PDA

View Full Version : The Jerk and Forest Gump

Stew21
02-26-2008, 06:24 AM
The same movie .
Different genre.

One is comedy; one is drama.

Discuss.

And can you think of other examples of the same movie in a different genre?

Plot Device
02-26-2008, 07:19 AM
I don't believe the analysis is correct, at least not from the angle of sheer story.

The Jerk was the demise of an unlikeable person. It was a demise because, as the tag line said, it was a "rags to riches to rags story". And he was repulsively pathetic, a mean and stupid person who did unkind things. In the end he was ruined, and he somehow deserved it.

Forest Gump was the American dream, but turned on its ear politically and pumped with cinematic steroids. And he was neither repulsive nor pathetic, he was very likeable, honest, and quite sympathetic. He never harmed anyone and only wanted the best for all around him. In the end he was made happy and successful, and he definitely deserved it.

The only common denominator I see is that they were both mentally challenged. Beyond that I see little similarity.

Cranky
02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves and Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Though they're both actually pretty hilarious, for reasons other than intended by the directors, imo. *evil grin*

Stew21
02-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Both mentally challenged and did a variety of unlikely things with their lives. That's what I see.
I respect your opinion. I can see how they are different. I can also see how they are very much the same and separated a great deal only by genre. Also seems you completely missed the lighthearted intention with the thread, but to each her own.

Siddow
02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
The Jerk an unlikeable person??? How can you not like someone who only wants to find his 'special purpose'? lol.

jst5150
02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
"Oh Brother Where Art Thou" and any true-to-story version of "The Odyssey"

Stew21
02-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Yes. Like the The Odyssey - nearly any modern day shakespeare (10 things I hate about you - Taming of the Shrew). Jane Austin (Emma - Clueless)

And other stories vary in story and character type more than they vary in actual plot.

DaddyCat
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
The Jerk was the demise of an unlikeable person. It was a demise because, as the tag line said, it was a "rags to riches to rags story". And he was repulsively pathetic, a mean and stupid person who did unkind things. In the end he was ruined, and he somehow deserved it.

Plot, I find it hard to believe we watched the same movie. All I got from The Jerk was Navin Johnson being abused by the mean and stupid people around him.

Anyway, we can add Being There with Peter Sellers to this list.

Another combo, Dr. Strangelove and Fail-Safe.

Jersey Chick
02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I kind of thought Eragon and Star Wars were the same movie - when my husband and I were watching Eragon - both of us kept saying, "And now XYZ would happen, just like when Luke did so-and-so" and that's exactly what would happen.

NikeeGoddess
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Braveheart & Gladiator were the same movie/had the similar themes imo.
oh, but they were the same genre. nevermind, i misunderstood the question. LOL!

ok - Look Who's Coming to Dinner drama and any Meet My Parents type comedy or even the remake of Guess Who

C.bronco
02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
"Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Good. Father, could there be a God that would let this happen? "

The Jerk opened my eyes to the heinous treatment of kittens.

CaroGirl
02-26-2008, 06:08 PM
"I was born a poor black child." The Jerk (which I love) was about how one simple man could be thoroughly corrupted into greed by money and fame. Forest Gump was how one simple man remained utterly unchanged by money and fame. No matter what he experienced, Gump was the same guy.

Harry Potter is Star Wars with magic.

Stew21
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I kind of thought Eragon and Star Wars were the same movie - when my husband and I were watching Eragon - both of us kept saying, "And now XYZ would happen, just like when Luke did so-and-so" and that's exactly what would happen.

I thought of this one too! Yes. They are the same movie. One is fantasy and one is sci-fi.

William Haskins
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
In the end he was ruined, and he somehow deserved it.

no, in the end he was redeemed by his unflagging loyalty to his family during his travels, falling back into their bosom with the woman he loved and a renewed sense that home and family were more important than fortune and fame.

DWSTXS
02-26-2008, 07:25 PM
The Jerk was silly.
Forrest Gump was stupid. In my opinion, one of the worst movies ever.

eldragon
02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I didn't think Steve Martin's Jerk was an unlikeable character.
Or mean.

Each movie was entertaining when it was made.

Plot Device
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Both mentally challenged and did a variety of unlikely things with their lives. That's what I see.
I respect your opinion. I can see how they are different. I can also see how they are very much the same and separated a great deal only by genre. Also seems you completely missed the lighthearted intention with the thread, but to each her own.

Sorry, Stew. Yeah, I took it a bit too seriously. :)

ChunkyC
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
I can see where Stew is coming from, though to me they are very different films and you really have to look at them hard to draw comparisons.

I thought The Jerk was a mostly superficial albeit hilarious piece of entertainment, whereas Forrest Gump took us on an emotionally deep journey through some of the most politically and socially charged events of the latter part of the twentieth century in America and did it with intelligence, insight and humour.

Stew21
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I can see where Stew is coming from, though to me they are very different films and you really have to look at them hard to draw comparisons.

I thought The Jerk was a mostly superficial albeit hilarious piece of entertainment, whereas Forrest Gump took us on an emotionally deep journey through some of the most politically and socially charged events of the latter part of the twentieth century in America and did it with intelligence, insight and humour.

I think the differences you see in the films are primarily genre based, Charlie.

:)

Though, I can see why some people think it is a stretch.