your own website

aussiedee

Registered
Reaction score
Los Angeles for 8 months, Sale, Victoria Australia
I have just read a blog from an agent and she said one of the first things to do if you are going to publish a book is to have a professional website up and running.

My question is.....what sort of a website should you start if you haven't finished your manuscript yet...what do you base it on. My book is a memoir about losing my mom, sister and four year old daughter in three years and how i coped with these losses...an inspirational story.

So if i do a website I'm not sure what to base it on...grief? my manuscript or just my everyday life...Any ideas on what other people have done or what their website's content is would be really helpful.

thanks in advance.
Dee

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
One idea. Here's a web site I created last week for the author of an educational program that will be released in a few weeks. http://languageinlife.com/ I had suggested it would be good to have the web site start promoting before the program became available. The site is not complete but quite acceptable in its current, very simple state. Only 11 pages: product pages, news release, author page, order pages, contact info, feedback form, and FAQ. More will be added as required.

In the early stages perhaps you could use your web site as a tribute to your departed family members with some photos. More a celebration than focusing on your grief. You can say that a book is in the works and how you intend to write it. You don't want to include book content, but you could include your chapter titles, your "mission statement", and perhaps a chronology of events both in your life and also the book's publication.

Does this help?

Andrea

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aussiedee, if it were me, I'd have a website that went by my author name (in fact, I do. :)) That way, you can keep adding to it as you continue your writing career. You can feature your memoir for starters, but then other works down the road. And if the site is in your name, then your readers will always be able to find out about your latest writing project.

ETA: I'd advise against setting up a site based on what you think the title will be...titles notoriously change by the time a book is in print (especially if you publish with a traditional publisher--you have no control over the title).

angelaklocke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
angelagilesklocke.com
Yes, just go with your own name. It's the one domain name you are not likely to find you don't need and the one you can put anything you do under. My first website was not my name and I eventually let it die, but it was part of my name and still listed in books and such, so...bad decision there!

So, I don't think you could go wrong at all with your name, and besides, better get it in place before your book gets published and you get famous and then someone else tries to buy it. ;)

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
Good advice about the "your name" domain. I used to advise clients that when you do media interviews people need only remember one thing, not two: your name. This makes sense when you want to receive invitations (paid) to speak.

And eons ago, before search engines, people could find you only through the phone directory by your name. I secured my name domain in 1999 and have had other Andrea Reynolds' (including the more famous one) ask if they could buy it.

aussiedee

Registered
Reaction score
thanks so much to you all for your great advice.

my other question was 'what' content should I put on it as I am not a 'writer' as such....just wondering what others do as far as content goes if they have nothing to sell or blog about.
thanks
dee

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
What to blog about?

my other question was 'what' content should I put on it as I am not a 'writer' as such....just wondering what others do as far as content goes if they have nothing to sell or blog about.
thanks
dee

I understand your dilemma about what to write, since you could write about anything. It took me 3 or 4 tries before I settled in to a blog topic.

Brainstorm, pick your favorite topic, start blogging, and see how it goes. The key to blogging regularly is to pick something you will enjoy writing about. Is your memoir about Australia? Maybe you could write a blog about an Aussie in US. If you get tired of it, try something else.

Jerry

aussiedee

Registered
Reaction score
thanks jerry....very funny when i think about all the possiblities of blogging about an aussie living in L.A...thanks for the idea...a very good one!

i was more thinking along the lines of to do with my book....as in how to get through grief...that life goes on and you can learn to live again.

love your idea though and the tips, appreciate it.
dee