Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

I want to write a proposal for a popular science book. It would be a massive research project, but that's okay. I think it would be fun.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find any info on this subject. I've googled it and found nothing. I did an online search of articles on the public library website. Still nothing.

Anyone else do any kind of science writing? How do you do your research? Are there other places I could try?

When I was in college, I used to use Dialog and Medline to do research. I hate to think that there's simply no information out there.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Would't want to make you give up the goods, but to know what area of science might be helpful. In any case, other good research tools for science could be some government (National Institute of Science) entities or entities connected to universities that study or do research on whatever the area of science it is that you'll write about. Also, check the websites of science magazines because they may have links or at least ads that might connect you to places with more resources. Good luck!

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Just a correction - I don't think the National Institute of Science is the actual name and I'm not sure it's governmental! laughing at myself. BUT...I know there is some org. like that and the government does support National Institute of Health and for sure NASA etc. You get the gist I hope! (Can you tell science isn't my big area!)

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
For this kind of trouble I have a tendency to e-mail experts. College professors are very knowledgeable and can point you to any number of books and resources. In my experience, they are also generally very willing to help you.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Like mommie said, it's tough to offer suggestions without knowing what area of science you're talking about. I've done a great deal of medical writing, but for that there are quite a few public sources for that. For what it's worth, I have quite a few contacts in astronomy, astrophysics and related sciences, so if that's in the area you're looking at, feel free to drop me a private note and I'll see if I can't help you out.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Not to throw cold water on the project, but if there REALLY is nothing about the topic, maybe it is because there is no interest in the topic and thus no market for a book.

I'm currently writing a junior high book in influenza (the idea that a pandemic like the one in 1918 could recur should be enough to scare anyone) and then move on to chapters in a high school bio text. If the topic is medical/health related, I'm an expert at digging this sort of information out of the Web and individuals and I'll happily share sources.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Wandering Sensei said:
Trouble is, I can't seem to find any info on this subject. I've googled it and found nothing. I did an online search of articles on the public library website. Still nothing.

Several good points already made... Let me add this:

We (meaning everyone) are becoming lazy with research by relying on the internet as our primary source for information. While there is certainly loads of info on the Net, there is far more outside of it. I have just finished a 400+ page book on political theory and I never went to the internet for anything! My current project is also non-fiction (economics) and I have yat to search the net for info. My suggestion would be to try some proffesional or acedemic science journals at a local university library; you're bound to find your subject since someone is bound to have used it in some way for a dissertation. An article on the subject in a scholarly work would be the best thing to find, as it will no doubt include a bibliography and other relevant sources for info.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Tish Davidson said:
Not to throw cold water on the project, but if there REALLY is nothing about the topic, maybe it is because there is no interest in the topic and thus no market for a book.

I'm currently writing a junior high book in influenza (the idea that a pandemic like the one in 1918 could recur should be enough to scare anyone) and then move on to chapters in a high school bio text. If the topic is medical/health related, I'm an expert at digging this sort of information out of the Web and individuals and I'll happily share sources.

You're probably right. I really thought there'd be an interest in this, but I guess not. If there was, I'm sure someone much better than me would have already written it.

Status
Not open for further replies.