PDA

View Full Version : Maybe moving to Boston?!

JoNightshade
02-26-2008, 03:11 AM
I am SOOOO excited! My husband just got an in-person job interview in Quincy, which is a suburb just south of Boston. BOSTON! He's already done a phone interview and a 6 hour programming test, so it's lookin' pretty darn good...:partyguy:

Anyway we're going next week... I'm going with him so I can check out apartments while he's interviewing.

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I SOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!

BTW if you've spent any time in Boston, do you have any idea how long it takes to get from the "Quincy Center" stop to downtown Boston via the subway/tube? Map here (http://subway.umka.org/maps/boston.gif). I want to find an apartment within walking distance to a stop within half an hour's ride from the Quincy stop, which is where hubby'd be working. But I have no idea what that radius would be. :)

eldragon
02-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Never been to Boston, but it does sound like a very cool place to live.

Hillary
02-26-2008, 03:39 AM
About a half hour, but the T can be funky. (And yes, it's "the T" not the subway or the metro or the tube! ;)) If you have any other questions, let me know, I'll do my best to answer.

ETA: Danger Jane is a good one to ask as well!

JoNightshade
02-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I knew it was called the T but I didn't know if anyone else would know what I was talking about. :)

And I think I found my solution... the MBTA website has a trip-planner that tells you times between stations. Yay!!

I will check with you guys if/when I have more questions...

jst5150
02-26-2008, 03:44 AM
BTW if you've spent any time in Boston, do you have any idea how long it takes to get from the "Quincy Center" stop to downtown Boston via the subway/tube? Map here (http://subway.umka.org/maps/boston.gif). I want to find an apartment within walking distance to a stop within half an hour's ride from the Quincy stop, which is where hubby'd be working. But I have no idea what that radius would be. :)

About 20-30 minutes. :)

SpookyWriter
02-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Congrats and enjoy the move. I don't know the city, but it sounds like a fantastic adventure.

Jongfan
02-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Without delays.. (hehe) 26 minute on the Red Line which you can check out here
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?pt=1&route=RED

Good luck with the job (for hubby) and apartment shopping.
Quincy is a beautiful place, lots of history there, scenic and a great outdoor bar on the marina..

Hillary
02-26-2008, 03:49 AM
And I think I found my solution... the MBTA website has a trip-planner that tells you times between stations. Yay!!

I will check with you guys if/when I have more questions...

The MBTA lies. Or, well, they just like to pretend the trains come regularly. Which... Ha. Hahahahaha. No, wait... BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I can breathe again.

The best is when the Green Line backs up, and no trains come for 15 minutes, and then 4 come, but they express 3 of them by you to Kenmore. The T drives me up a wall sometimes.

jst5150
02-26-2008, 03:51 AM
The MBTA lies. Or, well, they just like to pretend the trains come regularly. Which... Ha. Hahahahaha. No, wait... BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I can breathe again.

The best is when the Green Line backs up, and no trains come for 15 minutes, and then 4 come, but they express 3 of them by you to Kenmore. The T drives me up a wall sometimes.

Yea. WICKED bad. ;)

JoNightshade
02-26-2008, 04:32 AM
Okay so it's sounding like the better idea may be to concentrate my apartment search IN Quincy!! Haha.

JanDarby
02-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Rent prices tend to drop as you go further south from the city, and there may be buses that would get your husband to Quincy, since that's essentially the end of that subway line at the moment (although they've been talking for decades about extending the T to New Bedford).

Check out Braintree and maybe Avon and Randolph, although I don't really know those areas well at all (other than that I was in Randolph earlier today). You can go further south than that too, along Route 3 (although waterfront areas are more expensive) or more inland with Route 24 or Route 95, but beware of Brockton (which has some seriously bad areas), and do check for bus service. There's also commuter rail (Amtrak style, rather than T) along Route 95, down to Providence, with a stop on 128, and I'm guessing there are buses from that train stop to Quincy.

Just some other options to consider. Oh, and there's a great romance-writers community (that's friendly to all genres) in the area. New England Chapter of RWA meets in Wellesley (about half an hour from Quincy) the third Sunday of the month (I think -- if you Google NEC/RWA you'll find their site). Depending on how soon this might happen, you might consider the NEC conference too, which is great. It's in April, I believe.

Oh, and if you're flying into the area, and will be renting a car, consider the Providence airport. Infinitely less hassle, and only a little farther away, considering traffic factors.

JD

Kerr
02-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Good luck Jo. Many great new adventures to write about.

Joycecwilliams
02-26-2008, 06:19 AM
I am SOOOO excited! My husband just got an in-person job interview in Quincy, which is a suburb just south of Boston. BOSTON! He's already done a phone interview and a 6 hour programming test, so it's lookin' pretty darn good...:partyguy:

Anyway we're going next week... I'm going with him so I can check out apartments while he's interviewing.

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I SOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!

Well I am glad your so excited... I personally loathe Boston. I hate going there the drivers and a lot of the people are rude. Give me NYC anyday...
That being said.. There is the Boston Author's Club, I am a member of it. They have free use of research libraries... you may want to check them out on line.

My husband bought his truck in Quincy but I have no idea about the subways. Where are you living now?

JoNightshade
02-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Well I am glad your so excited... I personally loathe Boston. I hate going there the drivers and a lot of the people are rude. Give me NYC anyday...

I am aware of the driving situation there... hence my desire to be very close to a T stop. I do not wish to drive. :) As for the rudeness... well, I'm not expecting to live in the city proper. Cities in general are rude. :)

That being said.. There is the Boston Author's Club, I am a member of it. They have free use of research libraries... you may want to check them out on line.

F-f-free access t-to research l-libraries? ::Jo begins to drool::

My husband bought his truck in Quincy but I have no idea about the subways. Where are you living now?

California! As you can imagine this would be a really big change. Right now we're thinking, Oh crap, how do we move all our crap across the country? :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH, I just found out they want to postpone the interview until the 11th. AGH! Hate waiting!!!!

Susie
02-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I know nothing about Boston, Jo, but wishing you and your hubby much good luck and sure hope he gets the job!

WerenCole
02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I have spent much time in Boston but never actually lived there. I would reiterate the notion of staying away from heavy traffic patterns around the city on a consistent basis. . . growing up in Maine we hate the MassHoles who drive like hell in our pretty little state. They are no better in their own.

On a seperate note, I might be moving to Boston sometime this year as well. Just need to get accepted to grad school first.

Good luck with it all.

Southern_girl29
02-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I've never been there either, but it sounds like an exciting move. Good luck.

Maryn
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
We lived in Boston for three years while Mr. Maryn did grad school. The traffic and parking were daunting enough that I sold my car and used the T and my feet for everything. Mr. Maryn kept his car but mainly used the T and his bike, weather permitting. (He had to change from the green to the red line, so the trip was 20 minutes on a bike, or 45 on the T.)

Although the city itself has a lot of the hassles of any big city, it's also vibrant and wonderfully stimulating. If I had it to do over, I'd probably live farther out and use light rail to reach the T. You can read on the train (and on the T, if you get a seat).

Keep us posted!

Maryn, who visited Boston last winter

sunna
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
II would reiterate the notion of staying away from heavy traffic patterns around the city on a consistent basis. . . growing up in Maine we hate the MassHoles who drive like hell in our pretty little state. They are no better in their own.

This deserves to be quoted for posterity. Whatever happens, just promise me you'll never pull out into oncoming traffic while waiting for someone in the next lane to let you go. :D

We lived on the North Shore for a while. My husband commuted into Cambridge; not a bad trip at all, taking the rail into North station and the T from there. Never having lived in the city limits, I'm not much help there, but there are a lot of great areas north of the city and closer to the ocean if you don't want to brave the traffic patterns and the crowds.

Good luck!

Soccer Mom
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Brrrrrr! Time to stock up on some warm weather clothing!

Sounds like you're very excited about the move, so congrats. I hope he gets the job.

JoNightshade
02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks again everyone! And yeah, yeah, yeah I'm excited. (Actually I'm trying not to be too excited at home so I don't put pressure on the hubby... so I'm dumping it here!) I've lived in two other places where walking and riding public transport was the norm - London and a city in China. I really, really like the non-car lifestyle. It makes you healthier, you don't have to stress in traffic, etc. etc. I was never in such good shape as when I was doing four flights of stairs at least three times a day, and had to walk to get my groceries or eat out. I think that's the one big plus I really like about Boston, if we can just find the right apartment.

Jongfan
02-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Here's a few fun facts for you to laugh at while you wait..

Welcome to Bawstin (Boston)

For those of you who have never been to "Bawstin", this is a good
guideline. I hope you will consider coming to "Beantown" in the near
future. For those who call New England home, this is just plain great!
Information on Boston and the surrounding area:

There's no school on School Street, no court on Court Street, no dock
on Dock Square, no water on Water Street. Back Bay streets are in
alphabetical "oddah": Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, etc.
So are South Boston streets: A, B, C, D, etc. If the streets are named
after trees (e.g. Walnut, Chestnut, Cedar), you're on Beacon Hill. If
they're named after poets, you're in Wellesley.
Massachusetts Ave is Mass Ave; Commonwealth Ave is Comm Ave; South
Boston is Southie. The South End is the South End.
E ast Boston is Eastie. The North End is east of the former West End.
The West End and Scollay S quare are no more; a guy named Rappaport
got rid of them one night. Roxbury is The Burry, Jamaica Plain is J.P.

How to say these Massachusetts city names correctly:
**Say it wrong, be shunned**
Worcester: Wuhsta (or Wistah)
Gloucester : Glawsta
Leicester Lesta
Woburn: Wooban
Dedham : Dead-um
Revere: Re-vee-ah
Quincy: Quinzee
Tewksbury : Tooks berry
Leominster : Lemin-sta
Peabody: Pee-ba-dee
Waltham : Walth-ham
Chatham: Chaddum
Samoset: Sam-oh-set or Sum-aw-set but nevah Summerset!

Definitions:
Frappes have ice cream, milkshakes don't.
If it is fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.
Soda is CLUB SODA.
"Pop" is Dad.
When we want Tonic WATER, we will ask for Tonic WATER.
The smallest beer is a pint.
Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more
than $6/pound, you got scrod.
It's not a water fountain; it's a bubblah.
It's not a trashcan; it's a barrel.
It's n ot a spucky, a hero or grinder,... it's a sub.
It's not a shopping cart; it's a carriage.
It's not a purse; it's a pockabook.
They're not franks; they're haht dahgs; Franks are money in Switzahland.

Police don't drive patrol units or black and whites they drive a "crooza".
If you take the bus, your on the "looza crooza".
It's not a rubber band, it's an elastic.
It's not a traffic circle, it's a rotary.
"Going to the islands" means Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket
The Sox = The Red Sox
The C's = The Celtics
The B's = The Bruins

Things not to do:

Don't pahk your cah in Hahvid Yahd .. they'll tow it to Meffa
(Medford) or Summahville (Somerville).
Don't sleep on the Common. (Boston Common)
Don't wear Orange in Southie on St. Patrick's Day.

Things you should know:

There are two State Houses, two City Halls, two courthouses, two
Hancock buildings (one old, one new for each).

The colored light s on top the old Hancock tell the weatha':
"Solid blue, clear view...."
"Flashing blue, clouds due...."
"Solid red, rain ahead...."
"Flashing red, snow instead...." - (except in summer; flashing red
means the Red Sox game was rained out)

Rout e 128 is also I-95 south. It's also I-93 north. ??? Go figger?
Most people live here all their life and still don't know what the
hell is going on with this one.

The underground train is not a subway. It's the "T", and it doesn't
run all night (fah chrysakes, this ain't Noo Yawk).
Order the "cold tea" in China Town after 2:00 am you'll get a kettle
full of beer.

Bostonians... think that it's their God-given right to cut off someone
in traffic.
Bostonians...think that there are only 25 letters in the alphabet (no
R's - except in "idea").
Bostonians...think that three straight days of 90+ tempera tures is a
heat wave.
Bostonians...refer to six inches of snow as a "dusting."
B ostonians...always "bang a left" as soon as the light turns green,
and oncoming traffic always expects it.
Bostonians...believe that using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
Bostonians...think that 63-degree ocean water is warm.
Bostonians...think Rhode Island accents are annoying.

Perks
02-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks again everyone! And yeah, yeah, yeah I'm excited. (Actually I'm trying not to be too excited at home so I don't put pressure on the hubby... so I'm dumping it here!) I've lived in two other places where walking and riding public transport was the norm - London and a city in China. I really, really like the non-car lifestyle. It makes you healthier, you don't have to stress in traffic, etc. etc. I was never in such good shape as when I was doing four flights of stairs at least three times a day, and had to walk to get my groceries or eat out. I think that's the one big plus I really like about Boston, if we can just find the right apartment.I very much love that about a city. Makes me homesick. Waaaaaaah!