One of those questions you hate...

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I have one of those questions that's going to make you hate me.

So there's this agent.

For those of you who've been tracking my agent saga...this is Dream Agent 2.

Dream Agent 2 emailed me on Saturday and said--

Hi Hannah,

How are you?

Are you still looking for representation? I would love to schedule a chat with you about possibly doing some revisions for me on your manuscript, if you're up to it.

Okay, sick. I assumed he meant phone chat (yes???) and I emailed him a list of when I'm available.

HERE'S MY QUESTION, FOLKS. For those of you who have been in this situation...

is he going to email me back telling me when he's calling...or is he just going to call?

My curiousity is killing me at this point.

Thanks so much for all your help and support in getting me this far!!

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
If he's a pro, he'll tell you when he's calling. And a REAL pro if he sets the agenda beforehand. And a superhero if he delivers pizza while you're chatting with. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'd expect an email telling you when he's calling. I'm not an expert on agents, but this is how it works in my business circle. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I got no clue; I'm still waiting to get to this point. I just wanted to say

Yeah Shady!!!!!!!!!

:hooray::snoopy::partyguy: :hooray::snoopy::partyguy: :hooray::snoopy::partyguy: :hooray::snoopy::partyguy:

You rock, girl. :e2headban :e2headban :e2headban

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Sunna, thank you so much! I'm SO hoping this works out.

Okay, thanks muchly, guys. I now know to hold my breath for that pizza. ;)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first off, good luck to you, Shady!

Second, I think he'd e-mail you to tell you he's calling. My agent almost always tells me beforehand.

But however it happens, for the love of God take notes. :D (I'm one of those people who likes to think of himself as a person with a good memory, but in truth I have a memory as porous as a strainer. I never take notes and always regret it later.)

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
oh my God, I'm going to be taking notes like there's a test on it later. Don't worry. Thanks so much!

ETA: Oh, by the way, I've seen Obedience SO much, and I always grab it and say, "I know Will! He's so nice!"

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
He will almost certainly email to confirm.

You're doing great. Keep it up.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Slim Shady, how could anyone ever hate you?

For some other thoughts on this interview.

I'd buy a portable tape recorder. That way you've got a verbatim record of your end (you can't record phone conversations).

Any time the agent asks something and you are not absolutely positive you understand him, repeat it back to him. Make sure you reduce misunderstanding down to a minimum.

Go to the bathroom ahead of time. Have something to drink (like water) available (you're throat is probably going to go dry and you will have to go to the bathroom).

Remember after you get done to send a email thanking him for your time.

Have one of your parents available, as you're a minor if I remember right, and something may come up for which they are needed.

Have some good, solid questions available. One of the best is "How do you plan on marketing this?"

Plan on going out afterwards, even if it's just for a sundae. Win or lose, you're going to need something afterwards.

Put up a sign that you can see while you're on the phone that says, "RELAX." Remember what the sign says while you are on the phone.

If you have little brothers or sisters, talk to your parents about them being gone, gone, gone.

Make sure, if it is a portable phone, that the phone is completely charged. If you live in an area that is prone to power failures, don't plan on using a portable phone. (Crap happens at the worse times.)

If you've got someone at school (this won't work with a parent), you might try a practice interview. Or you might be able to get someone from this board who's willing to do it.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Remember that this is all fun. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Slim Shady, how could anyone ever hate you?

well, ya never know....;)

I'd buy a portable tape recorder. That way you've got a verbatim record of your end (you can't record phone conversations).

What a wickedly awesome idea.

Any time the agent asks something and you are not absolutely positive you understand him, repeat it back to him. Make sure you reduce misunderstanding down to a minimum.

Will do!

Go to the bathroom ahead of time. Have something to drink (like water) available (you're throat is probably going to go dry and you will have to go to the bathroom).

Good call mos def.

Remember after you get done to send a email thanking him for your time.

Yep!

Have one of your parents available, as you're a minor if I remember right, and something may come up for which they are needed.

Welllll...haha, the problem is this happens to be the worst week EVER for me to get an agent phone call, haha. It's tech week for my school play and I'm at school everyday until 8. I have smatches of time during my lunch break and in-between school and rehearsal, but I'll be at my school the whole time. So no parents...though theyre' not all that much help in agent issues anyway. ;)

And yep, I'm a minor.

Oh, that reminds me--how long should I expect this phone call to last?

Have some good, solid questions available. One of the best is "How do you plan on marketing this?"

Oooh, good!

Plan on going out afterwards, even if it's just for a sundae. Win or lose, you're going to need something afterwards.

I love sundaes! Haha, unfortunately, the only place I think I'll be going after the conversation is to rehearsal...

Put up a sign that you can see while you're on the phone that says, "RELAX." Remember what the sign says while you are on the phone.

Would you believe that I'm actually an incredibly laid-back person? It's bizarre. But yes, I'll remember.

If you have little brothers or sisters, talk to your parents about them being gone, gone, gone.

Just an older sister, and she's gone gone gone at college. :)

Make sure, if it is a portable phone, that the phone is completely charged. If you live in an area that is prone to power failures, don't plan on using a portable phone. (Crap happens at the worse times.)

Yep, I'll be on my cell...I'll make sure it's perfectly charged.

If you've got someone at school (this won't work with a parent), you might try a practice interview. Or you might be able to get someone from this board who's willing to do it.

I love you for knowing that it won't work with my parents :)

Remember that this is all fun. Relax and enjoy yourself.

You know what? It is fun. At least today.

Thank you SO much.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Janna, and, guys--thank you so much for all your encouragement. I SO appreciate it.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Welllll...haha, the problem is this happens to be the worst week EVER for me to get an agent phone call, haha. It's tech week for my school play and I'm at school everyday until 8. I have smatches of time during my lunch break and in-between school and rehearsal, but I'll be at my school the whole time. So no parents...though theyre' not all that much help in agent issues anyway. ;)

And yep, I'm a minor.

Oh, that reminds me--how long should I expect this phone call to last?

Personally I would budget about 2 hours for this call. Depending on the personality mix, it can last quite a while. Minimum I'd expect is 30 minutes, but the realistic number is probably an hour.

I know when I schedule interviews, I budget 2 hours. That way I don't have to worry about something happening that causes me to have to stop early. I actually usually spend about an hour, but I don't want those worries.

I'd talk with the guidance office and see if I could use someplace and have an excuse if you end up missing a class. This is big league stuff and usually you can sell a school that this is more important than missing a bit of a class. It's on line with a college interview, and think how many kids get out of classes for those.

I love sundaes! Haha, unfortunately, the only place I think I'll be going after the conversation is to rehearsal...

My guess is you won't even be able to remember your name afterwards. Trying to remember your lines is going to be interesting.

Yep, I'll be on my cell...I'll make sure it's perfectly charged.

Check to make sure you get really good reception. If you can, I'd talk to the school about using a land line.

I love you for knowing that it won't work with my parents :)

It won't work with any parent. In this regards, you're not special.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Two hours, oh shit!

Just so you can get a feel for my schedule, here are the times I told him I'm available...and there are literally the ONLY times.

Any weekday between 11:30 AM and 12 PM, except Wednesday (Tuesday and Thursday until 12:30).
Any weekday between 3:20 and 4 PM (Friday until 6).
After 7 PM on Monday or Tuesday.
Anytime before 9:30 AM on Thursday.
Anytime before 6 PM on Saturday.

I'm sorry my schedule's so weird...I hope something in here works for you. If this is too crazy, I'll have after-school afternoons again starting next Monday. I could also probably negotiate cell phone privileges between 8:50 and 9:30 on Monday and Friday...though I might sound half-asleep.

Like, it's ridiculous. I don't have more than an hour of free time at any point...maybe he'll wait until Saturday...do agents work Saturdays? Or maybe he'll just hold out until next week. That would probably be easier for both of us...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can get a lot done in an hour. When he emails to confirm, email back to let him know how long you have at that time.

I don't think I ever spent more than an hour on the phone with my former agent, even when we were in the midst of edits or submissions.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Slim, you're fine.

Looking at your schedule, I'd be going for Monday or Tuesday evening or Saturday. As near as I can tell, agents work hours beyond Monday through Friday 9 - 5. Hours outside of that range can be very helpful, as those are hours agents have to spend dealing with business people.

But you've got a good range, that an agent should be able to work with.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. Well, Monday evening's come and past, so tomorrow or Friday, maybe! And thank you very much. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I have nothing useful to add and no useful experience but:
:TheWave:

Go Shady!!

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
The only reason anyone would hate on you for asking this is jealousy.

Having said that, I think I hate you. But then again, I'm a petty, little man.

Seriously, good luck and just be yourself.