It Takes Two (or three...or four)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I wanted something on the TV, just as background noise, so I put in my DVD of Rent. A DVD I never thought I'd own. The first time I watched that film, about a year ago, I didn't like it. I though it was slow, not terribly interesting. A few months ago, I caught part of it showing on one of the movie channels and watched the last hour or so. And realized it was good. I started listening to the soundtrack and fell in love with the music. It took time, but in the end, I did like the movie.

The same thing happened with You've Got Mail. I hated it the first time around. I thought it was too long, the characters flat, Meg Ryan too cute. Then, I saw it again a year later. Now it's one of my favorite Rom-Coms.

Anyone else have films like this? You disliked it the first time around, but then saw it again and changed your mind?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was terrified by JAWS the first time I saw it (when I was just a kid). Never wanted to see it again until college -- then I just loved it the death (so to speak).

The Princess Bride -- I know, I know... but the first time I saw it I thought it was silly and the frames are rather boring (did Peter Falk and Ben Savage had to stop the story every 30 minutes?) But then I saw it again, then again, and again... I couldn't stop watching it.

The first time I saw Alien, and the Thing, I didn't like them, but then I fell in love. That happens a lot with horror: the Ring, Shining, etc. It took me a while to come around.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The animated Road to El Dorado. First time I saw it was just after my cat died so that might have something to do with not liking it, but I really enjoyed it on later viewings.

Jumanji - At first I thought it had no purpose, but by watching it again I finally realized how the characters change.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
We watched Mystery Men on cable when we had movie channels. After it was over, I said, "I'm glad we didn't pay for that!"

That was the first movie I ever saw Ben Stiller in. I had not yet seen There's Something About Mary.

Fast forward about a year. By this time I had seen Ben Stiller in at least two movies, I had gotten used to William H. Macey i Fargo, and I had the hots for Jeanene Garafolo, and started thinking about that movie I didn't like: Mystery Men.

So I rented it. And discovered I loved it. I still do. (And I recently discovered Dane Cook has a bit part in it as "The Waffler!")

allen

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't hate it the first time I saw it, but Home for the Holidays didn't really enthrall me.

Now I have to watch it at least twice a year. Absolutely one of the best movies ever made. Every character is perfect, and it never gets old.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The most recent "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" remake.

Not much the first time. Ok second time. Now I could rewatch it every night.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Deck the Halls grew on me, only because I do like Danny Divito in his comedy roles. Then I started to develope a fancy toward Mathew Broderick (sp?), who seemed to be just a neat person, period.

RV had the same effect, which I've watched over and over again, having not particulary liked it during the first viewing.

I've probably watched Blast from the Past a hundred times. I have no idea why I keep going back to that. I think it makes me feel comfortable, or connects with the 50s--that safe, sane and morally upstanding cultural era.

Tri

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Napoleon Dynamite: Didn't think it was funny until the 3rd time. Then it was hilarious.

Sleepless in Seatle: I didn't like it until I saw An Affair to Remember (30 thousand times.)

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Pulp Fiction was very confusing for me the first time, then after subsequent viewings, I can appreciate the artistic value of it.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is another example.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of older films are like that for me. As I get older, I appreciate them more. Casablanca is a perfect example. When I was a teenager, I thought it was as boring as watching grass grow. Now, I think it's one of the all time great movies.

rosebud1981

росебуд1
Registered
Reaction score
Amélie. The first time I saw that I thought it was ok, but nothing special. Might be because of the way I first saw it. It was on dvd with a fairly large group of friends and people were talking all the time and getting impatient for some sort of action to happen.
Since the second viewing (by myself a few years later) I recognised it as sweet, funny, clever and really delightfully quirky. One of my all-time favourite movies now. I went to see the Da Vinci Code for no other reason than another glimpse of Audrey Tautou :LilLove:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The French Connection
Bullitt
Tom Horn