Writing Samples Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limey

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lead for resume writing and they require 3 writing samples to be sent with the resume. I don't have any to hand, as this will be my first writing job. So my question is what kinds of samples do you think they're looking for? subject? length? font? etc. Help appreciated :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm moving this thread from Basic Writing Questions into AW Roundtable, hoping to find a wider audience.

-Derek

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I would think that they are looking for published clips, but I may be wrong. Somebody else may come by and let you know what they think...but when I come across this request myself, I send published samples. Good luck.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Limey, you are applying for a position writing resumes? if you don't have any published clips, then send them three samples of your writing (I guess three different resumes, in this case) that will showcase your style and ability. When you send them, tell them you don't have any published clips but you are sending the samples to give them an idea of your abilities.

Limey

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! They asked for no attachments/links for the writing samples. Does that mean they are looking for just excerpts? How long should they be?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you to ask the editor these questions?

Limey

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to ask so many questions. As you can see I am new and clueless LOL:tongue I will ask the editor and see what they say. Thanks again :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you have anything relevant, such as your own resume or resumes you've written for others, then send them. Or related stuff such as business correspondence, etc. Otherwise, any published work would be fine. When I was applying for a job writing for a tourism office, I sent them one piece I wrote for the PA Tourism office, and then a few of my movie reviews. I didn't send them any fiction because I believe that's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.