PDA

View Full Version : Juno Got Burned

DonnaDuck
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23389158/

Funding makes the movie Canadian, unless you're David Cronenberg.

ChunkyC
02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
That's ridiculous. Juno not being eligible for the Genies, I mean. I love my country, but sometimes we're incomprehensible even to ourselves.

Sheryl Nantus
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
remember Forever Knight?

a show shot IN Toronto, with many excellent Canadian actors (Geraint Wyn Davies!) and set IN Toronto with some great shots of Yonge Street.

I had to watch it via Buffalo since it wasn't "Canadian" enough to be on the local channels.

same was true with a Bryan Adams album years ago...

shame how we hurt our own, eh?

(WGN is now showing "Corner Gas"! WAHOO!!!)

DonnaDuck
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
But why though?

Forgive me for the thought but it sound like a "shame on you for using American money" type of thing. I mean, look at the stats for that Cronenberg film. About Russians in London that was shot in London. The only connection to Canada the film has via the production company that proffered roughly 20% of the budget for the film. Not even 1/4 the cost of the film itself was given by a Canadian company and that movie is considered more Canadian than Juno which was shot in Canada with a Canadian director and a Canadian cast with a Canadian storyline? That's just plain absurd.

It makes me think that if the money had been Canadian and if there was a map of the US in the background somewhere it wouldn't be deemed Canadian enough because of it. it just sounds like they were splitting hairs with this one. Juno got a lot of attention in the US and perhaps they were afraid it would detract from other Canadian movies? I don't know but it's not like Cronenberg's only up for one award. I think the article said soemthing like 12 nominations he had. Oye.

Sheryl Nantus
02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
basically it's part of the Canadian mindset (not all of us, mind you - but those who hand out the money and the grants and the rewards) that to be pro-Canadian you have to be anti-American.

so, yes - it's all about the money.

childeroland
02-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Detract from what other Canadian films? They couldn't be that concerned about the survival of Canadian cinematic culture if the included 'Eastern Promises'. Sounds like jealousy to me.

plaidearthworm
02-29-2008, 05:48 AM
(WGN is now showing "Corner Gas"! WAHOO!!!)

Amen to that! I've become hooked on Corner Gas since WGN started showing it. Now they show new episodes in prime time on Wednesdays--which could be a problem since the new season of Ghost Hunters starts next week!

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2008, 01:25 AM
But why though?

Forgive me for the thought but it sound like a "shame on you for using American money" type of thing. I mean, look at the stats for that Cronenberg film. About Russians in London that was shot in London. The only connection to Canada the film has via the production company that proffered roughly 20% of the budget for the film. Not even 1/4 the cost of the film itself was given by a Canadian company and that movie is considered more Canadian than Juno which was shot in Canada with a Canadian director and a Canadian cast with a Canadian storyline? That's just plain absurd.

It makes me think that if the money had been Canadian and if there was a map of the US in the background somewhere it wouldn't be deemed Canadian enough because of it. it just sounds like they were splitting hairs with this one. Juno got a lot of attention in the US and perhaps they were afraid it would detract from other Canadian movies? I don't know but it's not like Cronenberg's only up for one award. I think the article said soemthing like 12 nominations he had. Oye.

The only thing I can think of that is that Cronenberg, I believe, has won something like 5 Genie awards already, and was nominated for I don't know how many more. He may be considered more established, but it's still rather silly.

nevada
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
According to the spokesman of the Genies committee, nobody submitted Juno which is why it wasn't considered. I'm sorry, I don't have the link to the article anymore.

ChunkyC
03-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Sounds like damage control to me. :)