOIR (merged: Holocaust writer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
There have been numerous questions on this board about using pen names to entice an agent or write a book purportedly from a different background-
I don't know if the link will come through but here is a holocaust memoir that wasn't- it does sound like a cool story and I wonder why the author just didn't write it as fiction- I guess the point is, even if you write under a pen name or fudge the details- Truth will out...

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/arti...mits_making_up_memoir_of_surviving_holocaust/

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Yes, just read about this on "Publisher's Marketplace" and started googling. Hadn't heard of it before. So sad. I had the same thought, why not write it as a child's fantasy of trying to make sense of a truth that was terrible enough: her parents, though not Jewish, were apparently Belgian Resistance fighters who were caught and executed by the Nazis. She was sent to live with grandparents in a "bad situation." She carried the fantasies of "I'm really someone else" to an extreme, I guess.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I think this could have ended up almost like life of Pi where the reader wasn't sure of the truth- I guess the idea that you can get away with writing anything in a memoir is enticing...I agree- it could have been a cool YA or children's book- or like Pan's Labyrinth...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's an incredibly poorly-written book as well.

And, to be honest, her real story is actually more distinctive and interesting. I'm sorry she didn't write that. I bet it would have been a better book.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
The story about the genealogical researcher could form the basis of interesting novel. What if she starts getting followed by neo-Nazis. A bomb is planted in her car. The author turns out to be . . . excuse me, I've got an outline to prepare.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's an incredibly poorly-written book as well.

And, to be honest, her real story is actually more distinctive and interesting. I'm sorry she didn't write that. I bet it would have been a better book.

I agree.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I also have to wonder how in the world people think they can get away with it.

In this particular case, it sounds like something that more or less took on a life of it's own, so to speak. One lie leading to the next and snowballing.

Still...better not to tell the lie in the first place.

Drama Queen

Registered
Reaction score
The whole "raised by wolves" thing is kind of a massive red flag. She'd be talking like Nell or something. In any case, her story is very sad. I wonder what horrors she endured in her grandparent's home.

When I encounter rude, out-of-control children I usually mutter "Raised by wolves!" more as an observation of the parents' poor child-rearing skills than the child.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Most of them are probably false anyway (especially the political ones), this one just happened to be more false. :)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Author: My best-selling Holocaust book is a hoax

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- A Belgian writer has admitted that she made up her best-selling "memoir" depicting how, as a Jewish child, she lived with a pack of wolves in the woods during the Holocaust, her lawyers said Friday.

Misha Defonseca's book, "Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust Years," was translated into 18 languages and made into a feature film in France.

Her two Brussels-based lawyers, siblings Nathalie and Marc Uyttendaele, said the author acknowledged her story was not autobiographical and that she did not trek 1,900 miles as a child across Europe with a pack of wolves in search of her deported parents during World War II.

"I ask forgiveness to all who felt betrayed," Defonseca said, according to a written statement the lawyers gave to The Associated Press.

Defonseca, 71, now lives in Dudley, Massachusetts. Her husband, Maurice, told The Boston Globe on Thursday that she would not comment.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/02/29/holocaust.bookhoax.ap/index.html

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
CNN: My best-selling Holocaust book is a hoax

From CNN:

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- A Belgian writer has admitted that she made up her best-selling "memoir" depicting how, as a Jewish child, she lived with a pack of wolves in the woods during the Holocaust, her lawyers said Friday.

Misha Defonseca's book, "Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust Years," was translated into 18 languages and made into a feature film in France.

Her two Brussels-based lawyers, siblings Nathalie and Marc Uyttendaele, said the author acknowledged her story was not autobiographical and that she did not trek 1,900 miles as a child across Europe with a pack of wolves in search of her deported parents during World War II.

"I ask forgiveness to all who felt betrayed," Defonseca said, according to a written statement the lawyers gave to The Associated Press.

Defonseca, 71, now lives in Dudley, Massachusetts. Her husband, Maurice, told The Boston Globe on Thursday that she would not comment.

Full story from CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/02/29/holocaust.bookhoax.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Why don't I believe this?

Per Ms Defonseca, it's what she recalled as a 4 year old child? What adult over 30 remembers their life in detail at age 4? Especially 'living with wolves' and traveling with them?

I don't doubt that this woman was traumatized by losing her parents. Her relatives may have been unkind to her but this is a fraudulent tale from the getgo. It demeans millions of real horrible deaths and the sufferings of the real Jewish survivors.

If this had been a work of fiction of course it wouldn't have been a best seller. Mowgli isn't a girl, certainly isn't Jewish, and is either an opportunistic slimeball or a deeply disturbed woman who copes by lying to herself and the world.

Reaction score
A Belgian writer has admitted that she made up her best-selling "memoir" depicting how, as a Jewish child, she lived with a pack of wolves

Hey, I remember this TV show!

LucanBerg.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I was raised by butterflies, and you don't see me writing a memoir.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I wonder if she asked her publisher, "What do you think gave it away? Was it the wolves? You don't think it could be the wolves, do you?"

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.