PDA

View Full Version : I've heard of road rage, but shopping cart rage?

A. Hamilton
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
so I pulled into the grocery parking lot last night and observed a mother and son loading their van with groceries. they were about 50 feet from my car and about 10-15 feet from a shopping cart stall, but for some reason, when the mother told him to return the cart, the kid stood behind the van and gave it a nice hard shove, away from the stall, and in my direction. he stood and watched it roll. I looked ahead to see what he was aiming for, and saw another cart barely wedged against a cement pole, right next to my car. there was no way possible that cart was going to magically land inside the other cart and stay put. besides, it was aimed straight for the side of my car. the kid would have time to run up and catch the cart, but he just stood there. I was doing all I could to get the car into park and get out, but I knew I would be too late to get around and catch it.
I said to the kid, "are you just going to stand there and watch that cart hit my car?"
he looked at me, then at the cart, then BAM-cart hits car. kid looks scared, and whimpers out a little 'sorry'. I suddenly felt bad for him, because I could see he was younger than he looked-maybe 7 or 8, and seemed to be only following Mom's orders. so I chilled and waited for mom.
so Mom walks up and and they move the cart-resting it precariously against the other one, grabs his arm and says to her son, 'don't worry about it, you said you were sorry, there's nothing else you can do.'
I seriously stood there with my mouth hanging open-I guess I expected at least an apology. I became snappy-"this is how you teach your kid?? and then you don't even put the cart away right??"
she snapped back 'I don't have to listen to you'
to which I retorted "so don't expect your kid to listen to you"
to which she stopped dead in her tracks, hand on her hips, and began to tell me off. I was already almost to the store doors and kept on walking. I don't think or speak clearly when I get ticked and this was not going well ... better to be passive and leave before I became the jerk. OK, so maybe I'm a wimp, but the kid was watching, I just didn't want to play into the bad example he was being given.
there was no dent on my car, just a little white paint smudge-but I do admit I was a little worried I would come out and see my car smashed to smithereens-however, all was intact.
I'm still appalled, please tell me this Mother's behavior is not common.

Stew21
02-28-2008, 08:46 PM
She sounds like a complete witch!

I don't know what I would have done in your situation, but as a mother I can tell you what I would have done in hers.
I would have marched my kid over to you, insisted he apologize again, I would have apologized to you myself, and surveyed the car for any damage that may have been caused (knowing there wasn't any, I would have put on a big worried show for the kid - "see how serious this is, Junior?"). A healthy lecture about respect for people's property and reckless and careless behavior would have followed the whole way home.

trish, only a complete witch to her children. and only when necessary.

Meerkat
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
That....that.... That no good NONWRITER!

That mother's behavior is all too common here in yuppie land. And that little dreamstar will be the spitting image UNLESS more good folks like yourself yell at the both of 'em. And often. Sorry it was your turn P.H.

davids
02-28-2008, 08:48 PM
You see P.H I am completely with you here. Your problem is your stupendificatious purdyness-you think I am kidding? I never ever have these problems. Since the old days when I too was purdy and fit and ready and able to kill with my hands-again not bragging just stating facts-I have not lost that knowledge but have become elderly and frail-but I still look meaner'n hell so most children and parents are scared to even try and push me buttoneyes-not kidding-it is a great advantage-plus I eat children and they (children) have a strong instinct about child eating elderly men-love Dave----next time wear them boots and don't forget the damn whip alright?

Bartholomew
02-28-2008, 08:49 PM
When I was *much* younger, I did the same thing as this kid. Except when the guy next to the car said something to me, I ran after the cart. I grew up thinking adults actually knew things, y'know?

Anyhoo--did the cart damage your car? If so, did you get her car's license plate number?

If not, you're pretty much screwed.

A. Hamilton
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
no damage to worry about, Bart. not to my car anyway. but there goes another kid into society with screwed up values.

and Davids, I think I actually understood your post. you'd be surprised to know I can put on a pretty mean face when I need to and have been known to stop a bratty child mid-fit with just one glare.

rhymegirl
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I want to have Dave with me at all times when I'm in a parking lot.

Then I can be nice, he can attack. :)

A. Hamilton
02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I want to have Dave with me at all times when I'm in a parking lot.

Then I can be nice, he can attack. :)
kinky

Perks
02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
That's ridiculous. I'm glad you said something, though.

DWSTXS
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
These people have no time to be 'nice'. They're all too busy starring in their own movie. You should have grabbed a cart and shoved into her car, then give a half-ass 'I'm sorry' and walked away. That'd teach her. LOL

A. Hamilton
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
ha! well, I wanted an apology, not revenge. but yeah-it's sad that that reaction may have been all she would understand.

quickWit
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
That was you? My wife came home last night in tears because some maniac started to yell at her in a parking lot! She was scared to death!

You should be ashamed. :)

Angie
02-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm one of those people who collect every cart on my way from my car to the door because it irritates the hell out of me when they're left in the middle of the lot to be hit or to roll into someone's car. And you can bet if this woman ever hits an abandoned cart or has one rolled into HER car, she'll have a screaming fit about it. :Soapbox:

writerterri
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Next time smack her! :D

Best to not give those kind of people any attention. Just a simple "what a shame" and walk off is good.

Seems to me she's rubbing off on her son but for a split second he realized what a bozo he was. As for the mother, no hope.

I get the same way when I'm mad.

paprikapink
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about rage inside the store. No matter where you park your cart while you're shopping somebody's gonna get mad at you it seems. So this is much better than the ramming fit in the frozen foods aisle that I was imagining.

rhymegirl
02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Next thing you know there will be a new reality show about this.

SURVIVING SHOPPING CART RAGE:
Contestants must compete against one another in a crowded parking lot slamming carts into each other.
Last person standing wins!

DWSTXS
02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I did recently see a woman drive her car through a huge pothole at our grocery store parking lot and it caused her front bumper to fall off.
She was SO oblivious that she parked and walked on inside, and never even looked at her front end. This pothole was so enormous that I was surprised that she was able to drive through it without seriously damaging her front end (other than the bumper)
They had traffic cones all around it but the wind blew them away on that particular day.

I bet her husband was like, WTF? and she was clueless

Maryn
02-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Once again, I'm smitten with Wegman's.

They employ some regular not-all-that-bright-or-motivated guys and several with developmental difficulties to wrangle carts. A cart not stowed where it belongs is rarely there more than ten minutes or so. The yuppies in their Navigators and Hummers do tend to just leave them in the middle of any adjacent space.

I'm sure I would have thought of just the right thing to say to that loser of a mother, but not until ten minutes too late. (As usual.)

Maryn, Weggie's fan

JoNightshade
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh man, I'm so glad you said something!!!

Almost the same thing happened to me a few months back when I was visiting my mom... only it was a teenage daughter! Mom and I had just gotten in the car when this teenage girl put this cart back in a way that was obviously not going to stay, on a slope. It immediately rolled back out and smacked into the front of our car. She and her mother looked at it, then got into the car next to us and drove away without a second glance. What I really, REALLY hate is how they refuse to look at you.

What a great example to set for your kid.

A. Hamilton
02-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about rage inside the store. No matter where you park your cart while you're shopping somebody's gonna get mad at you it seems.
I sometimes find myself wanting to signal, or look over my shoulder at my blind spot.

Mandy-Jane
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
All I can say is, some people have got NO IDEA!

Silver King
02-29-2008, 03:27 AM
Now I know why those dang shopping carts never work right. Careless customers are abusing them in the parking lot!

The grocery store where I shop recently had new carts delivered. They worked like a charm for a short while, smooth and trouble-free, gliding along as if sailing upon a calm linoleum sea. After about a month, the trouble started. Now the carts are hard to handle, their frames bent. Some of the casters no longer touch the floor and spin uselessly. The carts steer themselves, always in the opposite direction of where the shopper intends to go. And there's never any need to feel guilty about not going to the gym, because after only one visit to that store, you're entire body will feel the effects of the workout you've experienced from maneuvering that cart, and your friends will envy those firm abs and bulging biceps.

As for the wayward kid who played crash derby with your car, I wouldn't have said anything to him. His mom, however, would've known how I felt, up close, while I spoke to her in not much higher than a whisper to spare her son.

Dibley
02-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Much as I'd like to exact revenge for such things, it's best to avoid it- you don't know what they might do. Some of them are completely crazy and- here's the main point- they won't ever, ever learn. They're not like normal people. They're oblivious, rude, think the world owes them something and you'd have to get tangled in a mess with them to try and change that.
Anyway, much as it boils my blood (I've been known to rant for hours after such incidents, much to my husband's chagrin) it's better to let it go. Sometimes I don't believe that myself but I'm trying to learn!
We have neighbours above us who regularly jump (or something odd) so hard that it shakes our apartment. They've made me so mad I've been nearly ill with it. I don't know what to do about that, as it isn't easy with people who know where you live- what if I speak to them and they get angry and it gets worse? So, perhaps on my last day living here, I'll leave a sweet lil' note under their door thanking them for their neighbourliness.
As I say, it's best to just let it go and be glad you aren't the sort that does that ignorant thing with shopping carts.

Silver King
02-29-2008, 05:28 AM
...As I say, it's best to just let it go and be glad you aren't the sort that does that ignorant thing with shopping carts.
I understand where you're coming from, and it's usually the best course of action. However, if no one ever speaks to anyone, how will we ever change rude behavior? Or is it a lost cause?

This happened yesterday:

My youngest boy was riding his skateboard in front of my house. No one else was around until a woman ran screaming from her home and told him to stop before he killed someone. At first I thought she was kidding. The street was deserted. When I realized she was serious, I asked her, almost nicely, to mind her own damn business. She gave me a look that would've withered her grandchildren on the spot, but I was emboldened and moved closer. She ran back in her house.

She's lucky I didn't grab a baseball bat and smash her head to a pulp. ;)

Susie
02-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Sure sorry that happened, PH, but in today's world, good you didn't let it escalate into a real confrontation. People can sometimes be really not controllable and go off the deep end. You did the right thing and sure glad you or your car wasn't hurt.