PDA

View Full Version : Writing Samples Questions

Limey
02-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I have a lead for resume writing and they require 3 writing samples to be sent with the resume. I don't have any to hand, as this will be my first writing job. So my question is what kinds of samples do you think they're looking for? subject? length? font? etc. Help appreciated :)

dpaterso
02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm moving this thread from Basic Writing Questions into AW Roundtable, hoping to find a wider audience.

-Derek

KTC
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
I would think that they are looking for published clips, but I may be wrong. Somebody else may come by and let you know what they think...but when I come across this request myself, I send published samples. Good luck.

Lauri B
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Limey, you are applying for a position writing resumes? if you don't have any published clips, then send them three samples of your writing (I guess three different resumes, in this case) that will showcase your style and ability. When you send them, tell them you don't have any published clips but you are sending the samples to give them an idea of your abilities.

Limey
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you! They asked for no attachments/links for the writing samples. Does that mean they are looking for just excerpts? How long should they be?

Lauri B
03-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Would it be possible for you to ask the editor these questions?

Limey
03-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Sorry to ask so many questions. As you can see I am new and clueless LOL:tongue I will ask the editor and see what they say. Thanks again :D

maestrowork
03-01-2008, 07:24 AM
If you have anything relevant, such as your own resume or resumes you've written for others, then send them. Or related stuff such as business correspondence, etc. Otherwise, any published work would be fine. When I was applying for a job writing for a tourism office, I sent them one piece I wrote for the PA Tourism office, and then a few of my movie reviews. I didn't send them any fiction because I believe that's irrelevant.