Gender prejudice?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if this exists in certain genres. I write mysterys/ thrillers and wonder if my gender (female) hinders me when submitting. I ask because the only agent that has asked for a full read so far has been female. Yes, it could be coincidence, but just wondering what your experiences have been like.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I looked up the Australian Bureau of Statistics figures and found teenage girls are top of the highest reading percentage category and they are highest in increased percentage for reading. So I include that in my introduction to publishers when explaining why my MC is female.

I'd look up the stats for U S of A or wherever to find if there is similar ammo for you.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
There are a lot of huge bestselling authors of mystery/thrillers who are female. Martina Cole is an excellent example in the UK. Evidently her latest book sold 25 000 copies in its first weekend.

(and let's not forget about the grand dames of mystery - PD James and Agatha Christie)

I wouldn't worry about the gender thing. I think it's just a coincidence that your MS was requested for the first time by a female agent. It also helps that I think there are probably more female agents out there than male . . . though I could be wrong about that . . .

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
There are definitely more female agents and editors in the biz, but I don't think there's a lot of gender bias, unless it is against men! Now, if you are a guy writing romance, you might want to use your intials. If you are a woman writing a hardboiled cop novel, I wouldn't worry too much.

Z

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody is going to give a hoot what gender you are. They may eventually ask female writers of male-dominated genres, or male writers of female-dominated genres, to use a pseud or initials to "fit in" better on bookstore shelves, but I honestly can't imagine it making a difference to an agent at any earlier stage.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
There are definitely more female agents and editors in the biz, but I don't think there's a lot of gender bias, unless it is against men! Now, if you are a guy writing romance, you might want to use your intials. If you are a woman writing a hardboiled cop novel, I wouldn't worry too much

Andrew, you're dead on with this one. When my agent attended the last BEA, he visited every editor, of every major and minor house, and took copious notes. Not only did he query them about their tastes and trends, but he took note of their age range and gender.

Well, we're swamped with youngish to middle-aged gals. But I don't think there's much gender prejudice. Except...when it would come to the romance lines--I truly think women really do excell here--It's a sensivity issue. I will say that I've landed on a Harlequin desk with a full read, and am rather perplexed, but surprised, on how I ever got there.

But I think I'm fairly safe. My first name is Chris. They have no idea, yet, who they're dealing with. Hee, hee.

Tri

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't really stopped Patricia Cornwell

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Just to update here- my thriller was accepted and is being published by a female-(Is also being edited by a female) but I agree no prejuduce on gender.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Just to update here- my thriller was accepted and is being published by a female-(Is also being edited by a female) but I agree no prejuduce on gender.

Could I ask: Do you have an agent? I see your publisher accepts full manuscripts without query and not necessarily via an agent.

Congratulations on getting published. What's the book about?

PublishOrPerish

Publish or Perish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishorperishagency.com
I can't imagine that there would be gender bias but it all has to do with the writing and perspective of the characters. Editors are like any readers, they are looking to connect with the story. However, they are also reading from the perspective of the market, i.e. to whom will a book sell, and internally, to whom the editor must sell the proposal e.g. the publisher, marketing director, sales director, etc. Statistically there are more female editors, booksellers and librarians. And the demographics of bookselling are such that most book consumers are women. Agents are thinking which editor will be the best match; female or male.

So from an agent or editorial perspective, I think gender may only matter as to whom the narrative will relate.

P.S. Audiobooks - an audiobook publisher will obviously be looking to consider who will be the reader or readers depending on gender.