The Role of Published Books in an Agent Search

Ben_G

Does anyone have any information on the possibility of using previously published material in an agent search?

I have one novel in print and another on the way this summer. One is to a small press (I hate that phrase) and the other is to a niche publisher. One of my editors is encouraging me to seek a wider audience. (I have a third book completed and ready for query and a fourth which should be completed sometime this spring, so I'm not just looking for a short cut.)

So I was wondering what the consensus and recommendations are for involving published novels in the quest for representation. I read in Writer's Digest that agents are more likely to go with writers who are willing to make a career out of it, and I've got a book on the shelf, a book on the way, a completed, unsold manuscript and a final draft on the home stretch.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I find that when I phone a publisher and say I'm already published, I'm listened to. I've never had an agent but I imagine it would be the same. It definitely shows you can write.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
You want to offer up that you've been published (and yes, a lot - if not all - interested agents will look up your books.) The only time I would say not to mention it is if either of those books was a vanity press book. That generally isn't considered a writing credit. Other than that, definitely tell them! :D

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just to offer a slightly more jaundiced perspective...how credible are these small/niche publishers? Small press credits can be terrific--but there are so many unprofessional small presses out there that if the agent hasn't heard of your publishers, s/he may not give your published books a lot of weight.

- Victoria

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the agents that I've researched want to know what the author's "publishing history" is.

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
I would mention that you've been published before and include the titles, the publishers, and the year. Keep in mind, though, that agents will look up those books, most likely on Amazon, and if your reviews are not positive, you are unlikely to get a lot of interest. A never-before-published author is better than a previously published author with a bad track record in the review or sales areas.

Z